Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Gratz, Matti! Great ship, great work and a prize, for sure. ^_^

Stupendous work Matti, very well done mate.

Be Very Very Proud.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Beautiful build, Matti.

Myself (and several work colleagues) are really going to miss your Wasa updates.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Matti, I beginn wishing you Gott Nytt Ar.

Wasa turned out amazing. A true masterpiece.

I understand the mixed feelings. How are you keep her protected while building the case?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Wow thanks for the kind words everyone, they mean alot!

Per, I keep her on the fridge, high up so no accidents happen. Nice place as it's quick to get going, I rarely build in the workhop now as there are no nasty fumes or plastic dust.

I've made some progress on the displaycase and managed to get the legs from the old table fastened. Next is making the construction sturdy. Actually I did that job in the workshop as I had to make custom parts to make the legs fit.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks Mike and Law! Earlier in the build before I decided to make her in this halfrigged stage, I planned to use the display case to keep her in during the later stages. Therefore I allready bought one and thought through how I wanted it. Now hopefully I just have to put it together, if I pull it off.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti.... you are one of the best builders here, your work is just outstanding,this is definitely a museum quality build. Thanks

for sharing your talent with us. Waiting to see whats next!!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Matti.....you built the perfect cliff hanger!   I was expecting to see the start of the second stepping of the masts.  I go back to work,  from my holiday vacation.........and return to hear you are finished!   AWWWWWWWW!  :)  :D

I'm not sad though.......I got to see the most detailed build of this vessel....than I perhaps have ever seen!  you have created such a masterful piece of art.   I have the Billing instructions for her  {someone else was building her at the time}.  to go full mast,  she would be over 31 inches tall.........think of the case you'd need to build!  she's a mammoth 38 1/2 inches long, as it is..........just with what you've done....that equates to a very large case!!!  she's a beautiful build,  my friend..........can't wait to see what your next subject will be!

congrats in building a very interesting ship.......it's much more than  "just a model"!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm in the same group as popeye: untill now i did not realize that you would stop after setting up the lower masts.

But, in fact, it helps setting your model even further apart from all those out of the box stuff.

I've said itbefore:this one is amongst the best Wasa models i've seen ( if not: the best)

Jan

Matti,

Hope you are doing well in the New Year!

Your Wasa build is inspiring and Thank You for sharing!

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hola Matti:

I just finished my Vasa model, and I realize I do not know the meaning of Vasa (or Wasa?). Try to look at Google as well as the Swedish translators but without result.

Maybe you can satisfy my curiosity.

Saludos, Karl

Thanks JM, once you get what goes where she builds in to a nice model. Feel free to ask and perhaps me or the other Billing Vasa builders can help.

Karl, your model turned out beautyful!

Vasa was a regal class ship, a kings powerful ship named after his heraldic name. Regal ships where usually named after things that were symbols of the king, The Spectre, The Crown, The Sword, The Apple (like Vasa sister ship Äpplet) and so on. Vasa is the family name (heraldic name?) of the king Gustav II Adolf. We call the time period between 1521-1654 vasatiden (The Vasa time) in swedish history because of these kings (and one queen). The V or W is because they had no clear spelling rules back then and wrote anyway they wanted.

Here's their heraldic symbol, same as on the Vasa ship. The thing in the middle is a vasakärve, a bundle of seed.  These symbols are still common is swedish authorities.

200px-COA_country_se_house_of_Vasa.svg.p

I just finished the display case and got the model inside. The case is customized with a set of legs from an old table I had and some planks to fasten them. The display case is shortened to fit the model amd get nicer proportions of it.

post-3739-0-94294100-1424650326_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hola Matti:

Thank you for your explanation about the origin of the name Vasa.  

Interpreting your explanation I understand the origin of the name comes from the word vasakärve probably to show the abundance of wealth and prosperity that gives "bundle of seeds" and so become as a symbol of the King. Is that so?

Saludos, Karl

PS. Nice display cabinet. I must to do one to protect the model.

Thanks!

Well, it may be a something called a stormvase also. That's a bundle used by soldiers to get protection during battles. The Vasa symbol seems to have changed over the years and your interpretation of it as a symbol of wealth could also be true in this later version. I'm not sure, but the word vasakärve may actually originate from this symbol, not the other way around.

I feel I'm having problems explainig this in english, sorry.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

200px-COA_country_se_house_of_Vasa.svg.p

I just finished the display case and got the model inside. The case is customized with a set of legs from an old table I had and some planks to fasten them. The display case is shortened to fit the model amd get nicer proportions of it.

attachicon.gifwasan372.jpg

Cheers!

/Matti

A very classy case that fits the classy subject matter,........Well Done!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Thanks!

Well, it may be a something called a stormvase also. That's a bundle used by soldiers to get protection during battles. The Vasa symbol seems to have changed over the years and your interpretation of it as a symbol of wealth could also be true in this later version. I'm not sure, but the word vasakärve may actually originate from this symbol, not the other way around.

I feel I'm having problems explainig this in english, sorry.

/Matti

The english equivalent to what you describe is called a fascine.  Pretty close to vasa, I would say.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Hola Matti:

Thanks again for your explanation.  

By the way,somehow I missed your last pages of your log and I didn't realize that you already finish your model until I saw it in the display cabinet.  Your version, like the original ship in the museum looks splendid!!!

Congratulations, Karl