HMS Atalanta 1775 by tlevine - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

These are the frames and their width dimension fore and aft (as opposed to the molded dimension ... inwards or athwartships) is determined by the room and space specification for that particular frame station.  It can be different along the length of the ship.

Look at how smart I seem   B) ... don't be fooled   ;) ... I just learnt this a while ago.  :rolleyes: 

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Greg, the fore-aft width of the frame is 0.19" and the top of frame thickness is 0.13" at midship.  I hope that answers your question.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

It is time to make some of the decorative rails.  Suggested patterns for the rail profiles are given in TFFM.  I use thin dental cutting discs which are 0.009" in thickness.  They are inexpensive and readily available on EBay.  Of course, they are brittle so eye protection is a must.  I am lucky to have an old Emesco dental engine which gives me slow variable speed without any play in the handpiece.  I cut the profiles into the sharp end of a regular single edge razor blade.  On this razor blade I have four different profiles and one oops.  I have also used Exacto blades for this.  Stock which is slightly oversized is used for the moldings.  This prevents the cutter from moving too much side-to-side during the scraping process.  

post-262-0-09383300-1459639536_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-81324500-1459639534_thumb.jpg

The tuck molding is located at the junction of the hull planking and the lower counter.  This molding has an undercut on its back surface to compensate for the curve of the hull.  The profile was carried over to the outer edge of the molding.  The discoloration in the wood of the counter is bleed through from applying finish internally and (hopefully) will not be seen when the exterior finish is applied.

post-262-0-40761500-1459639537_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-85008500-1459639538_thumb.jpg

The waist rail is located just below the frieze.  I will add the extreme fore and aft pieces after the rails and quarter badge have been installed.

post-262-0-86804200-1459639540_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-97404100-1459639541_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-10638800-1459639543_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Very nice work Toni.  I find myself using the dental machine almost daily - it's replaced my pin vises in most instances.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Very nice work on the rails and molding, Toni. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really wonderful work, Toni

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Mark, Christian and Albert thank you for you comments.  Kurt, I agree.  I wish it was a little more portable.  Mine is wall-mounted.  When I was in training, these are the exact type of drill that we used to learn how to perform ear surgery.

A little more work got accomplished today.  The fore channel has been cut out and thinned towards the outer edge.  A rebate is cut into it for a strip of molding.  On the razor blade the profile is the second one from the right.  I wet the molding to navigate the bend in the channel and clamped it until dry.  

post-262-0-87584800-1459717226_thumb.jpg

The chain plates are drawn in on the masking tape.  This allowed correct placement and angle of the notches in the channel.  Three knees prevent upward pull of the channel.  In the picture it looks like the channel is angled upwards.  It actually is parallel to the waterline.

post-262-0-94280300-1459717227_thumb.jpg

Toni

Looking great! I'm making note of that technique for the moundings.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Very nice work Toni,

I like your "razor blade" scraping tool, never tried it myself yet, but your results look very inspiring and good :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Druxey and Elijah.  Nils, the key is to get the super thin cutting discs.  I have also made these with Exacto chisel blades.  Those are sturdier but for the few feet of molding required in this build, I consider it overkill. The razor blades are much easier to cut fine detail into.

Toni

David, there are several brands.  My guess is that they are all the same.

Toni

G'day Toni

Great job on the woodworking of the rails. The GEM razer blade idea is brilliant! It will go into my memory vault.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

There are only two port covers.  The aft one is for the last cannon.  The covers are made of two layers of wood;  the interior is vertical and the exterior matches the run of planking.  The frieze was painted before the hinge straps were added.

post-262-0-63704300-1460147480_thumb.jpg

The hinges were made of the pieces seen in the photograph and then silver soldered.  

post-262-0-65028600-1460147497_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-94069200-1460147511_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-93588500-1460147530_thumb.jpg

There are eyebolts on the inner and outer faces of the gun port and three additional bolts.   The rigging will be added after the exterior hull is a little more complete to prevent damage.

post-262-0-92194500-1460147546_thumb.jpg

The fore port cover is smaller and allows airflow to the fore part of the ship.  It is hinged on its fore side to prevent it from being blown open.  There is an eyebolt on the inside face.  It appears to be hanging lopsided.  This is an optical illusion caused by the curved shape of the hull.

post-262-0-14001100-1460147561_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-09303800-1460147578_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-12551200-1460147595_thumb.jpg

Toni

G'day Toni.

Excellent work on the port lids and the fine details in the painting. The hinges are brilliant.

Happymodelling

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Robin, Druxey David, Greg and Grant thank you for your kind comments.  Looking at the pictures I am somewhat unhappy with the file marks on the hinges. However, in reality, the marks are almost not visible.  And to redo them is not in the cards!

Toni

Toni, I have found over the years that close up photos tend to accent things you normally do not notice or see.  As far as I am concerned your work is flawless.

David B

Toni, I have found over the years that close up photos tend to accent things you normally do not notice or see.  As far as I am concerned your work is flawless.

David B

I agree with David B.

Beside on the realship, the hinges weren't perfectly smooth because the Black Smith would have left marks all over it.

Besides, no one would us a jeweler's loop to examine your port lids.

Happymodelling

Greg

• 1 month later...

I can't believe it has been over a month since I posted to the buildlog.  Unfortunately, I have not had much time to work on Atalanta.

The chesstree and the fenders are relatively simple structures, being essentially a straight piece of wood with a taper towards the water.  Make this taper first on an overly thick piece of wood and then sand the inside of the piece to match the curvature of the hull.  There is a groove scored on the outboard side.  Since the width of the piece decreases inferiorly, each groove must be cut in separately rather than together with a scraper.  I used a single tooth scraper to make the groove and then turned the piece around to cut the other side.  The chesstree had a sheave built into it.  I simulated the sheave by drilling holes at the top and bottom of the sheave opening and then used a chisel to carve the sheave.

post-262-0-59780600-1463451085_thumb.jpg

The next step (no pun intended) was to make the six steps.  These were made up by scraping a molding for the mid-portion and then laminating three strips of wood, two on top and one on the bottom to the molding.  The sides of the steps were shaped with needle files and an 11 blade.  

post-262-0-10131300-1463451097_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-82197300-1463451088_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-85004900-1463451090_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-51242900-1463451092_thumb.jpg

The steps fixed to the wale were painted black.  The frieze was carried over the outer surface of the top step.  I left the top of the step solid blue.

post-262-0-32060800-1463451093_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-81432200-1463451094_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-99977300-1463451095.jpg

The main and mizzen channels were added next.  These are pinned and epoxied to the hull since, in my past experience, they are easily knocked off.  The ironwork for the channels is next.

post-262-0-08310200-1463451087_thumb.jpg

Toni

Sweet work, Toni.  That matching the frieze is some impressive painting.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)