Weserflug P.1003/1 by King Derelict - FINISHED - Amusing hobby 1/48

The "Not Invented Here" syndrome. Seen it a lot in my flying career.😒

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

11 hours ago, Canute said:

The "Not Invented Here" syndrome. Seen it a lot in my flying career.😒

The bane of cooperative ventures. I spent some time at McDonnell-Douglas St. Louis back in the 90s (when corporate budgets allowed office supplies with company names and logos) and there were die-hards who would cut the "-Douglas" off the end of their pencils. Rolls-Royce Derby went out of their way to ignore what was done at Rolls-Royce Bristol. As for Joint European ventures.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Alan

I was at a Red Flag flying exercise at Nellis back in the 70s and called an A-4 Sky Hawk a McDonnell Douglas product. They about took my head off. So my beloved Phantom is a McDonnell only product. Mr McDonnell was into the occult with respect to his aircraft. Phantom I & II, Banshee, Demon, VooDoo. Happy Halloween and Samhain.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Mr. McDonnell was a character to say the least and actually acted like a human being around the workers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, Canute said:

I was at a Red Flag flying exercise at Nellis back in the 70s and called an A-4 Sky Hawk a McDonnell Douglas product. They about took my head off. So my beloved Phantom is a McDonnell only product. Mr McDonnell was into the occult with respect to his aircraft. Phantom I & II, Banshee, Demon, VooDoo. Happy Halloween and Samhain.

And then along came Boeing. They have out a welcome package to St Louis employees including a Boeing pin. A lot seemed to end up in the car park.

The names live on a bit though

The call sign for the X-32 at flight test was Phantom 1 (may not be the best inheritance for the wonderful F4) and the St Louis advanced projects is the Phantom Works

Alan

I knew the St Louis facility was the Phantom Works. Nice way to commemorate the jet.

Luckily, there are a number of preserved Phantoms around the US. The one we got at McGuire is a MiG killer; I think USAF wanted to preserve them, rather than expending those as drones for missile testing. And a town near that base got a Thunderbird F-4.

Boeing has some good planes, just not any fighters in a long time. Calling an Eagle a Boeing product my be technically true, but Micky D designed and built the bulk of them.

I got to pick up new, factory fresh Phantoms, with one or two hours in the log book. Delivered one to the Shah, back in 75.

Ken

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Boeing has some good planes, just not any fighters in a long time. Calling an Eagle a Boeing product my be technically true, but Micky D designed and built the bulk of them.

Yep. It goes around. There used to be a sign outside the St Louis AV-8B engineering building that said "Home of the Harrier" Used to upset the BAe people something rotten.

Alan

I'll bet. "noive o' some people", as Bugs Bunny would say. 😉

Ken

Apart from reflecting on the happy days in aviation I actually have been doing a bit on the Westerflug. 

I air brushed the light grey paint onto the upper half of the model and had a bit of an unexpected result. The paint went on well but maybe because of the addition of too much thinner or because the panel lines are a bit deep the panel lines came through in the black primer even after two light coats of grey. I was trying to vary the depth of colour across the wings to make the aircraft look a bit used. I suspect the addition of the blue violet leopard spots will pretty much make it worthless.

117730157_RIMG1394(1280x720).jpg.dccc5b6068b55b450e23728d8557c310.jpg

1540410134_RIMG1395(1280x720).jpg.e7ab882eb20a31f1e56e9a24b122917e.jpg

So I seem to have got the panel lines for free.

I masked up and sprayed the matt black on the underside and completely forgot to take photos. It came out quite nicely and needed very little touch up. The wheel wells were busied up with some plastic rod hydraulic tubes and brake lines on the gear legs. I forgot those photos too.

Then it was time for the scary bit - the leopard spots. I trialed sponge pieces and tried to make a cardboard mask and didn't like the results on a few test pieces, Eventually I settled on using a cotton bud with just the tip wetted with paint and then the excess dabbed off. 

I found it harder than it seemed to try to get a random pattern but I found that working the dabs over in about four layers got something that I think is acceptable. Possibly the spots are too big but I think teh overall look is okay. A gloss coat was added and the decals went on very nicely. The naughty insignia on the tailfin was a nice two piece decal that was easy to line up

2023985399_RIMG1396(1280x588).jpg.8c600c5e2c1453260760b848b618c558.jpg

2093680904_RIMG1397(1280x720).jpg.381132202b8c7c91278cb27c3eec8eec.jpg

2146870244_RIMG1399(1280x792).jpg.0f0bba7ed463500edc1076fd86268a09.jpg

I put the rotors on - and they spin - although twiddling by anyone else is banned,

The canopy has been masked and painted. Some basic touch up to follow

158895585_RIMG1400(1280x780).jpg.0bfdba49441ab02662b8585baf0e811f.jpg

1759055120_RIMG1402(1280x678).jpg.ee142acea8c254c562631fab1563feb2.jpg

The kit instructions list a raft of Mig weathering products but I'm at a bit of a loss to know whether it really makes much sense. The engine exhaust are in the matt black part of the paint scheme so sooting is not going to show. I've added a bit of bare metal around the wheel wells and gear but I don't see much scope beyond that. Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks for all the interesting input and the likes and for stopping by. Better photos tomorrow I hope

Alan

Alan, I think soot would be appropriate in the exhaust. You could dust Pan Pastel chalks for that. The paint scheme turned out well. That's a pretty standard night fighter scheme with Lichtblau over Schwarz with Grauviolett mottling. 👍

Ken

Thank you very much Craig. Much appreciated. I think its given me a bit of confidence to try another aircraft soon. This is a great kit for fit and detail. Their interpretation of the concept is quite good. It would be interesting to know if it was ever expected to make a conventional take off. Once the tail comes up those rotors get very close to the ground.

Alan

4 minutes ago, Canute said:

Alan, I think soot would be appropriate in the exhaust. You could dust Pan Pastel chalks for that. The paint scheme turned out well. That's a pretty standard night fighter scheme with Lichtblau over Schwarz with Grauviolett mottling. 👍

Thanks very much Ken

I'll try some sooting while I'm finishing the details. 

Alan

That is truly a one of kind model it will draw attention.  Beautifully done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Splendid work mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

What an interesting subject Alan!  Great job on the camo too - this is really cool, certainly a conversation starter!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Cool looking contraption🙂. I love the camo paint job! Very nicely done Alan. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

What an interesting subject Alan!  Great job on the camo too - this is really cool, certainly a conversation starter!

Thank you so much Mike. I was very nervous about the camo. Now I can dust off the Me262 kit. Its definitely an interesting subject. A STOVL collection would be an interesting project with this at one end and the F-35B at the other. So many models out there

Alan

I added the wheel well doors and the canopy after a dip in clear coat to get rid of the scratches. I used some Mig streaking wash to add a bit of leaking oil from the gearboxes at the wing tips.

Some sooting around the exhausts and I think this one is finished.

Photos aren't much better. I need to work on the lighting but at least the canopy is in place.

269270393_RIMG1412(1280x720).jpg.4568320278b0e3b4ab128df8e99caf8e.jpg

1457082063_RIMG1415(1280x720).jpg.cb6411f487090fe2ad2ab5c486fcb61f.jpg

1195415293_RIMG1416(1280x720).jpg.ee5c12c0b64fb1bfa209705e061d74cd.jpg

1449135822_RIMG1417(1280x720).jpg.10413da9cbeb345696c389fc1c826a84.jpg

Thank you for all the kind comments and the Likes and for stopping by.

Alan

Would love to see you do a Harrier  to go with  your scheme.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:57 PM, king derelict said:

Thank you very much Mark. Maybe I need to build a V-22 to park next to it

Alan

A V-22 would be bit of icing on the cake.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

8 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Would love to see you do a Harrier  to go with  your scheme.

OC.

I have a real affection for the Harriers. I spent five exciting years supporting the AV-8B, GR7 and Sea Harrier when accident and maintenance issues were getting us a lot of unwanted attention. It was great project to work on. The USMC really wanted to keep the aircraft viable and the airframer, engine company and customers all really pulled together. 

I would really like to do a Sea Harrier, GR7 and AV-8B.

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

So many kits - so little time. 🙂

I contemplate building "my" STOVL birds. I have the X-32B, F-35B (Green Knights) I need to add the Harriers and the V-22

Alan

You could also acquire a Glencoe #05201 which is the McDonnell XV-1 convertiplane...

1374090877_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.bd7a2edd6391ada44b9bb73160f7978c.jpg

In a yummy 1/32nd scale, price looks quite reasonable as well... We could do a dual build on her.... {chuckle} she would be perfect for the Rub-n-Buff treatment....

This one is mine... they are not hard to find and are still reasonably priced...

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.9158e35cd8fb3fcb6032eb5f3df6e171.JPG

Or perhaps a Bell XV-3 Convertiplane.... can't get anymore STOL that these...

1575750462_s-l1600(4).jpg.b15e1655a2023225662d1994631855a2.jpg

I just acquired one myself, there are several still available but they are becoming hard to find so the prices are going up....

It's only 1/43rd scale so it won't fit my collection unless I upscale her...

I've got lots of projects as well, just not enough time for them all... {chuckle}

EG

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

I have a real affection for the Harriers. I spent five exciting years supporting the AV-8B, GR7 and Sea Harrier when accident and maintenance issues were getting us a lot of unwanted attention. It was great project to work on. The USMC really wanted to keep the aircraft viable and the airframer, engine company and customers all really pulled together. 

I would really like to do a Sea Harrier, GR7 and AV-8B.

Alan

A very underated  Jet    with so  much  style,    Kinetic  do some really nice  1/48  kits  of Harriers    and I think  Hasegawa  do some  AV-8   kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.