Loarre Castle (Spain) by King Derelict - Aedes Ars 1/200

I've made an initial sanding of the outer tower walls and completed the curved tower after much grumbling. Its a bit messy but it will clean up although its going to be very frustrating to sand down between the pillars and windows. I then discovered a mistake with the curved tower. Somehow I had let the template creep out of position while the glue was setting and didn't notice it until I came to start the walls around it.

RIMG1907x.thumb.jpg.65793eb8b03a6a9b29d09bc27265fe79.jpg

You can see the section of green at bottom right showing where the wall should go. 

RIMG1908x.thumb.jpg.a175da4235c0df5125dd25d937a0a39a.jpg

And with the next level in place there is a nasty gap.

So I dismantled the upper part of the wall on the right, cut some card to shape and glued it into place after filing the right side wall to a steeper angle where it meets the pillar. That allowed me to rotate the pillars a bit and the wall will curve more.

RIMG1909x.thumb.jpg.8b023a48c4c4543ae91e51187f2213de.jpg

I rebuilt the wall and it seems to have done the job. I plan to add another piece of card under the upper part of the tower which is just resting in place at present. That will be large enough to sit on the walls and should help stopping any light bleed

I did a quick check and all lights are still functioning.

I started on the upper works and am now down to the last bag of blocks.

RIMG1910x.thumb.jpg.f80db2b8fe73b637c4a51fbe77a07aa2.jpg

I think I will make it but its amazing how many blocks disappear from the tray when you lay one of the longer walls.

Now I am encountering some conundrums with the upper details and the plan (general guide) is no real help

RIMG1912x.thumb.jpg.c7f3edee30c75d4c58292309cc324819.jpg

If you look through the arch into a courtyard marked C there are arrows on the surrounding walls showing where piece "C" is fitted. This lines it up with the sill of the arch that leads from the courtyard into "B"

RIMG1916x.thumb.jpg.47d59669c4b4afe879da701a0ac80597.jpg

Thats fine except that then leaves the raised floor halfway up the initial archway.  I'm not sure what the optimum solution is. Maybe cut back the floor and build a set of stairs running up to the raided floor. There is another curiosity. The templates seem to suggest that interior walls are not built . Instead a series of piers three blocks high are built at intervals along the walls. That might hold the floor - except its too small

RIMG1919x.thumb.jpg.ef08c2bd7af366ea2acef7ac545ec291.jpg

Piece "C" is one blocks width too small for the space so will fall within the piers - or even an interior wall. The same is true for courtyard "B":

RIMG1920x.thumb.jpg.2fc14b67709e7e64df8fd2d05f7cd7b9.jpg

I think I will make some new templates that are wider and build interior walls for them to rest on.

The guide doesn't have any useful views on the subject. RIMG1921x.thumb.jpg.9679d75f0deda3ef96c77f1440f84bef.jpg

RIMG1923x.thumb.jpg.0d12fc550057c9961f80962338307a90.jpg

It looks like we have reached the interesting part of the build. I'll see if there are any detail photos of the real thing that might be enlightening. Otherwie its time to get that artistic license out and read the fine print!

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments

Alan

It  looks  like  it  needs  blocks  on both  sides Alan,    on one  of  your  pics  above  it  looks   like its  asking for  blocks  on both sides,  that  would  explain  the  under size  floor  cards.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

How  are  the  floors  meant  to be  -  small  stones  like  shingle,    you  could  build  up  around  the  walls  to  make  up the  right  width  to  match  the  card  shapes,  and  where   you  need  to  make a  false floor  higher  -  you  could  add another  layer  of  bricks  to the  height  you  need,  that  would  support  the  raised  floors  (I would  make  your  floors  with  shingle  material  before  fitting them   so they  have  some  strength)    I also  agree  about   the  need  for a  few colums  to support  the  middle areas.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 8:23 PM, Old Collingwood said:

It  looks  like  it  needs  blocks  on both  sides Alan,    on one  of  your  pics  above  it  looks   like its  asking for  blocks  on both sides,  that  would  explain  the  under size  floor  cards.

OC.

Thanks OC. The templates and the guide are contradictory in places and I agree with you the wall needs to be doubled and that's the direction I have gone in.

Alan

On 9/4/2023 at 8:40 PM, Old Collingwood said:

How  are  the  floors  meant  to be  -  small  stones  like  shingle,    you  could  build  up  around  the  walls  to  make  up the  right  width  to  match  the  card  shapes,  and  where   you  need  to  make a  false floor  higher  -  you  could  add another  layer  of  bricks  to the  height  you  need,  that  would  support  the  raised  floors  (I would  make  your  floors  with  shingle  material  before  fitting them   so they  have  some  strength)    I also  agree  about   the  need  for a  few colums  to support  the  middle areas.

OC.

Most of the floors or courtyards seem to be a gravel surface and Aedes Ars gives you a tiny bag of white ground material which is nowhere near enough to do anything useful with. I could mix it with some ground block material but it would have to be mostly block dust to cover the ground so I think its off to see what Woodland Scenic and others have to offer. Thanks for the help

Alan

Time to rescue this from the bottom of the page. Actually I've been getting a fair bit of work done during the week but I'm conscious that progress isn't too apparent if I update at frequent intervals

The problem with the elevated courtyard and the arch sort of resolved itself.

RIMG1925x.thumb.jpg.8a25b5c301f170a3f6cf13939ee5a8f9.jpg

I put some matte black paint immediately inside the enclosed area to make it harder to see what is in there and added the floors to the areas B and C

RIMG1926x.thumb.jpg.251ffc4fa145e1cf01d02ecca3f45187.jpg

The floor rests on the lip of the inside walls. I decided that I didn't like the arch on the inner wall of courtyard B so I ripped it out and then continued building the walls up from the new floor level.

RIMG1934x.thumb.jpg.26025372b9acb3489dfecacefb05e872.jpg

This created a step down beyond the arch. I quite like it. With the black floor it has a sense of descending into a passage leading down into the castle. After that I continued building up the walls and came up to the next area that requires a bit of thought. The towers and their embrasures. The templates have very small crenellations which don't look at all sensible with the figures - they are barely waist high. This is an area where the scale is a bit of an issue - the blocks are really too big to make decent crenellations.

RIMG1928x.thumb.jpg.97f5df3e25b185b8680506ef0cef6f5c.jpg

I'm still pondering on the final answer to this but in the meantime the tower walls were finish and I paved the roof

RIMG1930x.thumb.jpg.fa08e4bba9d81fb584ac4436c511c9f4.jpg

Then added two additional tiers of blocks (another concern if the Loarre Castle wardens ever come to Hobe Sound for their holidays)

The same was done with the smaller (Queens) tower. I'm working on the adjacent structures now with a couple more roofs added. The several walls that start in various places and join to other structures is an area of the build that needs attention because the uneven sizes of the blocks and the sanding along with my inexactitudes can result in the inner and outer walls being unequal heights or the tiers on one side of the tower being a different height to the other side. Generally it has come out alright so far with a judicious bit of sanding here and there. 

So progress to date

RIMG1931x.thumb.jpg.1cd27a41721cabbaeebbaecc6055c23f.jpg

RIMG1932x.thumb.jpg.b3f6ca3b602640d26ff56f0185e1d127.jpg

RIMG1933zx.thumb.jpg.9d366c134e9d972bad0ae4b6d1e26d0d.jpg

RIMG1935x.thumb.jpg.9819ef798ccbbcdcb26e543df512bc29.jpg
RIMG1936x.thumb.jpg.565e6e5781c709a9bd3545c26c14744f.jpg

This is the total reserve of blocks - I am not sure whether I am going to make it - its going to be close. There are still several double walls to complete and those long structures at the top of the last photo are going to use a lot of blocks

RIMG1937x.thumb.jpg.92eb5cbebde756452c2fe8329154c701.jpg

I risked $25 on Amazon for this micro engraving tool with a bunch of bits thinking it might be good for getting into all the areas difficult to reach to clean them up. Opening out the windows might also be easy with it. I think a delicate touch will be needed. It looks  nice little tool. USB chargeable so very handy. Its even got stencils of teddy bears

RIMG1938x.thumb.jpg.742d26552050269338f85bd432f58873.jpg

It comes with a micro saw blade; I'm wondering if that could be used to saw up blocks cleanly enough to solve the crenellation issue. Regardless there are hours of serious clean up needed once the structures are completed.

Many thanks for looking in and all the likes and comments

Alan

RIMG1927x.jpg

30 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Most of the floors or courtyards seem to be a gravel surface and Aedes Ars gives you a tiny bag of white ground material which is nowhere near enough to do anything useful with. I could mix it with some ground block material but it would have to be mostly block dust to cover the ground so I think its off to see what Woodland Scenic and others have to offer. Thanks for the help

Alan

Good  to  know  and  glad  to be  of help  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Excellent work   going on there  Alan,    its  so looking  the  part  now,   I think you will  find  that  new tool  really  useful  on oyur stone  works.

Keep  up the  Great work mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:44 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work   going on there  Alan,    its  so looking  the  part  now,   I think you will  find  that  new tool  really  useful  on oyur stone  works.

Keep  up the  Great work mate.

OC.

Thank you OC for the encouragement. Its starting to feel like I'm in the last days of block work. That little engraving tool is great. It can get into some places I was really struggling with. Its not very powerful but that's a good thing for this application. I don't want to grind excessive amounts off the stonework

Alan

On 9/16/2023 at 4:33 AM, AJohnson said:

Looking good Alan, hope you don’t run out of blocks, can you get extra ones from anywhere?  

Thanks Andrew. I have seen some packs of extra blocks on Amazon at a pretty fierce price. I will try a begging email to Aedes Ars first and see how good their customer service is. I'm hoping I might squeak though.

Alan

Progress has continued through the week with most of the upper structures completed. Its beginning to feel like the last lap.

RIMG1939x.thumb.JPG.ab90a73dce526c03e20a68231a470eb7.JPG

I came across another Aedes Ars discontinuity. The arched gateway in the lower right is too close to the wall of the structure and is partially blocked by the wall. The guide is of no help. I checked the templates and everything is where its supposed to be. My solution is to chamfer the wall as it meets the arch and fair it into the archway. 

RIMG1941x.thumb.jpg.3191e69f9c4a2a2b245c9cf97e050d5f.jpg

I'll round it off a little and I think it will look acceptable. The windows still need to be opened out too and cleaned up a little

RIMG1940x.thumb.jpg.db3f5e84f4dd6c440385595fb77b8e4e.jpg

I'm working on the last bits of structure now

RIMG1943x.thumb.jpg.60044e9388cc10d0860b74c488950aa7.jpg

The remaining blocks are diminishing but I'm hopeful I might just make it

RIMG1942x.thumb.jpg.3f9b25cb86543d5255c2a5e29d64fe53.jpg

The last challenge will be the last tower and the roofs on the adjacent buildings

RIMG1944x.thumb.jpg.c00472fc6928411ed9006cb1d210b92b.jpg

There is going to be some very intricate block and tile work here and I think there is going to be some potential for light leakage. I ordered some black caulk to sit the roof templates on and I may add some cardboard to the templates to ensure there are no gaps.

Thanks for looking in and all the likes and helpful comments

Alan

Great work as  always   my friend  -  its  looking so impressive now, I know  builds  like  these  can sometimes  make us  pull  our hair  out  -  but  when things  start to work out  and  we  our  way through the  building mist  -  it so becomes  worth it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Great work as  always   my friend  -  its  looking so impressive now, I know  builds  like  these  can sometimes  make us  pull  our hair  out  -  but  when things  start to work out  and  we  our  way through the  building mist  -  it so becomes  worth it.

OC.

Thank you very much OC , these kits are tough proposition with so much repetitive work with the stone work. The result is a unique model and there is enough vagueness in the guide to provide plenty of challenges. It's going to be a while before I pick up another one though

Alan

I'm adding blocks in the last sections of open structure.  Just the last section with the arch and windows to complete. Then its onto the octagon tower and the roofs. the octagon tower is going to be challenging to build up. Lots of shapes to sand.

RIMG1945x.thumb.jpg.c960930ea3fa0a68216f3d92be18c1a1.jpg

I added the templates for the roofs sitting them on black caulk to try to eliminate any light bleed. That looks fairly successful although I got in the usual filthy mess when I use caulk. Doesn't matter whether its the kitchen sink or something more delicate; I manage to get it smeared everywhere. Luckily it doesn't seem to have got anywhere that will be visible once the roof tiles are in place.

RIMG1946x.thumb.jpg.3c57d5920390df33e67e68c19cd8cbb9.jpg

The stock of blocks is almost gone. I think I will make the open structure but I don't think there is enough to build the tower. I found my stash of spare blocks from previous Aedes Ars kits and I think I'm in good shape if I use them.

There may be a bit of a pause in the build now. Tomorrow I am off to New Bern NC for eye surgery. I'm hoping to be home on Sunday night but I don't know how long the recovery is going to take and the quality of eyesight while that's happening. If all goes to plan it could be a couple of weeks. 

Hopefully there are some long-term gains to be had.

Thanks for all the support, comments and likes

Alan

RIMG1947x.jpg

RIMG1948x.jpg

Looking Great Alan   - really taking shape now.

Hope all  goes well  with the  eye  procedure  and  you make a speedy  recovery.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good lock with the eye surgery, Alan.

The castle is looking good.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Loving the castle Alan.   I have my fingers crossed that all goes well with the surgery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 9/26/2023 at 6:16 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Looking Great Alan   - really taking shape now.

Hope all  goes well  with the  eye  procedure  and  you make a speedy  recovery.

OC.

Thank you very much OC. I got home at midnight last night. The procedure turned out to be a bigger deal than I expected but the doctor is pleased with the result. Lots of eye drops for the next two weeks and no driving but otherwise all good. Unfortunately my eyesight while healing is not going to be good enough for modelling and I am banned from anything dusty (eye infection risk) so the castle is stalled for a few weeks.

Alan

On 9/28/2023 at 8:11 AM, Canute said:

Good lock with the eye surgery, Alan.

The castle is looking good.

Thank you Ken

I went to New Bern NC for the surgery (an old stamping ground from my AV-8B days) and i made a great choice. The eye clinic and surgical centre was absolutely first rate and the staff were unbelievably friendly and kind (actually it seemed like everyone in New Bern was)

Alan

On 9/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, mtaylor said:

Loving the castle Alan.   I have my fingers crossed that all goes well with the surgery.

Thanks Mark

I'm looking forward to getting back into the castle once binocular vision returns

IMG_1301.thumb.jpg.ff90da17de063389905f064fb0c59e2c.jpg

In the meantime I have this terrible thirst for rum

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

Thank you very much OC. I got home at midnight last night. The procedure turned out to be a bigger deal than I expected but the doctor is pleased with the result. Lots of eye drops for the next two weeks and no driving but otherwise all good. Unfortunately my eyesight while healing is not going to be good enough for modelling and I am banned from anything dusty (eye infection risk) so the castle is stalled for a few weeks.

Alan

Glad it all went well  mate,  no worries  with your  build  we are  all  here   and  not going anywhere  -  look after yourself  and  heal.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Your castle looks fine. I hope it is going fine with your eye, I went through that myself few years ago and all went fine. Of course, I need to wear glasses when I work at close distance, but I don't consider that a big problem, at my age (66) I would have needed reading glasses anyway.

Get better,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart