Mast and spars by hand?

Dave_E

Good Morning Everyone,

While I wait for the wire to arrive to make split rings needed for cannon rigging, thought I’d take a crack at the mast or the bow sprit. I have searched many build logs to see lots of lathes. I have yet to see any photos of masts being tapered by hand. Does anyone really do all the tapering required for a ship by hand? I went out last night and bought a dowl, cut it to length (I have enough for 3 practice masts) and will try the drill motor method and the small plane, file and sandpaper method. I obviously don’t have a lathe and am not going to get one, and will therefore readily accept all suggestions and tips for the other two methods. 😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I have done all my masts and yards by hand so far. If you taper down to size by squaring it with a file, then make it eight sided this works quicker than sanding alone. Sand when you are done with filing to round it out. Just remember to keep checking with calipers. Even if you use a lathe, there are portions of masts and yards which need to be done by hand. Having said this, I recently acquired a lathe which I hope will speed up the work.

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

I'm right there with you Dave. Cannot see investing in a lathe. I did purchase the book " The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War " by James Lee, from Discover Books. It gives very good detail on masts and rigging for ships from 1625 to 1860. There is also a good article on making masks from square stock here under the NRG articles. Combine the two and you should be good to go.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Well, I'm doing it the same way as Richard:

I make sure to have an extra length of about 2cm on the foot of the mast or one side of the yard. Then each section is filed first square then octagonal and the necessary taper is worked in at the same time. Some parts e.g. the centre of the yard or a mast top may stay octagonal.

For sanding I put it by the extra length into the chuck of a simple hand drilling machine. Taking the sanding paper into my right hand I move it up and down the octagonal wile adjusting the pressure onto the wood, I vary the rpm's with my left. Starting with coarse sanding paper I put on the finish with a fine grain.

Sometimes the dowel provided with the kit may be actually too small to work a required octagon or the square foot of a mast. Then after filing that section square I double it up to the required dimension by gluing wood strips onto the surface. Thereafter I work it into the required form.

Peter

I use a combination of both  filing and  spinning with a drill ( no lathe ) ..  Take care to sand out the circular marks from spinning.

I also break what would be one long piece into two or more pieces, because smaller pieces are easier to work with.

image.png.13c8cea8d4be34e47f991709a8ba1fa1.png

Arrows point to separate parts of main and topmast.

image.png.52e8b7ca6057f43209d84f6c3aab58aa.png

This also makes it easier to mount some of the rigging elements before putting it all together.

I also like to split up yards into two pieces while finishing.  Makes it easier to taper from the fat end to the skinny end.

I turned this:

image.png.0e30fb5bdf90c585cb6e810c5d973d86.png

Into this:

image.png.26fd0e40501e10d8b4585b12a5c9d52f.png

While I cut my blanks with a laser, you can do the same with square stock.

Which is not to say the same thing can't be accomplished with round stock, and just as easily IMO..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Starting with a dowel is doing things the hard way.  Start with a straight grained piece of flat stock and lay out the shape of your spar.  Using your favorite method- plane, chisel, saw, cut the material to the correct shape with a square cross section.  Now make your square cross sectioned stick eight sided, then sixteen sided.  Your sixteen sided stick can now be chucked in a lathe or power drill and sanded round.

31 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Starting with a dowel is doing things the hard way.

Some may think starting with a kit is doing things the hard way, but that is what the majority of our build logs consist of.

Unfortunately, dowels are what are provided for masting  in all kits that I am aware of.

Understandably, most kit builders who are just breaking into this hobby are not keen on making the additional investment in suitable square stock.

Many may take this approach if they stay with the hobby long enough, but first, lets help them out with what they are challenged with as beginners.

Dowels, while presenting some challenges, are fairly easy to turn into square or other sections as needed.  They are particularly easy to turn into smaller round sections.

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

There's been more than few topics on this... here's just one.  There's lot of ways of doing this and most methods seem to buried on build logs.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23725-hand-planing-fixture/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another problem with dowels is the grain. Look closely. Typically the grain doesn't run from one end to the other like a piece of square stock. It goes all over the place. This can lead to your part warping and loosing straightness over time.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I headed over to one of the local hardware store to get new dowels for the masts of Bluenose, I went with round dowels from start.

I had to go through some 26 dowels to find myself 4 usable straight once. I placed them on the floor and if they could roll without any major effort they were fine.

Sighting from one end to another didn't show any warp at all. 
These dowels are larger than what plans says so there was a lot of sanding to get the proper shape.

And yes, I put the dowel in my power drill and sanded it by hand. I use a leather glow that holds the sandpaper, this to avoid the heat build up from the turning.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Just a thought …

If using the dowel-in-drill chuck method, be prudent about your drill RPM. High RPM increases risk of snapping off the spar, perhaps with injurious results ( to the spar and drill operator) especially on thin spars. More so the longer the spar is. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Good Morning MSW,

1st attempt with a dowel from the hobby store. Mixed emotions for sure. As hard as this process seems to be, I’m surprised I haven’t read more about the tedious task of mast and spar making. I took my time using mostly 60g paper. Found out that when I put the drill motor in the high speed position with a full trigger pull (am aware of the breakage possibility), material comes off faster. I even tried using a wood carving tool (didn’t really work). What did work… (pretty well actually) was using my dremil while the drill motor is running. Saw that technique from a guy on YouTube. Got all the way to the top and that’s where things stopped. That entire top needs to be taken from 8mm to 6mm. No idea how to make that happen without a lathe kind of setup. Maybe use a longer piece to start with, then cut off the excess? I used a clamp to keep the drill trigger pulled, my left hand to hold the dowel fairly steady and my right hand to use the sandpaper or dremil. This was totally an experimental learning process. Sure made a mess. How the walnut dowels will perform compared to this I don’t know.  Has anyone ever turn 2 pieces of a mast you thought would break and pinned/glued them together? Just thought I’d share.

42096A97-8B34-4E08-9AB9-665C63B68F64.thumb.jpeg.56c47b4f7d2deb46e4dc7e1990f34b59.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Great start for a first time effort...

It's how you find what works for you..

― Jimmy Buffett

The dowels I am working with are oak.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

30 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Has anyone ever turn 2 pieces of a mast you thought would break and pinned/glued them together?

The hard part is finding a suitable place where the joint is not obvious.

As I showed above, I did the square part above the cross trees separate.  Not a lot of help with the total length.    I also made the top mast in two pieces.  Again not much help with total length, but helps with the really small part that is easier to break.

It's easier doing the yards, as you can hide the joint with battens, rigging or paint.

Let me know if I can provide a little more detail.

― Jimmy Buffett

Dave, that mast is looking pretty good. I've never tried using a drill, perhaps I'll give it a go next time.

I have always scraped my spars to shape them. I use a #22 xacto blade and draw it towards myself, turning the dowel as I go. I've also done this with square stock, but I usually use the kit supplied dowels. I've never really had a problem with them.  You can remove a lot of material surprisingly fast. There is still a fair bit of sanding to do, but the scraping gets the bulk of the work done. The result is never 100% perfectly round as it would be using a lathe, but it's not hard to get very close to perfect and certainly close enough for my eye.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

42 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Hey Doc,

What's your supply depot for the oak dowels?

Home depot of all the placed....😀

Respectfully

Worked oak mast to the left - untouched to the right20220414_114529.thumb.jpg.52e50246b6c5d1e9ce410ccb37d3d2d3.jpg

Respectfully

My simple solution; drill, dowel sandpaper in hand and half an hour work.

20220414_130541.thumb.jpg.b6e1e90efdcea7d7a55d450b90ebce79.jpg20220414_130551.thumb.jpg.5ca2b7e6f85984c2b063a96724a7ae42.jpg

And here's a link.

Respectfully

• 8 months later...

I carve mine with a scalpel and sand smooth.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hi Dave, I’m using a mini block plane and sandpaper. The area of the dowel that I want to remove stock from is darkened with a pencil lead so that you can see where you have planed. Starting at the top of the mast work your way down adding a few more inches each time you finish planing. Once you get to the part of the mast that doesn’t need tapering, go back to the top and start the process over again. I used 120 grit paper every once in a while between planing. If there’s a bit of a wow in the dowel more material can be removed from one side than the other. Took about an hour to do this one so it is kind of time consuming.

31D7BE35-D4DD-4AC6-9EED-4D99E0755B6B.thumb.jpeg.44e8940e113fda7f17e542f83bf55cd1.jpeg

FDF569BD-248D-4318-87B0-E711605769E5.thumb.jpeg.7a94a21bcac04b37425a91f7d4428f99.jpeg

D2D6E7FE-A7CC-4351-A791-B37711E0B3C0.thumb.jpeg.15e7197173f5f7fa07c6d7daba5f1654.jpeg

3904A997-5E87-4025-A927-77D7995DF908.thumb.jpeg.a9c629b870f7ffa47305b2d8998f378e.jpeg

BD10DC50-4E11-4DDC-AF9B-F095FDCA855A.thumb.jpeg.d63a6a829c04fb4d27d272266e8063da.jpeg

B3238149-5944-41AE-9C94-BAC329AC1696.thumb.jpeg.94b83e43bfe089393d077f10e0913f18.jpeg

4A2E08D7-ACEA-4939-B067-7CDFD33F86C8.thumb.jpeg.8c4cd6fd53b79f402fd847cd7ae144e4.jpeg

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company.