USS ENGLAND (DE-635) by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Of course, what I'll likely do is attempt the tubes

Of course we have faith brother...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Personally I would replace them with appropriately scaled wire... Probably wouldn't satisfy the paper only crowd, but would be much much easier to fabricate...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

12 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I would replace them with appropriately scaled wire

BLASPHEMER!!

Just kidding, of course. Wire might indeed be easier, but in this instance there are no templates provided, so there would be a lot of guesswork about where to make all the bends.

Here's the first two pipes -- the easiest ones 😳 cuz they're just straight pieces. They get pretty bendy after this. Fortunately, the paper parts are printed on regular paper, not card stock, and they are the perfect size to wrap around 0.5 mm styrene rod. Also, I'm sealing the joints with thin CA, and any paper discoloration that results is virtually impossible to notice.

england51

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

BLASPHEMER!!

Just kidding, of course.

I know that brother, but there are those that would never talk to me again for making such a suggestion... Even when I tell them that most plastics are derived from plant matter in the first place... {chuckle}

We all have our purists.... What you do in that medium, it's amazing, and I will always doff my hat to you and your skills with paper and glue....

EG

Quote:

so this is where you went?!??!........such superb workmanship thus far Chris :)   you've done such great work on planes.......no doubt this will be a beauty as well!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

More pipe work and the funnel's starboard-side ladder.

england54.thumb.jpg.d76cf4724b82ba0f7d600381a2eb6893.jpg

I had a "duh" moment when I was looking at someone else's build log recently and saw a third hand vise being used. I suddenly remembered, "Hey, I have a third hand vise, too!" And ya know, it is actually quite handy -- holds my work up higher for better illumination, allows me to position my work at any angle I desire, and gives me two hands free to work with! Wowsers!! Well, better late than never, I guess. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

43 minutes ago, BrianK said:

how did you do the funnel ladder rungs? I don't think I could cut all those square holes with an xacto, without making a costly mistake......

The ladder was part of the laser-cut details set.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

Quick nuts and bolts question for you (you’re much better at this than I am).  How are you folding the really tiny pieces?  They are throwing me for a loop.

I’ve been clear coating both sides of the pieces prior to cutting out, then using the dull edge of my scalpel to crease the parts.  After cutting the parts out, I’ve been using the tip of the blade to fold the parts.

Do you have a better method for folding the parts?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

2 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Do you have a better method for folding the parts?

Nope, not really. I do the really tiny folds with tweezers tips, larger fold over the edge of a metal ruler.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Thank you very much!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Chris, the pipes look great! A question about using CA on them.... I get that you roll them first but with CA how do you get the edge flat along the seam without using your fingers and risking you becoming part of the piping? Is it all in the rolling? Like it needs to be in perfect shape with perfect seam before the glue gets near it?

Sorry for all the questions. My inner engineer and inner novice card builder are clashing. 😃 

BrianK

4 hours ago, BrianK said:

Like it needs to be in perfect shape with perfect seam before the glue gets near it?

Bingo! Once correctly rolled, I simply wick thin CA into the joint.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Well, slight setback. I'm finding the paper pipes to be a bit tedious, so I've tried making the pipes from styrene rod by using the 2-D card parts as templates. The trouble is, I very rarely need to make styrene-to-styrene bonds, so I don't have any plain ol' plastic model cement on hand to join the sections together, and none of my other glues have been making satisfactory joints. I'll probably pick up a tube of cement on the way home from work tomorrow.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, I thought that CA worked the best for bonding styrene to styrene? Not true?? 

2 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Chris, I thought that CA worked the best for bonding styrene to styrene? Not true?? 

NOoooooo... CA is the worst glue for Styrene made... the best is liquid MEK... (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) Testors Plastic Cement for Models in liquid form...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

20 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Well, slight setback. I'm finding the paper pipes to be a bit tedious, so I've tried making the pipes from styrene rod by using the 2-D card parts as templates. The trouble is, I very rarely need to make styrene-to-styrene bonds, so I don't have any plain ol' plastic model cement on hand to join the sections together, and none of my other glues have been making satisfactory joints. I'll probably pick up a tube of cement on the way home from work tomorrow.

I don't blame you Chris, those ones you have done look super, I can only imagine trying to roll and bend card into those intricate shapes!  Hope the glue supplies are in stock for you. 👍

Must have found the hobby store open Chris.

Can't just walk out with only the item you "need." Always need to look around and add to the list. :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Must have found the hobby store open Chris.

Can't just walk out with only the item you "need." Always need to look around and add to the list. :D

True.  We can't waste gas on multiple trips so if we see something that "might" be useful, we grab it.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

Can't just walk out with only the item you "need." Always need to look around and add to the list.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Quote:

11 hours ago, lmagna said:

Always need to look around and add to the list.

I always cruise around and look for stuff that I might be able to use down the road.

Here's a bit more pipe. I won't go into detail about how aggravating it was to get this little bit done. With my headband magnifier I can see all the niggling mistakes, but I have to admit that from a stand-off distance, it's looking pretty awesome.

20220413_215659.thumb.jpg.980a3e23bcefc3326529e47548b213eb.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco