Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:48 - POF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a pleasure to be able to follow the creation of these magnificent blocks ! What a mastery !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

I know it's likely a matter of the angle and position of the camera.  However, it's a good thing you put the skylight in so the masts can stand tall.    😉

Looking great and a lot of visual information on how you assembled components. 

Edited by robert952

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Thank you guys for very nice comments. Preparing to make these blocks was quite a challenge for me. But the result exceeded all my expectations. Uncritically, I have to admit that I myself am very satisfied with the result.B).

To Hsae - The blocks are made with a CNC milling machine, not from Proxxon, but a commonly available Chinese milling machine. The material for the blocks is pear.

The construction of the model moved to the next stage - rigging. I start by attaching the bowsprit.

LGV_1247.jpg

LGV_1248.jpg

LGV_1249.jpg

LGV_1250.jpg

LGV_1251.jpg

LGV_1252.jpg

LGV_1253.jpg

LGV_1254.jpg

LGV_1255.jpg

LGV_1256.jpg

Absolutely brilliant stuff - your blocks are second to none, and the whole model places you (in my humble estimation) in the upper pantheon of builders.  It is so exquisite, in every way, that it never fails to inspire.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

If so, sign me up!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

If he's giving lessons, sign me up and maybe all of us can a group rate for a hotel.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Phenomenal clean work indeed Vladimir. Would you mind sharing dome from  " cooking recipes"  how you handle fuzziness on ropes? Its all very clean wow. 

IT will be great learning to watch french rig from start to finish. I would Guess frigates wouldnt have much different rigging. There is All clear in ancre, it will be great visual help for anyone attempting to rig french vessel. im totally new regarding 19 century rig ,  Watching with interest. V. 

I am very pleased with the positive reactions to the use of a CNC milling machine in the construction of the model, but to be honest, I myself would need a lot of lessons from more experienced people (at least as far as 3D computer modeling is concerned).:)

To Vladimir_Wairoa: I use French Sajou threads, which are waxed (at least that's what the manufacturer says), so I don't have so many problems with "hair" on the ropes.

I continue making pendants and lower mast shrouds.

LGV_1257.jpg

LGV_1258.jpg

LGV_1259.jpg

LGV_1260.jpg

LGV_1261.jpg

LGV_1262.jpg

LGV_1263.jpg

LGV_1264.jpg

LGV_1265.jpg

LGV_1266.jpg