Germania Nova 1911 by KeithAug - FINISHED - Scale 1:36 - replica of schooner Germania 1908

Im getting annoyed with myself that i am not finishing off this build, but thanks to everyone for sticking with me. I suppose that I was having and aversion to fixing mistakes but this weekend I managed to overcome my prevarication and fixed the problem.

As I previously said the upper fore mast back stay had been rigged as a fixed stay. During a discussion on the complexity of tacking the fisherman it became obvious that I should have fitted a pair of running back stays with only the windward stay taking the load. Although I hadn't fitted a fisherman the change was made necessary by the nagging voice in my head. The change necessitated the production of 5 more twin blocks (one of which I managed to misplace).

IMG_0435.thumb.jpeg.90d87803715b2b853bbe0d28f172ae6b.jpeg

I found the 5th after a half hour hunt!!!!!!!!!!

The fixed stay was removed and replaced by a pair of back stays wrapped around the upper fore mast,

IMG_0431.thumb.jpeg.c0f9222bea69a993ae8279b79c0c70ac.jpeg

IMG_0539.thumb.jpeg.5fecfdebfa4680eabf4da3a934b847d4.jpeg

The pair were led to the twin block mounted high on the main mast.

IMG_0428.thumb.jpeg.f3e5a8966058c5fb43c75fc3b8e39061.jpeg

IMG_0542.thumb.jpeg.43cd59e6afc16da125fb46be7d09a4d0.jpeg

I had to remove a couple of deck hard points to mount the blocks - luckily they were glued in with CA and came free neatly with the application of a soldering iron. See hole next to the uppermost hand wheel. I managed to knock the hand wheel off (its smaller than it looks) and spent a good hour getting it back on - idiot!!!

IMG_0370.thumb.jpeg.5aa0fd73113797db803ec202248ea2bf.jpegIMG_0355.thumb.jpeg.1981ac1047377f4316eab4c1084b17e4.jpeg

Rigging the blocks was the easy bit - but just twice ad difficult as it would have been had it got it right in the first place.

IMG_0436.thumb.jpeg.da7ba9534cdd5b4dcf41878fb97e1320.jpeg

IMG_0442.thumb.jpeg.1f4694dc2009313998a1168cb3fff356.jpeg

It now feels fixed but most people won't notice.

IMG_0549.thumb.jpeg.a7025fe366d1d185bad81eb5eed26e29.jpeg

I also made some progress on the flags but dinner is ready so that will have to wait until next time.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nicely fixed, Keith. It's annoying enough having to re-do things inside a maze of obstacles, but misplacing a block as well.... Anyway, well done.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice job on the alterations. Glad to see that you were able to locate your missing block assembly. Nothing more frustrating than having to re-do work. 

How right you are, finishing up a build is a lot harder than it seems. I still look back at my previous ones and think, I need add a little bit of this and that, or a tweak here and an adjustment there. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Kieth,

Your work is beautiful!

But I don't understand why you ran the two backstays through the double block on the main mast. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of the two backstays. The geometry is all wrong.

As you have it rigged it having two stays is no different than one. Both create the same triangle aligned along the centerline with the main mast. There is no support for the transverse forces acting on the mast, and that is the purpose of the stays.

The idea behind running backstays is that the two stays lead to opposite sides of the vessel, creating a triangle on each side to support the mast and take the strain of the sail. The downwind stay is slacked to avoid interference with the gaff sail, and the upwind stay is tightened to take the strain on the mast.

Shouldn't each stay end in a luff tackle belayed to a point on deck close to the bulwark, port and starboard?

4 hours ago, Dr PR said:

But I don't understand why you ran the two backstays through the double block on the main mast. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of the two backstays. The geometry is all wrong.

Phil,

I probably didn't explain it well enough.

When rigged the fishermans sail is hoisted between the two stays and the downwind stay is loosened to allow the sail to take the correct shape. With the fisherman set only one back stay is bracing the fore top mast at any one time. Because I have not installed the fisherman I have tightened both back stays. When tightened the load path is from the top of the fore top mast to the top of the main mast. The majority of the load is then transmitted to the deck via the main mast back stays. The blocks tightening the twin fore top mast back stays are split on to port and starboard beams. 

Thank you Druxey and Brian for commenting.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Kieth,

Thanks for the explanation. This arrangement is new to me (as are a lot of things about schooner rigging).

I understand why the leeward stay was slacked to allow the sail to catch the wind. And I see how your stays function as a backstay to transfer forces to the mainmast top. Marquardt (The Global Schooner, Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, Maryland, U.S.A., 2003, page 179) describes your fore and aft running stay that leads from the fore topmast down to the main masthead and then to the deck as a "schooner stay." However he seems to be talking about a stay the runs from the fore mast top to the main mast top, and not from a point near the top of the fore topmast.

I was thinking of the running backstays used on some schooners where the stays were secured to points behind the mast and outboard at the bulwark. In this way the stay took not only the strain from the forward forces on the mast, but also some of the lateral forces.

The stays usually had a tackle (luff tackle or gun tackle) at the bottom end. The windward stay was belayed to a point outboard and aft of the mast, and the tackle drawn tight to take the strain. The leeward stay tackle was slackened and the tackle moved forward to a point outboard the mast. This allowed the gaff sail boom to swing wide outboard on the downwind side to catch the wind.

Hi Keith,

I like your design of the stand, very nice idea.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Once again thank you all for your continued interest.

I finally finished the outstanding bits but as yet haven't taken a comprehensive set of completion photos. Here are the final bits of the build and a few photos.

The burgee carries the owners flag. This contains of the boats name stars and a swallow. I made this up at A4 scale using powerpoint. The swallow was drawn freehand, pricked out on a piece of card out out and glued on. As the burgee was being reduced down to about 1/4 x 3/8 inch I wasn't too worried about the pin holes.IMG_0350.thumb.jpeg.a60ff082fc1823301d40a9b98e55699d.jpeg

DSC02335.thumb.JPG.27fcd490b0c7d3f1467273d3f1999164.JPG

The pig stick was made out of brass wire. 

DSC02336.thumb.JPG.77fe42b6293a9b9cda4a952e9530c359.JPG

It was then hoisted on the fore top sail.

IMG_0924.thumb.jpeg.5e488baf3fd14430df624e00a2ce3c0e.jpeg

The ensign was then made from paper. This was printed in two operations with the paper flipped over and aligned to get the two images perfectly symmetrical. I may make it again with thinner paper but for the moment it will suffice. The paper was bent round a pencil to get it to hang as if their was a very gently breeze. as you can see from the ensign the boat is registered in a "port of convenience".

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.2d5e6f067780076b1ea7e9da37f9fb0c.jpeg

IMG_0904.thumb.jpeg.72f60d3369e0b9a5b35f9f46bdc93b89.jpeg

I then tried a few shots of the deck but was dissatisfied with the general builders dust over the deck surfaces. This curtaiedl my photography efforts but i did take one shot peeking through the open door of the deckhouse. I will clean the model and then take more shots before posing them over the next few weeks.

IMG_0932.thumb.jpeg.e0ba3ede38d2305b56208f58fa3fd123.jpeg

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Its only when close up shots appear that you begin to appreciate the level of detail and complexity of this tremendous model. have you kept a log of the hours invested so far? Looking forward to the gallery shots!

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Your Germania comes as close to perfect as any model i've had the pleasure to view. Keith, thank you for allowing us to journey with you on your build. I've enjoyed every post and have been inspired by all. Congratulations! 

Absolutely amazing details Keith! What a fantastic journey it has been following along. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for your next project. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Just a wonderful model Keith and a testimony to your efforts and talent.  I'm looking forward to the gallery photos and also your next model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent work Keith. Quite the journey on this build lots to absorb.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

What an outstanding model Keith; it has been a true pleasure to watch you bring her along.  She is a testament to your skills.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Keith, perhaps you should put a cheap tablet or something like that to the model that shows images of the path and also images of those things inside that are barely visible?

Otherwise, I can only echo, what the others have already said 👍 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

6 hours ago, wefalck said:

Keith, perhaps you should put a cheap tablet or something like that to the model that shows images of the path and also images of those things inside that are barely visible?

Eberhard - I sort of had a similar thought. I was wondering about getting a name plaque made that includes the web address of this build log and maybe even a QR code. This begs the question about the longevity of MSW or maybe even the internet. I wonder what the shelf life will be of internet information - possibly longer than a tablet.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:21 AM, FlyingFish said:

have you kept a log of the hours invested so far

Andy - sadly not, I think I would be alarmed!!!!!

On 2/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, mbp521 said:

Can’t wait to see what the future holds for your next project. 

Thank you Brian.

Brian / Mark - I think I am well on the way to amassing enough information to attempt Cangarda. 1:48 or 1:36 scale would be sensible but I am wondering about the non sensible scale of 1:24.

Screenshot2023-02-22at16_51_08.thumb.png.ef2112d295d63e4e1cd66bf3233ebce1.png

Andy Druxey, Keith, Brian, Rick, Mark, Michael, Richard, Pat, Roger, Eberhard - Thank you all for your comments and also thanks to all of you that have contributed to and like the build over past 4 years.

Just think it, 4 years older and according to my wife not an hour better!

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

12 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

I am well on the way to amassing enough information to attempt Cangarda

I can't wait, a pretty lass with steam power to boot. 

1 minute ago, Roger Pellett said:

You better check ceiling heights before deciding on a scale!

It'll be the floor model. :)

Half-cut away model showing a (non-working) scale steam-engine and boilers?

These old steam-yachts are a lovely, steam-punky sort of crowd ... some years ago, we happend to be in Nice, when a childhood friend of my wife called her to wish her 'Happy Birthday'. When she asked, where he was, he said "in Nice" (he works on 'super-yachts' as an IT engineer). When we asked, where to find him, he replied "that's easy, just look out for the biggest boat in the old harbour, where normally cruise-ships berth". However, in spite of the 'glitz', helicopter and all, I found the old 1920s steam-yacht on the other side of harbour much more classy and desirable ...

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

I think I am well on the way to amassing enough information to attempt Cangarda. 1:48 or 1:36 scale would be sensible but I am wondering about the non sensible scale of 1:24.

I will definitely following along on that beauty! Looks like fun, can't wait.

1:24 *cough *cough....😁

-Brian

Keith, thanks for taking the time to share this remarkable build with all of us. There was so much great information, particularly the metalworking, that taught us all a lot. A wonderful accomplishment!

On to Cangarda! I'd expect she'll be an easier build, given the simpler rigging and less deck hardware, unless you decide to do a cut-away and depict below decks and the engine room. In that case, probably twice the work, at least! :D 

Or... how about a working steam-powered pond model?

送料無料 斎藤製作所 SAITO モデル スチーム エンジン MODEL STEAM ENGINE T3DR - 【クリアランスセール】 - active-sports.main.jp

ages of sail - Contact Us

Edited by Bob Cleek

15 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Or... how about a working steam-powered pond model?

Bob - many years ago I built a pond model which in the end I never sailed because I was wary of it getting damaged. Ever since I have focused on display models. 

I am planning to represent some of the engine room and other below deck areas in so far as as they can be seen through the skylights. One of the reasons for considering the 1:24 scale is that I can do a much more accurate job of the deck house interiors. 

The deck and rigging complication is that they are the areas where I have the minimum of detail. In due course I may be putting out a plea to MSW members for any photographs they may have.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

23 hours ago, KeithAug said:

I am wondering about the non sensible scale of 1:24

Great subject for a build - especially if you can take the wife cruising in it.

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76