Freezer Paper - an awesome tool

I'm relatively new to ship modeling, and lately have been cutting some pieces out from patterns for spiling, etc.  I started by using rubber cement to adhere the pattern to the wood, but didn't like the amount of mess and the residue left on the wood.  I've tried a few other glues, but they basically gave me the same issues.

My wife is a quilter, and suggested using freezer paper (she calls it the quilter's best friend):  draw the pattern on the plain side of the paper, put the waxy side down on the wood, and iron it onto the wood with a low-temperature iron.  It worked great!  Adheres to the wood and doesn't move around while working with it, then easily peals off with no residue on the wood.  A side benefit is that the pattern can be reused if desired, since the wax on the back doesn't come off on the wood.

Since this worked, I wondered how the paper would work in a printer.  I cut a piece to 8.5X11, flattened it by rolling it around a piece of pvc pipe a few times, then printed a test pattern on it in my inkjet printer (I don't think this would work in a laser printer because of the heat).  It worked great.  Now when I learn to use CAD and learn to loft frames using CAD, I'll be able to print out self-adhering patterns.

Frank

Good tip, Frank.  Is this paper something from a hobby/craft store?   I've not heard of it before.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here are some photos of the Freezer Paper in use.  

First, I cut out some freezer paper in 8x11.5 sheets, and flattened them by wrapping them around a piece of pvc a few times.  When the curl wasn't so pronounced I loaded it into the printer and then copied part of a plan sheet (Mayflower by Chuck, purchased from Model Expo) and printed it to the freezer paper.

post-331-0-99706600-1369690873_thumb.jpg

Then I cut out the bulkheads I was interested in, positioned them on a sheet of 1/32 plywood, and laid a medium-hot iron on top of them for about ten seconds - done.  I can now cut out the bulkheads on my scroll saw.  The freezer paper is adhered well enough that the saw doesn't pull it off the wood.

post-331-0-70435600-1369691017_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Frank

Thanks for the tip,

Have been thinking of how to do the lofting easier, this is great.

Scratch built!!! :):piratetongueor4:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi all;

An update on using freezer paper.

I left the freezer paper cutouts of the bulkheads on the plywood since I posted the photo (4 days ago) because I had to leave on a business trip.  When I picked them up today I could see the paper was separating from the wood and not adhering very well.  This isn't a surprise, since I expect that the wax will revert to its normal consistency after a short while.

The lesson learned is simple - for best results, cut the wood as soon as possible after applying the freezer paper template.  Still better than messing with glue!

Frank

Excellent tip, Frank.  For some, the freezer paper may not be and option. Or alternately, change the way we work so that we do the pattern then cut as opposed to letting it sit for a day or so before we can get to it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No - not the same. Wax paper is coated on both sides, so you would not be able to write on it or to use it in a printer.

The coating may also be different - I'm not sure on that - but you couldn't use wax paper in the way I'm using freezer paper.

Frank

Harvey,

It might also be labeled as "butcher's paper".  It's white, waxed on one side only.  I've not had a chance to check out the supermarket, Target, Costco, etc.... but I can see where this stuff would be way useful.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll want to do more checking too Mike. What I recall as "Butcher's paper" is brown.

I don't know, maybe I grew up in an alternate universe :huh:

Harvey

Harvey, the butcher paper I recall is brown.

Walmart has the freezer paper cheap. Look for the Reynold brand.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 month later...

I discovered today that you can buy freezer paper pre-cut to 8.5 X 11 so that it can fit in a printer.  It comes in 30 or 50 sheet packages and is called Quilter's Freezer Paper.  So far I've seen it in Joann's and in Amazon.  It's more expensive than the roll normally found in the supermarket, but it saves the cutting to size and trying to get the curl out. 

Thanks Frank, this fits under "work smarter not harder"

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Certainly much cheaper than blank label paper which I have been using exclusively for a few years now.  Will give the freezer paper a try.

Thanks for the  tip.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...