Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:48 - POF

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I visit this build, I am astounded at your skill and your sensitivity to form.  As incredible as the woodwork is, the rigging is even more impressive.  Every part of this is aspirational.  This is just such a magnificent all-around effort!

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

By my calculations you have rigged your magnificent model in less than a year. The speed and accuracy with which you work is inspiring (and intimidating)! Do you spend a full day in the workshop or is this just part time for you?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Very nice work Marsalv, I might have to try making belaying pins on my lathe as I don’t have enough.

I will keep this forum up for later reference Ferrus thank you.

Thank you guys for nice comments and all likes.

To Strelok - my next project will be L´Amarante according to plan G. Delacroix.

To dvm27 - The only advantage of my age (really the only one) is that I am now retired and therefore have plenty of time to build the model. But this does not mean that it is a full-time job - it is usually 3-4 hours a day.

Preparation of anchors for hanging - buoy, fish strops.

LGV_1407.jpg

LGV_1408.jpg

LGV_1409.jpg

LGV_1410.jpg

LGV_1411.jpg

LGV_1412.jpg

LGV_1413.jpg

LGV_1414.jpg

LGV_1415.jpg

LGV_1416.jpg

Masterful just under sells how good this is. Enjoyable just seeing the photos, the detailed knots and rigging show elements I didn’t know existed having done much inferior rigging that until now I thought was pretty good. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Marsalv, I've picked up a signpost to this build and it's fantastic. I haven't yet read through from the beginning but you are making me very keen to purchase a CNC mill & lathe. That said, it's one thing to get the machine to cut the parts, quite another to bring them all together into such a gorgeous model.

One question (which may be answered if I read the whole log) - have you got all of the critical design information from the monograph? I've never even seen a monograph but it sounds like something I'd like.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

To Kevin-the-lubber - The materials in the monograph are well prepared and provide all the important information for building the model. However, if any information is missing or there is any ambiguity, Gerard Delacroix (the author of the monograph) will be very willing and quick to answer the relevant questions.

So the anchors are placed in their places, so to complete the model, all that remains is to make two boats.

LGV_1419.jpg

LGV_1420.jpg

LGV_1421.jpg

LGV_1422.jpg

LGV_1423.jpg

LGV_1424.jpg

LGV_1425.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, but I'd be concerned about the short grain on the futtocks, the way you have them oriented on the sheet. Placed on the diagonal would be better.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv