Ducati 1299 by Moonbug - Pocher - 1/4 Scale

Moonbug

Not sure how many Pocher fans are out there, but I ordered this 1/4 scale Ducati abut a year ago. I put it together a month or so ago.  First production run so a few errors on the instructions, etc - but all in all pretty sweet.

The box gives you an idea of the size of the thing. 

A7258420-66CA-4061-A265-6EE142B9B327.thumb.jpeg.679adc42f5778f96999726d0763724e1.jpegE3DB082A-2BD2-4418-95EB-73CE667C6AD9.thumb.jpeg.875f0dde1e9ea45b062c76b69f030baa.jpeg

Nice model Bug. I still blame you for my own Pocher addiction. In addition to the Alfa Romeo Spider, I now have another three Pocher classic cars to build. And it’s all YOUR fault!!!!!!!! (Oh, did I say, thank you?)

PS My wife has now commissioned me to build a display cabinet specifically for the Pocher cars…….

Edited by gjdale

Ha!  That’s amazing!

Is this one of those “Sorry, not sorry” kind of situations?  😆

Gotta show us all that display when you get her done.

Spot on Bug - not sorry at all. 😊

My wife likes the Pocher cars more than my ship models, so she suggested a special display cabinet for them in our dining room. I’m working on the design of this now. I’m being helped by a professional furniture maker with the design process - there appears to be a lot more to it than you might first think!

When I finally get around to building it, I’ll post some pics. Expect to start construction around Xmas time-ish.

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, gjdale said:

I now have another three Pocher classic cars to build

What other Pocher models do you have now, Grant?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey Moonbug,

I'm a Pocher fan. I asked my wife if I could get a Lamborghini for my 70th birthday. When I told a friend I was granted my wish he was flabbergasted when I texted him these photos of my new, screaming orange Aventador (the first two pics here).

The Pocher kit is superb. A real treat to build. I understand that part of the deal with copyright permissions with Lambo was that Pocher could also use the same paint on their kit models as the actual car. Not sure this is true, but damn! - that paint job is amazing on the die cast parts of the kit which has 1,500 parts BTW. The engine, all suspension bits are included (talk about hidden details!)

First two photos below are of my completed model which I photographed lying sideways on my front lawn. I waited for a real car to appear in the background not too far from my driveway. The interior is just as detailed and amazing as the exterior. 

The next two photos are the Real Deal. The last one is a Pocher Kit pic.

Cheers,

Ron

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Red_Lamborghini_-_Montecarlo_02.jpg

Lamborghini_Aventador_LP_750-4_Super_VELOCE_(17166321410).jpg

HK100-2560x1440-.jpg

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Moonbug,

Take your pick: Ducati, Lambo...a couple more Pocher photos to inspire. The company has some nice looking models.😆

I've not seen the Ducati model in person, but I'll wager it's awesome, like the bike.

Too bad a Build Log here won't work...

Ron

Pocher_presentation_2013.jpg

Pocher_presentation_Nuremberg_2013.JPG

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

11 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

The company has some nice looking models.😆

Why am I having trouble seeing the car?!! 😂

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

2 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Too bad a Build Log here won't work...

Do a build log on models like that, they would throw us all in jail... (oh, there was supposed to be a car in that pic?)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

13 hours ago, BobG said:

What other Pocher models do you have now, Grant?

DE15EEA0-9CBC-4BE5-B680-E55A2ADE827E.jpeg.c026d4a3c0dcecb1b5963319fd4690a0.jpeg

791BFF50-34A3-4B53-891E-A74057136138.jpeg.3f61d7de028fbd2db819e2c80fd39dc5.jpeg

4D47074F-1CDC-4668-97C6-F5F7C919413E.thumb.jpeg.a2f961e2a1af38588411190e20d1cb7c.jpeg

17 hours ago, hollowneck said:

my new, screaming orange Aventador

Ron - That's amazing!
   Where did you find it??  I'd been looking for one since they were released and have had NO luck what-so-ever.

I do have this snazzy Rolls that I picked up at an Estate Sale a few years ago.  It's the top one in Grant's post.

Pocher_Finished_01.thumb.jpg.e037f600ab20e17d974e2e6865a307b9.jpgPocher_Finished_03.thumb.jpg.26784bbe1c2f77a39dc360693e251b7d.jpgPocher_Finished_04.thumb.jpg.687abf0d6631b5cd20d6f2a46f29fddd.jpgPocher_Finished_07.thumb.jpg.f19c97b1230368b8d8e2cf08a3431ed3.jpg...

Bug,

I bought my Pocher Aventador kit on eBay at a knockdown price a couple years ago. It was going for approximately one-third of the "Suggested Retail" at online hobby dealers. As you know, if you're interested in Pocher models you need to go "International" on your searches as well as do some risk analysis on transactional things. I recall my kit came from Hong Kong (pre-shakedown). Shipping wasn't inexpensive (weight of 25 pounds, boxed!), but heck - I got the kit for an amazing deal. Related to all this, I've kept an eye out for the current Pocher Lambo kit (Huracan), but so far, no luck on a good price; they're hanging tough at about $2K.

You may be aware that Pocher car kits come with decent plastic tires - nicely molded, but shiny and given the level of execution and detail in these amazing kits = lame. There is an aftermarket for genuine rubber tires for the model supercars and I went for it: low profile Pirelli's in genuine rubber. $100 for the set, bought with lots of spare $ on the kit steal. These 255/R20's even sit correctly with a little "squish" from the actual weight of the model!

I have a good friend from my former ship modeling club who built a Pocher Rolls  - made years ago and it's stunning. 

Here are a couple more pics you may appreciate. Driveway & Dining Room Table moments. ..and three with my Bright Orange Babe Magnet and my HMS Ardent (1764- 64gun) in the photos for the MSW bots. Any guess which one the ladies go for gjdale - the model ship or the car?

Cheers,

Ron

LamboDrive01.jpg

LamboAv12Engine.jpg

LamboAvPirelli.jpg

LamboDrive04.jpg

LamboArdent01.jpg

LamboArdent02.jpg

LamboArdent03.jpg

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

On 11/10/2021 at 1:50 AM, gjdale said:

a special display cabinet for them in our dining room.

Here's a pretty nice collection and display on eBay Germany:

1182099886_ScreenShot2022-01-24at10_30_06AM.thumb.png.b9b2c6d69517dc1c75766e7a0dd383ca.png

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Bob,

That's some serious $ on display... custom cabinet...kool. You gonna' make a bid?

Check this link out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265193437103?epid=13028312997&hash=item3dbec2b7af:g:cYwAAOSwgqJgb0Wq

Ron

PS If I can find it for considerably less than this eBay price, I'd love to build the Slime Green Huracan and place it alongside my Orange Lambo.

s-l1600.jpg

Ron

12 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

That's some serious $ on display... custom cabinet...kool. You gonna' make a bid?

No...the seller is selling a single, completed model and included this photo. I'm not sure if it's a custom cabinet or a bunch of fish tanks stacked on top of each other! 🤣 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

8 minutes ago, BobG said:

No...the seller is selling a single, completed model and included this photo. I'm not sure if it's a custom cabinet or a bunch of fish tanks stacked on top of each other! 🤣 

Ah-ha, Bob. I guess the seller liked to pet his fish with those sliding front doors on the stacked tanks, but for some reason they may have all died!😂

Ron

Ron

2 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Here are a couple more pics you may appreciate. Driveway & Dining Room Table moments. ..and three with my Bright Orange Babe Magnet and my HMS Ardent (1764- 64gun) in the photos for the MSW bots. Any guess which one the ladies go for

I’m guessing the driveway shots! I must try that photography trick one day - it’s really cool.

6 hours ago, gjdale said:

I’m guessing the driveway shots! I must try that photography trick one day - it’s really cool.

Hey Grant,

The photography trick gave me grass stains, but it was worth it to blow my good friend's mind with my texted photos of my birthday present. The car, the angle, the other car in the background- all are so distracting most people never notice how out of scale the asphalt bumps are!

Ron

Ron

...and now for an entirely different style of building a Pocher model! You can buy this one on the French eBay site for 3500 Euros.

1960414599_ScreenShot2022-01-25at12_44_06PM.thumb.png.90d6f589b23f53089b817153966c7909.png

935195968_ScreenShot2022-01-25at12_50_05PM.thumb.png.546f537ba888063fc3534a51d33b0a1e.png

1321747809_ScreenShot2022-01-25at12_44_33PM.thumb.png.83619310ffbe9193a7d63f308e42ce6d.png

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

A model of a barn find in situ.   Amazing work to turn a beautiful model into this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Amazing work to turn a beautiful model into this.

It really is remarkable. I know that most folks would probably think this is ugly but the realism of the decay and the rust build up is incredible and has a beauty of its own. 

My wife and I took a guided, small group, urban decay, photography tour of abandoned factories and buildings in Detroit a couple of years ago. I found out later that it was actually illegal to enter these ruins but the guide had been doing it for years without a problem. Detroit was one of the world's great cities in the 1930's to 50's before it fell apart and its citizens fled.

Exploring these decaying structures filled us with a range of competing emotions. The apocalyptic scenes were both haunting  and beautiful at the same time and it was heartbreaking to see how quickly everything had been abandoned as Detroit fell into despair. Companies just shut their doors and walked away essentially leaving everything in place for the scavengers pick over and eventually for nature to reclaim...a modern apocalypse of a once magnificent city.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

When l lived in St. Louis back in the 70's and early 80's, I used to the same thing... wander around downtown and "visit" the old abandoned buildings.  The old train station was wonderful even after they decided to sink money into it and renovate it.

It sad to see the decay and abandonment.  There is a sense of what was and the people who used to work and live there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, BobG said:

...and now for an entirely different style of building a Pocher model! You can buy this one on the French eBay site for 3500 Euros.

1960414599_ScreenShot2022-01-25at12_44_06PM.thumb.png.90d6f589b23f53089b817153966c7909.png

935195968_ScreenShot2022-01-25at12_50_05PM.thumb.png.546f537ba888063fc3534a51d33b0a1e.png

1321747809_ScreenShot2022-01-25at12_44_33PM.thumb.png.83619310ffbe9193a7d63f308e42ce6d.png

Wow. This is an interesting approach and there is definitely some dystopian art going on here, a lot of attention to detail.  A decrepit, abandoned Rolls in a barn: one wonders if this is a socio-political statement by the modeler? Going for $4,000 U.S. on eBay? Wow, again!

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, never heard of the name. As I like building my ships in a large scale I am going to look into this. I would not have any room for displayi like the Ducati. 

Make them R/C would be cool. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

these are some super cool models...........I'd love to get one!  I've seen them around,  but sadly still above my budget........the admiral would kill me ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I agree with @popeye the sailor on this, too expensive for my budget.

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).