M16 US Multiple Gun Motor Carriage w/ Church Ruin by Jack12477 - 1:35 scale - Tamiya / Verlinden - FINISHED

Well, here at the Hermitage things have slowed down a bit while I try to locate all the landscaping supplies from my N scale model railroad that I stashed away in unlabeled boxes somewhere in the basement.  Can't run out to store since most are closed.  So far we are not under lock down, but since the Admiral and I are in the at risk age group we are limiting our trips out. So the rest of this build will be slow.  But I will continue. 

Well, the stuff you need will be in the last box you open, Jack.  :D  Yeah.. old joke, I know.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 3/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Jack12477 said:

always wondered about those tires tho. A good marksman with a amour piercing round or a .50 cal round could easily take out all 4 tires on one side and disable the thing. 

The designers imagined that, too.

So, the tires are designed as "run flats" with radial webs to support the tire from the bead up to the tread.

They also have kevlar fibres in the tread and sidewalls.  Which part of the commitment to making both the LAV-25 series and the Stryker series to be proof against 14.7mm fire.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:45 PM, Jack12477 said:

are a tank tread.

Rather uniquely, US half-tracks did not use individual track links.  Instead, they used a continuous rubber track with two steel reinforcing cables moulded within.  (This is entirely similar to the  tracks used on modern skid-steer vehicles and mini-excavators used today.)

It can be amusing to see US halftracks modeled with "rusty" tracks.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Jack12477 said:

Floquil brand Olive Drab paint I notice that the Tamiya is noticeably darker

Used to be a matter of faith that the Floquil hue is AAC/AAF Olive Drab.  Tamiya chose to use a color more like 1950s era OD.

Armor modelers--especially those addicted to rivet  quantities--will get all exercised over just what hue is "correct" for War Department vehicles during WWII.

In case you were inclined to go back and super-detail a bit:
The conical thing on the left-hand tailgate is a bucket held in place with two cloth straps (they would be "uniform" color); the bucket can be any color from black-green to galvanized.

The jerrycan straps on the front fenders ought to be OD fabric as well.  The US used a lot of fabric belts and straps, and not very much leather at all.

Tamiya does us a dis-service in giving us an "in action" set of figures and shorted us the loader, the very busy guy in the back keeping the guns fed.  Those ammo cans (known as "toumstone" cans to collectors of such things) hold only 200 rounds of linked belts, or about 15-20 seconds' of firing per each.  The loader would be a busy fellow.  Not only did he have to dodge the turret as it moved around, but also monitor the ammo, too.  When a can went dry, he'd have to dismount it, then heave a full can in its place, grab the end of the protruding belt and fish it into the at least warm gun, and run the charging handle three times. (First pull engages the belt in the pawls, second extracts 1st round, 3rd cambers a round.)

Havign to dance around the gun is also why the bottom guns were often fed with standard 100 round belt cans as they were easier to swing into place.

57 minutes ago, CapnMac82 said:

Those ammo cans (known as "toumstone" cans to collectors of such things) hold only 200 rounds of linked belts, or about 15-20 seconds' of firing per each.

I was always surprised that .50's didn't come in "larger" belts.  We could put 400 in the floor mounted cans but we also had to string the belts together to fit them and while firing, someone (usually the CC) kept an eye that they didn't twist and were feeding cleanly.   I notice that while we jury-rigged our boxes, the latest -53's use one designed for the bird.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

22 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I was always surprised that .50's didn't come in "larger" belts. 

Yeah, it is decidedly counter-intuitive.  But, it goes back to keeping the cans man-portable, and also for balance on the weapon in ground and vehicle mounts.

And not binding up the trunions of the tripod mount with an eccentric load, and also not adding nn kilos of mass to the whole thing in ground mounting was a consideration as well.  The pedestal mount of the 53 uses a feed chute to keep from torquning the mount with a heavy box.  And centerlining the ammo box is better for a/c CG, too.

I know nothing about .50 rounds weight as I was not trusted to shoot something that could do that much damage, (even though I have shot an M-79 grenade launcher a few times) but I can say that a 500+ round box weighed in at something like 30 pounds if memory serves. May not seem like much but try hand loading two boxes worth on a hot day. I can only think that the same amount of .50 would weigh much more.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

While the Admiral and I sit in solitary confinement here in the Hermitage ;) I completed the staining of the base (cherry over basswood) and applied 2 coats of satin poly.   Did a first pass at weather the half-track and made a pass at the layout.  I had to use modeler clay under the Infantry soldiers feet to get the to stop falling over as soon as I placed them.  The entire base will be covered in an earthen material and other appropriate accessories including some oil drums, jerry cans and perhaps some discard ammo crates.  I am still trying to figure out how I want to represent any collapsed beams inside the church walls. 

But here's some progress photos

First the half-track

IMG_8013.JPG.1409ed08e95300fb3c0344fde9b4b347.JPG

First pass at diorama layout (could change)  I might change out the two "passengers" in the Jeep too. Maybe a guy manning the machine gun, if I can find a figure in my stash.

IMG_8010.JPG.0f41ecd851302494072bfe6a5de12a9d.JPGIMG_8011.JPG.64890676881d13929194c1e5d0d20d42.JPGIMG_8012.JPG.10a87b823c1fb9ce81c8d7c115aa65d0.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

Wow Jack

That is some fast painting on all of those figures! Mine seem to be taking FOREVER!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Wow Jack

That is some fast painting on all of those figures! Mine seem to be taking FOREVER!

Actually, Lou, they are from my stash of finished figures from prior kits that did not get used.

Just a question, is this an old stone church in Vietnam?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

No, it's a Verlinden model of church ruin in Europe during WWII. Francois Verlinden was a Belgian modeler who started producing very beautiful, detailed,  cast plaster, actually Hydrocal, kits of various ruins in 1:35 scale. He retired quite a while ago and his kits are still available but at a price $$$$$. I managed to buy two when my local hobby shop closed, actually the only two they still had.  

He also produced a lot of other accessories in cast resin. I have 2 of his accessory kits which are wood crates for artillery and small arms ammo, some Jerry cans, bed roles, tent traps, etc. He also published a series of books called the Verlinden Way describing how to do dioramas and super detailing.  There were several volumes.

Edited by Jack12477

I'm very familiar with Verlinden, his items were always pricey, but well worth it....

The reason I asked was I was wondering the setting with a classic late '44 M-16 which is very well built and an also very well built M-151A2 MUTT complete with wading kit, and M-60 all fitting in the same diorama.......

M-16's were extensively used in Vietnam one of the best local defoliators around, so the MUTT isn't unusual in that respect, just wondering about the WWII setting...

Beautiful work on both  I may add...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The MUTT was just a jeep I grabbed from my stash of finished models. I didn't pay close attention to its markings to tell which war it was from. The M16 definitely has 2 setsof decals for WWII, and also decals for Korea and "modern" whatever that means. I tried to match the decals to the previous M16 I built 30 plus years ago, also in my stash, choosing the alternate vehicle ID.  I can still swap things around on the diorama to get everything in synch time wise.  

I've been away from the plastic so long I have forgotten which era is which vehicle. Way back when, I was buying and building kits of each variant of a WWII vehicle. Of course in 20-20 hindsight I should have stuck a hidden label on the underside to remind me what war the model was from. ;)

Edited by Jack12477

Well I just thought I would ask, I mean going through and doing a fantastic dio of a WWII collapsed/destroyed stone church somewhere in France/Germany would look strange with a late '60's jeep. The m-60 is what stuck in my mind....

Not trying to be a rivet counter and an M-16 and M-151 are entirely believable in the right context, but your builds are too gorgeous to make that kind of anachronism my friend.... (so I figured I should mention it)

Quote:

Thanks for pointing it out.  Appreciate it.

I have 3 WWII variants of the half-track, the M16,  the M3A2 Personnel Carrier and the M21 Mortar Carrier. I was going to put one of the other half-tracks together with the M16, until both the Admiral and my son said it looked too crowded, so I pulled a "jeep" from the stash to add a 2nd smaller vehicle without of course checking that I had the right war and theater. 

Guess I will keep the MUTT for something with the 4 variants of the M113 APC I also have in my stash

Thanks for the heads up.  

Edited by Jack12477

Excellent work  looking so realistic.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Actually, Lou, they are from my stash of finished figures from prior kits that did not get used.

That's cheating!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Since I had all day to fiddle with this and laying down the ground cover is easy, I think I am just about finished.   Gotta sit with a few days before I say FINI but ......

Sorry if anything is out of focus I had to use the small pocket size digital because my really good Pentax DSL has a problem with the aperture control mechanism and nothing comes out with the correct exposure no matter what setting I use.

Now I have to find a place to display it. The base measures 11 x 14 inches with a height of church at 8 inches

IMG_8034.JPG.2fa39826eb71d841fbac3586c3660367.JPGIMG_8036.JPG.bce693f8b6279e44b7979bec7badede7.JPGIMG_8032.JPG.d8794f79af938a2aef112e2badbf2c2f.JPGIMG_8033.JPG.69e6f078721fbb17a9b8d116102c546b.JPGIMG_8037.JPG.d7a9c9e8b8f54b357dde489f22f65618.JPGIMG_8030.JPG.0c1e709a88ae4702cd87f9582dd6a24c.JPGIMG_8031.JPG.b9c6626be07dbb2fa7e91102414a8ea2.JPGIMG_8025.JPG.ed35605e2a7f82779183acdfa1011482.JPGIMG_8027.JPG.43118c1a434203e85fb513511dc0c702.JPG

Too bad the Vietnam era guys had to leave and go back to their own war. It is possible they would have liked this war better.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey