USS Crockett by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Dumas

Here is another orphaned kit that I came across where the original owner with all good intentions I'm sure started the build by taking most of the parts off of the parts trees and that is about where they stopped their efforts. At least from what I can tell is that they numbered all the pieces so no harm I guess. Upon inspection, I noticed the rudders and drive shaft struts are missing, which is easily replaced. This is an old kit, which has been bounced around from pillar to post. I hate seeing this, but I can't save them all. But as long as I'm able, I will finish it.

The USS Crockett is a Vietnam area gun boat: is one of seventeen gunboats in the Ashville Class. This is the first group of US Navy ships to be powered by gas turbine. The Crockett was designed for Coastal patrol, blockade reconnaissance and support missions in South Vietnam.

Scale 5/16" = 1 foot

Length 51"

Beam 7 1/2"

Draft 4" 

DSC00886.JPG

DSC00887.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00889.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

DSC00891.JPG

DSC00892.JPG

Thanks Chris, I picked up this kit for about $50.00. I wasn't really looking for one at the time, but when the opportunity arose, I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. I hated to see it getting kicked around and as you can tell from the looks of the box, it's been around the block a few times. I think I'm like the third or possibly the fourth owner of the kit and not much has been done to it other than missing a few parts.

I have built a few Dumas kits and this is one of their old, old kits, no pictorials, limited instructions and basic building diagrams on the plan sheets themselves.    

I hear ya there........the Nordkap I built and the one I'm currently building,  both are not laser cut.   it's a good thing I'm scratch building the progress with the second kit {wait....that amounts to the same thing :wacko:}.  I've always wanted to try a Dumas kit........I saw the PT boat at a local HobbyTown.....I wonder if it's still there?.   should be a fun project to watch.........first to unravel the pile of parts ;)   good price!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

still trying to sweet talk the admiral.........Mog is building one.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

As with most all used and sometimes abused kit, you run into a snag. It's how you choose to deal with that snag. It's seems that some where along the 25 or so years that the Dumas USS Crockett had been passed around from hand to hand, pillar to post, someone took out the three part sheets DC1, DC2 & DC3, which contained the hull frames. I'm assuming it was the owner that started work on the keel, but dropped off at that point. So I called Dumas, who were nice enough to send me the three parts sheets for $5.00 each total of $15.00. I explained to them that this was an orphaned kit that had been treated like an unwanted step child and I was making it my life long journey to bring a little love into it's life and fulfill it's modeling destiny and I was doing a build log on it on Model Ship World to record our journey. Hopefully they will stop in an say how do.   

3 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

As with most all used and sometimes abused kit, you run into a snag. It's how you choose to deal with that snag. It's seems that some where along the 25 or so years that the Dumas USS Crockett had been passed around from hand to hand, pillar to post, someone took out the three part sheets DC1, DC2 & DC3, which contained the hull frames. I'm assuming it was the owner that started work on the keel, but dropped off at that point. So I called Dumas, who were nice enough to send me the three parts sheets for $5.00 each total of $15.00. I explained to them that this was an orphaned kit that had been treated like an unwanted step child and I was making it my life long journey to bring a little love into it's life and fulfill it's modeling destiny and I was doing a build log on it on Model Ship World to record our journey. Hopefully they will stop in an say how do.   

Wow, Dumas is good people.

I received the 3 frame sheets from Dumas Friday and although it was nice not to have to trace and cut them out myself, One of the sheets was warped, and all of them had to be basically cut out with a razor knife anyway because it seems their cutter either needed to have the blades replaced or sharpened. Out of all the Dumas kits I have built over the years which are numerous, these were the worst cut sheets I have found. But I always like to find a bright spot on everything, at least I didn't have to traces and cut the frames as well as buy the 3 sheets hobby grade plywood, which would have cost me about the same if not a bit more than the $15.00 Dumas charged me. So I'm good with it. now to wet and press those few frames to get the warp out of them.  

DSC00926.JPG

DSC00928.JPG

You take on the most interesting orphan models to build, Mike. I'll be following along on this interesting project.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, BobG said:

You take on the most interesting orphan models to build, Mike.

I agree! I bet there's a lot of orphaned models out there hoping that Mike will stumble upon them. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks Bob and Chris, yes there are a lot of orphaned kits that have been offered to me lately it seems more so now than in years past. I have had to turn down a couple of them last week. I wish I had time to build them all, but unfortunately time is not on my side. I would love to accept them, give them a home and the opportunity to be all they can be, but the admiral has put her foot down and gave me an executive order, "you must find them homes by the time they are finished and re-coop most of your investment". So far I have been lucky and have only received a few demerits.      

4 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

I wish I had time to build them all, but unfortunately time is not on my side.

I'm a latecomer to the ship modeling party and time is not on my side either. I'd need another lifetime to build all the models that I find are so interesting to me. Then there's always the question that my wife asks me that I need to consider, "So where are we going to put it." There's still a little bit of space in the house since I only have 3  completed models on the shelf currently but I've got 9 models still in their boxes. I'm about to put a few of them up for sale if I can bear to part with them. Are you sure that you don't need to adopt another orphan....? 🤔

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

hahahahaha, I never say never Bob. I had built a huge wall unit about 20 years ago which could hold about 15 models depending on the size of them. I had it filled up within a couple of years and ran out of room, that is when I realized I needed an intervention🥺. So I sold, traded and donated all of the models, took the wall display unit apart and sold it on Craigslist for next to nothing so my wife could have the house back. So I know the feeling. 

4 hours ago, BobG said:

I'm about to put a few of them up for sale if I can bear to part with them.

I’ll believe when I see it 😉 (but if you have an AL Red Dragon let me know)

Sorry, VTHokiEE, that's one I don't have...

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Very nice find for a rare kit. USS Crockett a hard model to find being in such good condition along with what seems most of the pieces. Look forward to your updates! Did it come with a motor system? Seems to be one of the old RC boat kits from the images I see, I also love to rescue kits I have interest in and always on the hunt, Hint, Hint @Bob G What yea got??

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Very nice! Have you decided if you will static display her or add water flow details to the base? Are you planning on turning her into a RC? Man she's a beauty and a bunch can be done with that size of a kit.

:cheers:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have finished the hull planking which was non-eventful, but I did use scrap balsa pieces and added it to the sides of the frames to give more of a seat for the plank. I also skim coated the exterior of the hull with bondo, which really wasn't needed since the planking went on very nicely, but rather to give additional strength to the balsa planking and also to add a bit more weight to the hull since it is quite light and the narrowness of the hull along with quite a bit of super structure above the deck. I'm figuring it will require quite a bit of weight to keep it from wanting to pitch to much and to be more stable.   

The instructions call for 2oz cloth for the exterior of the hull. I have 2oz fiberglass cloth as well as 4oz cloth. I usually prefer to work with 2oz cloth over the 4oz cloth because the 2oz drapes better and a bit easier to work with than the 4oz. But, I like the 4oz for more rigidity than the 2oz.  

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00994.JPG