Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

I feel your pain - those small support triangles are crazy.  I had a few on my destroyer build.  Somehow I didn’t find those too bad but had problems with other similarly sized parts.

Sometimes I think that the PE maker feels like they can scale the things down so why not include them and see what the builders want to do with them.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Mosquito eyelashes. 🤥

Well I suppose that is smaller than ant legs. That is what I called the barrels on the quad Veteran Models 1.1" guns I bought for use on my 1/350 Houston. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

AmaZing work with all those  tiny little parts  bet your admiral will be looking at you strange when you glance across  cockeyed.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I should have mentioned above but forgot...on some of these extremely fine brass detail parts such as the rails that go around the funnel, I am using Mr Color clear lacquer as the "glue" to attach the parts to the plastic. I think that CA glue or acrylic glue tends to obliterate the details too much and I want to keep the molded details intact as much as possible. I believe they will stand out nicely once it's all painted and pin washed. 

I’ve seen folks use Tamiya Clear for the same purpose (X-20 I think?).  I haven’t tried that yet, but seems like a great idea.  I haven’t had too many issues with CA though - I apply it to the part via a pin, and then use either a toothpick or folded paper towel to pick up any of the excess.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I had the same problems with the Vendetta........   in regards to the lost part department,  put a nylon stocking over the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner and go around your table........you might even find parts you lost eons ago :D 

look'in really good there .....captain :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

in regards to the lost part department,  put a nylon stocking over the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner and go around your table........you might even find parts you lost eons ago :D 

look'in really good there .....captain :)  

Thanks Denis. Good idea with the stocking and vacuum cleaner.

I made four tiny hose reels this morning, dropped two of them and lost them. I guess the brass color is too close to the tan color of my floor tiles and makes it difficult to see. Camouflaged. 

It's hard to believe Flyhawk has found a way to cast even the smallest parts in styrene plastic in great detail that once was only found in machined brass, photo etch, and resin. Take a look at the ridiculously small binoculars, rangefinders, and anti aircraft guns, straight off the tree, out of the box. Sheesh. Man, this thing has the detail.

DSCN3147.thumb.JPG.55c8d8ffde10c088f1459b983a8c0bfd.JPGDSCN3148.thumb.JPG.e3bed39a441cd4f382120a94d01a7e7a.JPGDSCN3149.thumb.JPG.006d4deb0db56820a223027d7728ac63.JPGDSCN3150.thumb.JPG.2b9381b2e5c12f2cd7c520958e5a5792.JPGDSCN3150.thumb.JPG.2b9381b2e5c12f2cd7c520958e5a5792.JPG

Amazing detail  - loving it mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I haven't yet found a way to remove all the remnants of the attachment locations when parts are cut from the sprue. As seen on one of the AA gun barrels, some excess remains but the barrel is so small and fragile, I am afraid I will break it if I were to try to sand or cut that away, even with a brand new scalpel blade. 

As for those binoculars, if one goes flying off the tweezers, it's game over. Too small to be found it it ever goes on the floor, or maybe even the desk top for that matter.

49 minutes ago, CDW said:

I haven't yet found a way to remove all the remnants of the attachment locations when parts are cut from the sprue. As seen on one of the AA gun barrels, some excess remains but the barrel is so small and fragile, I am afraid I will break it if I were to try to sand or cut that away, even with a brand new scalpel blade. 

As for those binoculars, if one goes flying off the tweezers, it's game over. Too small to be found it it ever goes on the floor, or maybe even the desk top for that matter.

You need to do "the inredible shrinking man"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I glanced down at the floor and the light that reflected off a gold colored part caught my attention. When I got down close to examine, sure enough it was one of the hose reels I lost a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, it was smashed flatter than a pancake. That's a tooth pick laying there beside the flattened reel for reference.

DSCN3151.thumb.JPG.ef14b5060b76ed235f6c70c3042f2af1.JPG

Meanwhile I am working to add the brass details to the superstructure. Everything being so small, it feels like my feet are stuck in the mud and am moving ever so slowly to get the little things done. Every now and then, it feels good to dry fit it together to remind myself what is at the end of the rainbow.

DSCN3154.thumb.JPG.d8fc830636cee865a718c887e276f377.JPGDSCN3156.thumb.JPG.f7ebe18c33e7850b8ca42514e7310654.JPGDSCN3155.thumb.JPG.1e37c6c64785e7a82c9ed0e53cefa19e.JPGDSCN3157.thumb.JPG.059ebd4f21126d47562969b975537b1f.JPG

You are doing amazing work my friend   - just keep reminding  yourself   - its 1/700  scale  thats 700 times smaller,   you desrve to pat yourself on the back doing this.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Scharnhorst was a good looking ship and your model represents it so well.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful work there Craig.  Can I ask - I wasn't sure if you went with the wooden deck or just painted the kit deck, but if  you did use the wooden deck, did you use any additional adhesive?

Mike

2 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Beautiful work there Craig.  Can I ask - I wasn't sure if you went with the wooden deck or just painted the kit deck, but if  you did use the wooden deck, did you use any additional adhesive?

I did not use additional adhesive but I may regret that later. If it does raise later on, use a piece of scrap photo etch runner to slide some thin superglue underneath the raised areas. I've had to do this on a couple of other ship models once they got a couple of years old when the deck raised up in places.

Thanks.  I had seen concerns about wood deck adhesives but didn’t know if they were borne out or not.  Good to know, thanks!

Mike

you certainly have a lot of parts there,  as I pointed out earlier........this is going to be one hellasiously detailed model ;)   nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Some of the details I see are amazing and I have to keep reminding myself that this is 1/700 scale NOT 1/200!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Some of the details I see are amazing and I have to keep reminding myself that this is 1/700 scale NOT 1/200!

In the last photo, those four dome shaped range finders / targeting units each consist of five individual pieces. What's amazing to me is they have found a way to cast or inject plastic into that precise detail at this scale. Have never seen anything else like it at this scale. 

And ladders at this scale ........amazing work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Had to run up a dry fit before I put her to bed tonight. Gives me encouragement for tomorrow. The wood deck tightens up the fit of the superstructure pieces to the deck, maybe a little too much for my liking.

Got to be real careful about ham fisting these component parts as it's so easy to accidentally break stuff and even lose it if it falls off.

IMG_2110.thumb.jpg.e9a43c66e950b0014b34295e2dc11713.jpg