M16 US Multiple Gun Motor Carriage w/ Church Ruin by Jack12477 - 1:35 scale - Tamiya / Verlinden - FINISHED

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

long before the plaque arrived.

No, you said that you went outside to take the pictures TODAY. And further more you intended to go out again to take more pictures in the natural sunlight.:stunned:

I had no idea Egilman. Shows you how much I keep up with the plastic offerings these days.

19 minutes ago, Canute said:

Factoid: most fighters fired no more than a 2 second burst, any longer risked warping the barrels.

It must  be the same for the M163, (I still want to call it a M113) as the one I got to see just did short bursts and EVERYTHING down range either fell over from being cut in half or just disappeared! Just a soft BRRRRRRRRRR, BRRRRRRR, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR was all it took. The sight and sound of it has always stuck with me.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, Canute said:

6,000 rounds per minute for the aerial version in most fighters. Slinging 20 mm ammo of every description. Most fighters hold 650 to 1200 rounds. The F-4 held 10 seconds of ammo. That APC must haul a ton of ammo.

Factoid: most fighters fired no more than a 2 second burst, any longer risked warping the barrels. That did happen, because we had one set of barrels at Korat that was twisted like a candy cane.

That's not the cannon mounted in fighter aircraft, (well a modified M-61) with the Navy's Phalanx system adapted to 20mm rounds, mounted on a mobile chassis.... Limited to 1,000RPM in burst mode The Israelis are the only ones that actually used it to shoot down an enemy aircraft in combat.... and they did it only three times. It was mostly used in the same manner as the M-16 modeled above, as infantry support. It's no longer in use by the US military being finally phased out in 1994. (replaced with the M-6 stinger equipped Bradley AFV.

Currently the US Army uses the actual Phalanx system (known as the Centurion C-RAM Scroll down for it) mounted to trailers for DIVAD. (can also be mounted on a HEMTT) and I understand that they are phasing that out as well.... Guns for DIVAD have been rated as ineffectual for several decades.

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

35 minutes ago, lmagna said:

No, you said that you went outside to take the pictures TODAY. And further more you intended to go out again to take more pictures in the natural sunlight.:stunned:

We don't have any of those type restrictions up here. I can go out in my yard or even take a walk with admiral in neighborhood. Hell the streets in my neighborhood are deserted, only 1 or 2 people out walking..  Btw those last photos are from  last year already loaded onto PC.  I can still go out for groceries, doctors, post office, even parks, except the idiots descended on 2 state parks in throngs and now they are closed, spoiling it for the rest of us.

I may be in NY STATE but not NY City Metro area. I'm over 100 miles from Manhattan island.  

Edited by Jack12477

3 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I can still go out for groceries, doctors, post office, even parks, except the idiots descended on 2 state parks in throngs and now they are closed, spoiling it for the rest of us.

We have the same here, can go out for supplies and work,  even for a walk, exercise etc... but the numbnuts crowded into the national parks, one lot even held a rave, now all public gardens, wood and country parks are OB

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Loving those pictures  - takes me right back   there have been some stunning 1/35  Armour  kits created over time, always fancied doing the Accurate Armour  resin kits  but so expensive  but the detail in them.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

but the numbnuts crowded into the national parks

Yea, one of our parks covers 2,000 acres with probably hundreds of miles of isolated trails but the citidiots decided to fill up the one or two common lawns with hoards of people and no physical distancing, ditto some of the trails. Luckily there are a few trails known only to locals that can be used. 

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

there have been some stunning 1/35  Armour  kits created over time, always fancied doing the Accurate Armour  resin kits  but so expensive  but the detail in them

I found the Tamiya brand to have some really fine detail and they fit together without a lot of gaps or flash to remove. And they were not too expensive, at least here in the States. All the models I have shown are Tamiya. 

9 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I found the Tamiya brand to have some really fine detail and they fit together without a lot of gaps or flash to remove. And they were not too expensive, at least here in the States. All the models I have shown are Tamiya. 

Yep, same as myself  something about Tamiya kits  made you think you had a kit a great quality  - deffo the  best "go to"  kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Yeah, real front lines. And bad guys wore different duds from the locals.;)

And it didn't require an Okie-Dokie from some REMF sitting in an office somewhere before you could return fire.  Gasp.. in 'Nam, we didn't ever think about firing first.

Jack, 

Great looking armor corps you have there. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok, Lou, Edward, EGilman  - part II of the Armor collection

Modern US

Abrams M1,  Bradley M2 IFV (2 variants), HumVee, Sgt York Air Defense

IMG_8053.JPG.61a18324af5b2ab5fcd12972df4b2c57.JPGIMG_8058.JPG.c66947e5acc5952d44710adfb230ce46.JPGIMG_8054.JPG.38ce08bff4f1fad089bb0080580944ab.JPGIMG_8055.JPG.858b988b794fb25b507b1d8d0b9b7fc1.JPGIMG_8056.JPG.149c0337245aee316551df1021e99ab5.JPGIMG_8057.JPG.8fa7fa3c19c897b4a9526e5fa993ba37.JPGIMG_8059.JPG.478ee6d5b62af070c9efce23e1211d53.JPGIMG_8060.JPG.6f0d8614dcdefc9f99cde5b6d7d786fc.JPG

British Chiefton

IMG_8063.JPG.83bf8fa9f929ba7152cf67af9c99f9ac.JPGIMG_8062.JPG.3e50fc6dbf82f9cfd12ee554df4e6c1b.JPG

German WII and Modern

IMG_8064.JPG.8d5ce37090e3280de0986b3d83954cad.JPGIMG_8065.JPG.cecf3a870d5137f49fcf39df77c44db5.JPGIMG_8068.JPG.98a9ad53bcf464c6fa0306364e97d6fb.JPGIMG_8066.JPG.88dafd6c2983f1891878765c2ef2c043.JPGIMG_8067.JPG.cd48b47a72d6ac1735043512ba163f90.JPG

German Mardar (I think) APC

IMG_8069.JPG.5af23feb9080862d32418c48b752cd52.JPGIMG_8070.JPG.3cfc6d224006b5a4e296d03946efad54.JPGIMG_8071.JPG.ae1f7ad89f41ae1416c5465143deb03d.JPG

And that Gentleman concludes the collection - at least for now - probably order some more kits in future.

Edited by Jack12477

Great collection Jack, I can see I've got a long way to go yet 😉😂 thanks for showing us

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks, Edward.  Yea it was done over a span of years.  I might add that all of the painting with the exception of the HumVee and USMC amphibian, were done with a Badger airbrush and Floquil's military color paints; the soft edge camo was done freehand without masking. The two exception were brush painted with Vallejo and Tamiya paints.  Haven't done any airbrushing in decades, not sure how steady my hand would be now. Have to do some practicing and relearn the skill. 

that's quite a collection Jack.........real nice camo and dioramas :)   the church came out great too.......the set up looks super!

no type of lock down here.....but Wally made sure we were set to go if they did.  they gave us a letter in the event that we'd get stopped going to work........seriously! :rolleyes:   they're hell bent and determined not to shut down,,,they are even setting up trailers with parts and stuff in the event that someone infects the shop........we'll have to work outside  {that's what they think}.  part of me thinks I'm nuts with this picture?!?!....but the idea of putting money before lives is unsettling :unsure:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

...guess they didn't want to name it Jack the ripper  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

....but the idea of putting money before lives is unsettling :unsure:

If you think about it, businesses like WalMart could be considered critical infrastructure due to the critical role they play in distribution of life sustaining goods to the public. Short of that, it would have to be nationalized in a time of emergency and run by military forces or the like. A tough position to be in, but I had to do that (work 24-7 in declared emergencies) for a lot of years before I retired. Given all the certificates I have in emergency management, I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't press me into service even though I am retired.

30 minutes ago, CDW said:

If you think about it, businesses like WalMart could be considered critical infrastructure due to the critical role they play in distribution of life sustaining goods to the public. Short of that, it would have to be nationalized in a time of emergency and run by military forces or the like. A tough position to be in, but I had to do that (work 24-7 in declared emergencies) for a lot of years before I retired. Given all the certificates I have in emergency management, I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't press me into service even though I am retired.

The president addressed that yesterday, he would like to see the national infrastructure preserved rather than shut down everything. the idea is leaving a legacy of a destroyed economy to our children or preserving what we can....  I mean someone has to think forward to the outcome right? it is surprising everyone that Trump is turning out to be a much stronger president than anyone imagined.... He may be a cad, but he is also a leader.....

Also yesterday there was one of those REMF's from the department of health on the radio saying that we will need to go into complete lockdown with military enforcement probably for two years.... I wonder if he still has a job...

It's isn't about putting money ahead of lives, it about having a nation for those lives to live in afterwards. That trumps profit every time.... and yes there are forces within the government that would like to take complete, enforced, control..... The govenuer here was asked by the media the other day after his stay at home order if he was going to enforce this order, he responded not at this time but that they were considering their options... the sherrifs of the three largest counties then announced that they would refuse to arrest anyone under such an order....

We all need to understand one thing, politics does have it's fingers all over this response, muted and under the surface, but there are some that think this is the perfect opportunity to implement policies they could only dream of in anything other than a national emergency.... we as citizens need to be extra vigilant that the baby doesn't get thrown out with the bath water under the auspices of "Saving" lives....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

And that Gentleman concludes the collection - at least for now - probably order some more kits in future.

I better get busy, your battalion would kick mine's butt in any engagement...

Very Very nice......

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Love   those tanks   - built a few Tamiya Bradleys  and M1's    great selection.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Some randomness that may or may not be apt.

My crib sheet for Amphib Ops has a loaded can of 100 linked cal..50 at 65# per each.  Can of linked 7.62nato at 24# per each; belted 5.56nato a nifty 18#.

The War Department directed that M1 helmets would get a horizontal white stripe at the lower rear for NCOs, and a vertical stripe for officers.  That stayed Army policy until about 1952 when cloth covers became general issue.  Helmet liners sometimes were still marked that way well into the 60s.  Note that the Navy Department never followed suite, and was issuing camo helmet covers as early as 1942.

US armor crews are really proud of their CVC (combat vehicle crewman) helmets, and are as loathe to doff them as they are to dismount.  And, one of those crucial details is, in the mid-late 80s, it was policy that the treadheads had to wear a k-pot when dismounted, so thouse are kept within easy reach of which ever hatch they ingress/egress.

And to this day, it still amazes me that Tamiya went the the trouble to include the duckboards with the M-577 command post, but only include about half the poles for the CP tent (or even the pattern for the CP tent.  [grrrr]  Also, it's aazing that the afterarket has not offered up a set of camo net spreaders.  Sigh.

Thanks for dragging your not that small army out and sharing it Jack. I am not normally an armor type of person but your collection has some very nice examples.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

Thanks for dragging your not that small army out and sharing it Jack. 

Glad you liked it, Lou. 

Very impressive armor collection!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Question: On the Mardar and Panzer at the end of the second set, both have the look of wind-swept dust. How did you achieve that effect?  Great collection/beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!

3 minutes ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

Question: On the Mardar and Panzer at the end of the second set, both have the look of wind-swept dust. How did you achieve that effect?  Great collection/beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!

Mother Nature did it for me ! :D   

The entire collection used to sit on an open bookshelf for years until the Admiral decided to remodel our den right down to the wall studs.  So they got removed, dusted off with small brush, some compressed air, a Q-tip, and then stored in plastic storage bins. The "wind-swept dust" is what I could not remove without destroying the decals.  Sometimes it pays to be a lazy modeler and not cover or dust your models. ;)

Thanks, glad you liked the collection.