HMS Winchelsea (1764) 32 gun frigate GROUP PROJECT INFO

F9288-007.gif

You can link to the HMS Winchelsea Group Project here.....Click Here

This group is just getting started and we encourage all of you join.  This is a wonderful introduction to scratch building techniques.   You can scratch build this entire project or buy some  portions of it as laser cut parts.  You only buy those parts that you need and if you are comfortable building them from scratch or willing to try, this is the perfect project to learn those skills.

This model is 1/4" scale and plank on bulkhead in design.  The completed model will be 38" long in this scale.

If you have any questions about this group before joining...please reply to this topic and ask away.   

As this project is just getting off the ground, if you are planning to join, can you please start a build log for it now so we can get a better idea of how many will be participating.  This will give us time to make sure we have enough parts in stock should folks want to buy them.  Thank You.  It would be a big help.

Please start a log in the group just under my prototype build log and let us know how you plan to build the model.  Will it be 100% scratch built?   Will you be using Yellow cedar?  Boxwood?  or other wood species?  Will you be sticking with the 1/4" scale?   

As soon as we can add the access to the NRG store....click here....we will start granting access and get this group started.

Chuck

I just received word that the group is now officially open.

To get access one must go to the NRG Store  and supply your Model Ship World (MSW) user name and proceed to pay the $15 access charge. Upon receipt of the payment the NRG Office will notify Chuck to grant access to you.  Chuck will permit access by sending you an invitation to the private downloads area.  Please allow a few days as Chuck is the only one able to provide access.  You will see your invitation in the notifications area at the top of the screen.  Its the same place that notifies you if there are replies to topics you are following etc.  Once you click on your invitation you will be taken to a screen that says "Accept Chucks invitation"  Or "turn down Chucks invitation".

DONT click on "turn down invitation".  Click the other one.  :)

Once you have access you can access and download the plans at any time – your access is perpetual.

We are excited to bring this project and hope to see some new build logs soon.  Please start one and join in on all the fun.

If you have trouble finding the HMS Winchelsea downloads area after getting your invitation please contact Chuck via PM. 

Let me know if you have any questions.  Happy modelling!!!!

and DONT FORGET TO READ THE COPYRIGHT AGREEMENT.    By joining the group you agree to abide by the use policy rules set up for the of the plans.

Almost forgot....those of you who wont be building this model entirely from scratch but want to buy the laser cut parts,  you will see them in stock on my Syren store buy this weekend.  

Click Here to access the Winchelsea store page for any laser cut parts, carvings, cannon and other materials.   These will pop up for sale as I progress with the prototype model.

I am going to start by stocking the laser cut packages for the first two installments in Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  I will hold off on making the Cherry versions.  But if you would prefer to build it in Cherry,  let me know here.   Because if there are no takers, I will just concentrate on keeping the Cedar versions in stock.   Production time is limited.

Plywood bulkheads will take longer to stock as I am outsourcing those.  I should have them in a couple of weeks.  But if you own a scroll saw.  Try cutting them yourself on some 1/4" ply.   You will learn a lot and save a lot.

Chuck

We have had about 20 people sign up.....but only a few have started their build logs.  As I said before, it would be a HUGE help if you guys who joined would start your build logs.  I realize there are a lot of plans collectors out there....but please, if you plan on actually building the model, can you start your build logs and let me know if you plan on using any of the laser cut parts during the build.   I dont have a lot of time in the shop for production with many things to laser cut.   It would seriously help me out knowing how many sets I need to cut.

And remember, do not pass these plans along to other builders after you sign up.  These are for your own personal use ONLY.   That wouldnt be in the spirit of the project.  I have already had one request for parts from someone who hasnt signed up but said he was given the plans.   That isnt good.   Its taking advantage of the spirit of the project.   Its only $15 for crying out loud!!!  I cant catch a break.

Building the Winchelsea is in my projects but not right now. I'm currently finishing the Queen Anne Barge and have the Medway longboat in the starting blocks 😊

I do not have the necessary tools (no scroll saw, table saw or mill) for the moment. I will probably  wait on the plywood bulkhead set as the purchase of a scroll saw is currently not planned.

I would also use the laser cut parts.

Edited by JpR62

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Great...that is all I need to know Jean-Paul.   And by the way, I should have the first installment of laser cut parts available by this evening and in stock.  Ten sets.  I do also have one set of bulkheads which I will list in my store as I await the next batch.  I should have the second installment of laser parts in stock by Monday.   

Chuck

Chuck, I have downloaded the plans, but am forcing myself to finish my other projects first before starting.  I should be good to go around 2030.  I'd do 100% scratch, anyway (also thinking about reducing everything and creating a mini-model out of this).

Alan

Just purchased the plans from the NRG store.

Looking forward to the forum and build!

Thanks Chuck for all your hard work.

CURRENT BUILD:

HMS Winchelsea, 1764 ~ 1:48 scale

COMPLETED BUILDS:

New Bedford Whaleboat ~ 1:16 scale

Ships in Bottles Models

Card Stock Nautical Models

~Donor & Member of Nautical Research Guild~

On 8/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, Chuck said:

You are very welcome.  I hope you will build her and start a build log.

Chuck

Planning to start the build as soon as  finish my whaleboat

And I will start a build log!  😊

Edited by RBohlman

CURRENT BUILD:

HMS Winchelsea, 1764 ~ 1:48 scale

COMPLETED BUILDS:

New Bedford Whaleboat ~ 1:16 scale

Ships in Bottles Models

Card Stock Nautical Models

~Donor & Member of Nautical Research Guild~

There are about 15 members who were given access and invited to the downloads forum.  But they havent accepted yet.  Remember, you must click on the invite in your notifications and click "accept".  Otherwise you wont have access.

Your notifications are at the top of the screen.  It looks like a little globe and its where you get all of your other notifications.  Its real easy to do.

At least I thought it would be for folks, LOL :D.  

There are now about 25 members who were invited to the downloads forum.  But they havent accepted yet.  Remember, you must click on the invite in your notifications and click "accept" or "join".  Otherwise you wont have access.

Your notifications are at the top of the screen.  It looks like a little globe and its where you get all of your other notifications.  Its real easy to do.

Hi Chuck, I just got the Chapter 1 &2 parts, some cedar for ripping planks, and want to try laser cutting my bulkheads- is it possible to get the outlines as Illustrator files? I can import the PDF into LightBurn but only get the first page. Will start my build log too, while I’m finishing up a 1:48 Surprise.

cheers- Scott

Scott

In progress: 1:48 HMS Surprise 1796 (DeAgostini/AL)

1:48 HMS Winchelsea 1764 (NRG group project)

1:48 City of Buffalo Lake Steamer 1890 (Dumas)

Finished:  1:48 Lackawanna Steam Tug 1900 (Dumas)

3/16" scale Kate Cory whaler 1856 (Model Shipways)

1:48 Puritan 1885 (Mamoli)

After reading the piracy concerns, I completely understand, Chuck. Looks like a nice scroll saw is in my near future!

cheers- Scott

Scott

In progress: 1:48 HMS Surprise 1796 (DeAgostini/AL)

1:48 HMS Winchelsea 1764 (NRG group project)

1:48 City of Buffalo Lake Steamer 1890 (Dumas)

Finished:  1:48 Lackawanna Steam Tug 1900 (Dumas)

3/16" scale Kate Cory whaler 1856 (Model Shipways)

1:48 Puritan 1885 (Mamoli)

You got that right....If this looks familiar to you guys building the model shipways Confederacy kit.....my design, it should.   This is the Chinese pirated version by Snail, a banned company from China.  If it isnt nailed down they will rip it off.  They have no morals at all.  Snail is one of the worst companies out their with the owner blatantly stealing.  This is the guy who ripped off the Triton plans as well.  So he will certainly be prowling to get his hands on the plans for Winnie.   These guys are members of other forums who promote Chinese pirated kits.   So even if you have friends over there, I know many of you are dual members of these sites.   Please do not share the Winnie plans with any members of those other sites.  

Build it for yourself only....and if your friends are interested, have them sign up here to join the group.  Dont share them.

The owner of Snail has made this comment about it and where they got the plans on a Chinese website....not to hijack this thread. But its nuts.  I give it six months before the Winnie shows up in China.  So please do not share or post these drawings....stick to the scroll saw.

Here is what he said pasted right from the Chinese forum..."Thank you for your continued care and attention watching our kit developments. This time, we want to produce a 1:64 appearance (non-full rib) federal sailing ship. This legendary kit is developed according to foreign drawings by a master kit designer in America.  We reproduce it for you"

confedpirate.jpg

confedpirate1.jpg

Compare with my design below.....yet some sites and forums believe it isnt a copy and this is OK......so please do NOT distribute these plans at all.  If the Winnie plans get out and I see this happen,  then yes it will probably be the last project I develop.

cutout3.gif

So sad, but why would anyone look at the Chinese knock offs at twice the price of the real thing in many cases, not sure I get it!!!

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Maybe I’m missing something, but why is there no forum category for the Winchelsea build logs?  You can access them by typing “Winchelsea “ in the search box and the logs come up, but there isn’t a simple link on the main menu page of the forum.  Am I just not seeing it?

Edited by DocBlake

Doc .....all group builds are now at the top of the screen menu bar.  

group.jpg

Each group has its own mini-forum with tabs for build logs and other discussions.

carving2.jpg

Doc, they can also be accessed on the right sidebar.   Under the sponsor banner ads.    Please let me know that you figured it out.   Would love to see you start a build log and join the group.

Good...it would be nice to see you build a complete hull model again rather than these cross sections and parts...LOL.

not very difficult at all. You just need to cut out the area you want to create the box.   then trace the curve of the bulkheads you remove to create the frame shapes.

Believe it or not.....there are still about 20 of you guys who signed up for this group but have not accepted the invitation to actually gain access to the plans.   You guys need to accept the invite to get access.  If you joined and never accepted and cant figure out how.....send me a private message.  But ...please read the first post in this topic first.  Its all explained there.

And yes....ply bulkhead sets are now in stock as well.   

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck: I am planning the Winschelsea as my next project. I do want to finish my Agamemnon which Im busy rigging ratlines right now. Getting to work on the Winschelsea kit has given me impetus to make that final push and finish the Agamemnon. Its been 5 years so far mixed with job and life...

I have downloaded the plans and ordered the bulkhead set and the wood for part one and two as well as have my pre order for the boxwood ornamentation. Im hoping to get to the Winschelsea in the next 6 months but my question is it in my interest in setting up my build log now or wait until Im in a position to actually make sawdust?

Also, I am interested in using Alaskan cedar for the planks.. which boards that you sell would you recommend for milling (keep in mind Im using your bulkhead set?)

MIKE 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Mike...you can wait until you are ready to set up a build log.  Also download the materials list for each chapter which will detail all the wood sizes you will need.  It’s all listed.  But hurry up and finish that model do you can join us.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, Chuck said:

Mike...you can wait until you are ready to set up a build log.  Also download the materials list for each chapter which will detail all the wood sizes you will need.  It’s all listed.  But hurry up and finish that model do you can join us.

Chuck: Thanks.. I suspected that would be the answer on the Build log.. I also found the materials list as well which I will definitely use.. and yes.. I am now making a big push to finish the Agamemnon. Im way overdue in getting that finished...

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild