USS ENGLAND (DE-635) by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

The stays turned out peachy, Chris. The whole ship is looking fantastic. 

They would have been built red, but soon re-coated in black before it's first assigned deployment... (the red hull was too conspicuous to leave as is)

She looks absolutely stunning Chris...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

One more thing Chris, the boat would be secured inboard when in port, outboard when at sea.... I know that sounds backwards, but it was standard navy practice... Essentially making the boat easier and faster to launch in case of emergency at sea....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Chris,

England is looking great!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

This is a master build, Chris. Hard to believe it's card. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

11 hours ago, Egilman said:

One more thing Chris, the boat would be secured inboard when in port, outboard when at sea.... I know that sounds backwards, but it was standard navy practice... Essentially making the boat easier and faster to launch in case of emergency at sea....

That makes sense. Surfing the internet sources, there are photos of ships with their boats stowed in that fashion, but many others have them stowed inboard -- maybe their commanders weren't up to snuff on naval practice. It's an option to think about, and would definitely make mounting the boat easier.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

So, I decided to stow the boat outboard, as Egilman suggested. I like the effect. The kit did not include any blocks; in real life, the falls included rather massive blocks-and-tackle. I imitated these with some punched paper disks. Interestingly, the ship did not have railings on the starboard side of the superstructure where the boat was stowed -- I gather that the boat itself acted as a kind of railing when stowed inboard, and the railing would have been in the way when the boat was being swung outboard.

england93.jpg.1110c964d0d69030771e3cce803d8d16.jpg

There is now only a single white spot left on the entire model, where the jackstaff goes. 😮  We are getting closer!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

All Done!

The last few bits to install were the:

• main deck railings
  • anchors (with chain from the laser-cut detail set -- I bought some chain from Hobby Lobby, but even the smallest I could fine was too large)
  • chain stopper (not included in the kit, but shown on a diagram; it's pretty tiny -- if I didn't tell you about it, you'd be unlikely to notice it)
  • jackstaff
  • flags.

A tip for draping paper flags: they are much easier to fold if one scrapes most of the paper fibers from the back before gluing them.

Speaking of glue, I have come up with what I'm calling Coyle's Law of Gluing: "The amount of time it takes for glue to set between two parts is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes to align the two parts correctly after applying the glue." I have found this law to apply regardless of the type of glue used. And along with Coyle's Law goes Corollary #1: "If a part must be glued at two ends, one end will bond perfectly on the first try, while the other end will take four to six attempts to get it to stick."

Enjoy the pictures!

englandfinal01.jpg.1d89258e56713f04544844275ca5ca0d.jpg

englandfinal02.jpg.6c90cdb73791b9b5e0aba2c7c5ccb353.jpg

englandfinal03.jpg.7e7ee66da692c971a5b8a5bea62b8e8b.jpg

englandfinal04.jpg.7e22b9e86ef742546ffc6a60809e2c2b.jpg

englandfinal05.jpg.c0a3ae2c9dfbd38dcf1ca8496eaf602a.jpg

englandfinal06.jpg.3d96510525de25626594eaacaae7897d.jpg

englandfinal07.jpg.402cae3006105379bdeab7cebb09c367.jpg

englandfinal08.jpg.869395454480005015347b2bbb46eabe.jpg

englandfinal09.jpg.4262144e645c554adb50b7d9e2e79670.jpg

englandfinal10.jpg.65279ed4d400b991d1f304d56659ba3b.jpg

englandfinal11.jpg.8a58ed4588f6501dc2759d4ad56a8327.jpg

englandfinal12.jpg.6a15d929d74fa12665ebfb9c6f0c4049.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Wow, if I hadn't seen the log I would not believe it was card.  Supurb work, Chris.

I do like your "new" laws.  Very fitting and profound.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent result, Chris. It kind of begs for a setting....

Your Coyle's Law and Corollary are spot-on - unfortunately!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Congratulations on finishing your DE.  You are a master at building card models.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Chris,

Congratulations!  Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

17 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

I’m sure if Chris did that Ancestry DNA test that by my Admiral is so into, we would see a whole linage of Coyles from Gdańsk!

Sorry. The closest I come to having any Polish ancestry is a 3rd-great-grandfather who was born in Pommern, which is the German word for Pomerania, now in present-day Poland.

Except my ancestor wasn't born in that Pommern -- he was born in a tiny village of the same name located in Rhineland-Palatinate. So, close but no cigar. Actually, not really that close at all and still no cigar. 😂

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nicely done, Chris. A great example of how good card modeling is. 👍

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I've been thinking about what to build next. I started by going through my card model stash and pulling out all the kits that 'spoke' to me. That narrowed the possible choices down to seventeen. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Beautiful Job Brother....

As far as the next one? Isn't that Lightning speaking to you? {chuckle}

Quote:

16 minutes ago, Egilman said:

As far as the next one? Isn't that Lightning speaking to you? {chuckle}

Nope. 😅 

But I did manage to pare down the list to three frontrunners . . . at least for this evening.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Your fans are waiting with bated breath, Chris. 😁

Ken