Weserflug P.1003/1 by King Derelict - FINISHED - Amusing hobby 1/48

Display case for Campanula waiting to dry, Seehund base drying so I wanted something to work on that wouldn't take too long while other things were on hold.

This is the VTOL concept Weserflug P1003 in 1/48 scale. I'm not sure if it counts as Luft46 material given that it was a prewar concept that never made it off paper. In essence it has a valid concept but as with all STOVL aircraft the devil is in the details. The two big issues are usually weight vs thrust (its a direct relationship in VTOL) and control. Tilt wing and tilt rotor have culminated in the V-22 and the complexity of the control system is staggering. 

This was to have been a two man crew with a single fuselage mounted engine driving the overlarge propellors. With driven shafts and gearboxes weight must be an issue and controlling the wing movement must be an issue. With limited wing in the flight plane the aircraft would have to be VTOL rather than STOVL I would think which limits weight even more and the in-air transition would be more exciting.

I have spent more than half my career on non-helo STOVL aircraft so I'm a bit of an easy sell for this kit. I'm happy to park my doubts and see how it comes out.

RIMG1357.thumb.JPG.cde3f66e4e2bc61fe2e94110a2093fbe.JPG

The kit comes with a nice big instruction booklet with three colour schemes (all fictitious of course) generally using the leopard spot camouflage in one way or other. Decent sized assembly drawings

265261513_RIMG1359(1280x720).jpg.a2ed188925e4b6cc54e2c772e2681320.jpg

I doubt this is a recommended flight configuration

306019495_RIMG1361(1280x720).jpg.b77e8d93a3b3717de3db715655c6045d.jpg

The sprues are nice and clean, No flash or major mould lines and reasonable injection points to the parts. So fr the parts fit beautifully. Every locating pin fits its partner hole and it is  delight to put together.

1569969739_RIMG1362(1280x720).jpg.0fd06edd7274aba4d8d1c73e8411ad77.jpg

Its a single seat cockpit (weight limitations must have ruled out that second crew member).

The main landing gear is very nicely done, made up of four pieces with an arm that clips into lugs in the main leg and then swings down into position in the fuselage.  

1691404031_RIMG1368(1280x720).jpg.0c9151133dcd7084e4a53f7b252f7e39.jpg

So far this seems to be a very well thought out kit regardless of the authenticity of the finished model.

It looks like being a nice side project and I hope you enjoy seeing it come together.

Thanks for looking in

Alan

Well I'm not too much into flights of fancy like Luft '46 and that stuff... But the Germans had a lot of very talented people that could forward think really well... And given time, they would have made a lot of these speculative design ideas a reality...

I'm in brother... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

20 hours ago, CDW said:

Nice project Alan. Looking forward to this one.

The Germans paved the way for the modern day, Marine Corps Osprey.

Thanks Craig. I think this is going to be fun and the kit is a delight. Its my first aircraft so I'm right back at the beginning working out order of assembly and basic stuff about colours. 

As far as I can tell this is the start of the DNA chain that leads to the V=22

Alan

17 hours ago, Egilman said:

Well I'm not too much into flights of fancy like Luft '46 and that stuff... But the Germans had a lot of very talented people that could forward think really well... And given time, they would have made a lot of these speculative design ideas a reality...

I'm in brother... 

Thanks for joining Egilman. The steadying hand is always welcome. I agree with you I am not very keen on the wild ideas that seem to have come out of Germany towards the end of the war. I assume having a megalomaniac demanding wonder weapons really stimulates the imagination.

Although this never made it off the drawing board I think it has its basis in realistic possibility. Weight would be an issue and control and stability in VTOL mode would be interesting but it might have been possible. You only have to look under the hood of an AV-8B to see what you can do with rods, cables and bike chains.

Alan

Most definitely the West got a treasure trove of flight data, along with the Soviets. Many fascinating concepts that took years to come to fruition. I'm in on this bird. 😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

13 minutes ago, CDW said:

Think Operation Paperclip. Realize all the technological advances that came as a result of that operation, not the least of which was the 1st manned landing on the moon.

Definitely Craig. Paperclip had some controversy but it was practical politics in the postwar world.

And some of the concepts were valid but the execution had to wait until the associated technologies were available to enable them.

In my field the F-35B has a number of previous concepts in it but needs the massive computing power available today to make it flyable, some of which are actually derivatives of Soviet designs. Very little starts in isolation but is a development of something else.

Fascinating stuff

Alan

I'm in.  Fascinating concept aircraft.  The Germans did get beyond the manufacturing abilities during war.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

I assume having a megalomaniac demanding wonder weapons really stimulates the imagination.

Alan

This may have been part of it, but I am not so certain it's the whole of it. Where exactly thoughts and ideas came/come from remains elusive and not beyond debate. The regime of that time dabbled in many things not often seen as 'orthodox'. 

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

This may have been part of it, but I am not so certain it's the whole of it. Where exactly thoughts and ideas came/come from remains elusive and not beyond debate. The regime of that time dabbled in many things not often seen as 'orthodox'. 

And all  that reverse engineered  stuff  - trying to create zero gravity  crafts.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The flying wing ideas of the Horton brothers began in the late 30s, I seem to recall. As well as the helos.  And the megalomaniac screwed with so many aircraft designs, demanding dive bombers from his twin engine bombers and the Me-262. Delayed deployment of a sizable chunk of the Luftwaffe in these wide goose chases. Luckily for us.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Before the USMC did it, Canada had it done....the CL-84 Dynavert.

They even tested a gunship version of it with 7.62 miniguns in pods.

Canadair CL-84 Dynavert - Wikipedia

Cool project!  

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Hiller was the first one to get a tilt-wing to fly the X-18 in 1955...

They were followed by Curtis-Wright  with the X-19 in 1960, followed by the Ling Temco Vought XC-142 in 1964, then the Bell X-22 in 1966 and finally the Canadair CL-84 "Dynavert" in 1972....

But is is important to note that these are all tilt-wing aircraft, the V-22 Osprey is a Tilt-Rotor aircraft, same aeronautical theory, completely different mechanical arrangement...

But they are all amazing engineering accomplishments...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 10/5/2022 at 9:34 PM, mtaylor said:

I'm in.  Fascinating concept aircraft.  The Germans did get beyond the manufacturing abilities during war.   

Welcome Mark

I've been reading up some of my STOVL material and it registered that tilt rotor (like the V-22) requires a surplus of power compared with tilt wing because in tilt rotor you waste thrust blowing on the non-compliant wing.

So for the days of limited power (although in STOVL you always have limited power) the Germans made the correct choice. The fixed stub wings might even have given them a little STOVL capability too

Alan

On 10/5/2022 at 10:40 PM, CDW said:

Craig

You are right, I was being a bit frivolous but I do get the impression Hitler wasn't an easy person to tell that the wonder weapons were not working out.

As you say their science and arts had some strange and esoteric frontiers all the way to mysticism. Maybe thats a fertile environment for unrestrained thinking

Alan

On 10/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, Canute said:

The flying wing ideas of the Horton brothers began in the late 30s, I seem to recall. As well as the helos.  And the megalomaniac screwed with so many aircraft designs, demanding dive bombers from his twin engine bombers and the Me-262. Delayed deployment of a sizable chunk of the Luftwaffe in these wide goose chases. Luckily for us.

Definitely Ken

Along with his fat Reichsmarshall I think they severely reduced the effectiveness of the Luftwaffe and could be argued paved the way to losing the war. No complaints on my part. The aviation designs and concepts are fascinating though. The Ho229 in particular. Again an early concept that led to things like the YB-49 i think. I have a Ho229 on the wish list

Alan

Looking forward to what you are able to do with this Alan

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 10/6/2022 at 9:00 AM, NavyShooter said:

Before the USMC did it, Canada had it done....the CL-84 Dynavert.

They even tested a gunship version of it with 7.62 miniguns in pods.

Canadair CL-84 Dynavert - Wikipedia

Cool project!  

Thanks Brad

I think there are a number of variations on the tilt rotor / tilt wing theme.  Some were pretty successful even before the digital age.

Alan

On 10/6/2022 at 12:24 PM, Egilman said:

Hiller was the first one to get a tilt-wing to fly the X-18 in 1955...

They were followed by Curtis-Wright  with the X-19 in 1960, followed by the Ling Temco Vought XC-142 in 1964, then the Bell X-22 in 1966 and finally the Canadair CL-84 "Dynavert" in 1972....

But is is important to note that these are all tilt-wing aircraft, the V-22 Osprey is a Tilt-Rotor aircraft, same aeronautical theory, completely different mechanical arrangement...

But they are all amazing engineering accomplishments...

Thanks as always Egilman,

Great reference information. I have a nagging feeling that there was a German tilt wing post war Dornier maybe? I haven't had time to dig out that STOVL book

Alan

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Looking forward to what you are able to do with this Alan

Thanks Lou

I hope you will like it. The kit provides three colour schemes all what i would think as late war. I think I will try what I think is the night scheme of black underside and the leopard light grey and violet grey above

Alan

The cockpit has been finished off in the late war dark grey. I added some dry brush metal on the wear surfaces around the cockpit and a panel line wash. I used the Mig panel line wash and found it didn't flow terribly well until I added more thinner.

971569278_RIMG1386(1280x720).jpg.b25748621f5a0ed3baabddf61672896a.jpg

733202172_RIMG1387(1280x720).jpg.cc9f727024d812a9d22efb0708daa891.jpg

It's not terribly noticeable but a check with the canopy on suggests it's all going to be invisible anyway. Tape seat belts and I used the Mig crystal fluid in the instrument dials and then some bright metal wear.

2027199947_RIMG1389(795x1280).thumb.jpg.70c756547c88fe97fdbf6606efc2a838.jpg

Then closed it all up. It went together nicely and needed little clamping to hold the fuselage halves together. The fit has been great. The stub wing is quite a complicated shape but it fitted without any persuasion.

2100294210_RIMG1390(844x1280).thumb.jpg.d1df2916ea08c1f2d2d41f89fdb86e7e.jpg

A coat of Mig One Shot black primer and then onto colours

1339201710_RIMG1391(1280x720).jpg.c8eda6e1fba0a3cd2342f03ef77c89d9.jpg

I borrowed someone technique and used clear coat to "glue" the masked canopy in place. It seemed to be a good fit and easier than masking around the seat

457272007_RIMG1393(1280x720).jpg.02aba329bc2fe3fb48336c9c7234022f.jpg

Thanks for all the input and likes. I hope everyone has a great weekend

Alan

Unfortunately the cockpit gets closed up, but you did a nice job beating up the details in it. Typical of a aircraft used hard, with so-so maintenance.

Ken

27 minutes ago, Canute said:

Unfortunately the cockpit gets closed up, but you did a nice job beating up the details in it. Typical of a aircraft used hard, with so-so maintenance.

Thanks Ken

It looks a little better closer to actual size 😃

I imagine there were some fast grabs for the controls in this one at times

Alan

3 hours ago, king derelict said:

I have a nagging feeling that there was a German tilt wing post war Dornier maybe?

Yep, The Dornier Do 31... in all respects to the extent they tested it, it surpasses the Osprey... (it was never flight tested to it's full capability) They simply ran out of money and when they tried to sell it to the US Navy for onboard replenishment, they Navy wasn't interested...

The first truly successful V/STOL aircraft... And one that most know nothing about... It was actually capable of doing an aileron roll, or what would pass for one in a conventional airplane.... (demonstrated in public, and the test pilot was told to never do it again)

It was definitely an example of forward thinking, and of others without that capability deciding what to do...

Quote: