HMS Speedy by Vane - Vanguard Models - Scale 1:64 - Master Shipwright (limited edition)

Working on adding the chanels, rudder and other details... soon it is time for a proper photoshoot to show how she look like 🙂

20200805_115906.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

This where good design and gentle hands come into play. It took me forever to get this part right on Vanguard. 

It’s looking great, very neatly done!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks, its alot of work with the details now. I hope to get it over soon so i can start with the masts and rigging. Not sure yet about  the canons. We will see if i do the extra blocks but its really tiny work to get in place.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

56 minutes ago, Vane said:

really need to be carefull not to drill to deep

Very nice work! I have used some tape to create a stop on my drill bit to make certain I don’t go to far.

15 hours ago, Vane said:

The bow is abit fiddly to get in place but slowly getting there

Have you tried bending the head rails in a bit, so they make better contact with the cross rails? See here

9 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

is there a reason why you didnt drill many of them from outside along with the premarked gunport bolts before second planking

I thought this was a really neat aspect of Chris's design.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks, i am still fiddling with the crossguards... hope to get contact soon... 

Yes, i predrilled the holes for the gunrigging but they clogg up a little with the red paint so just a touch up. But there are lots of other holes too to drill for various of things to attach. Sometimes its also abit difficult to figure out exactly where some of the eyebolts should go especially at the bow. The plans are slightly unambigious on some points. But i guess it doesnt matter that much. 

To the lower decks... my Proxxon disksander is really useful when making smaller strips that need to have the exact same lenght. I started of with gluing the first and last plank. Then squized down the rest with a pincette. You should not that the two ladders slightly differs in size and mounted in two different directions on the boat.

20200806_223110.thumb.jpg.3759d22b54317e15104c2d25fb09cb93.jpg

20200807_095619.thumb.jpg.82bd7c95120f5220a3bd65d305c33b3a.jpg

20200806_223038.thumb.jpg.7c0abefd71133eba8e609d047b9feef9.jpg

• 1 month later...

I thought the cannons where a bit weak so i decided to upgrade to 18pounders..  nobody will mess with this Speedy on the 7 seas!

20200912_191704.jpg

20200912_191652.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just read through your build, Vane.  This is coming along good.  It looks like a great kit.

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

Check your plans as you start rigging to make sure the "eyes" on the dead eyes top and bottom all line up the same.

Nice looking detail work - very crisp and tidy. I always appreciate someone who can paint neatly.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Yes, indeed, very neat work.  Interested to know how you make out with that Ropewalk.  Do you know if anyone else has used that model before?  Is that the Model Shipways version?  Looks relatively inexpensive.  Good luck!

John

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Hmmm... minor mistake... when you measure and decide where to add things you really need to think about what lines of the model are most important. Should u measure against the whale or the canon ports or something else? Well later on you you see the consequences of your decisions...  

20201204_202834.jpg

20201204_203033.jpg

Now I think the outside is done and its time to move on to the the deck. Still trying to decide how much rigging of the canons I will do...

DSC_0296.jpg

The truth is breaching ropes are probably enough for those tiny cannon. Especially after the ship is rigged. But is enough good enough. I only did breaching ropes on my Nelson, but that was because I was ready to move on to Cheerful. 

I will fully rig Flirt when I get there, as very painful to my fingers and eyes that will be. 🤣😂

Only you will notice....😳

Regards,

Glenn

The model itself is looking beautiful, but moreover that is a fantastic photograph. Real eye candy there. Well done. 

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

On 12/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, Vane said:

Hmmm... minor mistake... when you measure and decide where to add things you really need to think about what lines of the model are most important. Should u measure against the whale or the canon ports or something else? Well later on you you see the consequences of your decisions...

I'm interested in what you would have done differently.  You can't really move the aft channel up, blocking the gun port.  Aesthetically (and probably structurally), the fore channel looks perfect.  So does that point to that the aft portion of the wales should have been a little lower?   From the beautiful picture above, it looks pretty well lined up; maybe it could go a little touch lower.  That would lead to having to figure out where the chainplates go and the channels go before laying in the wales.  Am I getting close to the point you were trying to make?

I only ask because Speedy is my next build.  Thanks.

John

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)