Loarre Castle (Spain) by King Derelict - Aedes Ars 1/200

Scenery is definitely an art. We have a few guys here who can dazzle with it.

Our ice storm never happened, but we did get 4 inches of rain yesterday. And some passing thunderstorms. The pasture across the road from me was a lake and washed out some of the farm driveway that cuts thru it. The French Beoad by me is usally75-100' wide. Today it's a half a mile wide.😨 Luckily not a lot of wind damage; the wind can blow the pine-trees over and spray stray branches around.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

We got 12 inches of snow last Sunday, followed by 2-3 inches of rain last night with 45-60 mph wind gusts and 50 F temperatures, lots of stream flooding. Another one coming the weekend

That sounds thoroughly nasty Jack. A recipe for a lot of flooding. I hope you are staying safe, dry and warm 

alan

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Scenery is definitely an art. We have a few guys here who can dazzle with it.

Our ice storm never happened, but we did get 4 inches of rain yesterday. And some passing thunderstorms. The pasture across the road from me was a lake and washed out some of the farm driveway that cuts thru it. The French Beoad by me is usally75-100' wide. Today it's a half a mile wide.😨 Luckily not a lot of wind damage; the wind can blow the pine-trees over and spray stray branches around.

Thankfully the severe thunderstorm here never materialized and the tornadoes avoided us. Just torrential rain for a while.

alan

I suspect there's more rain in store for everyone east of the Pacific coast.  We've had and aref still having snow in the moiuntians around us and heavy rains ever day for the last couple of weeks and it's supposed to continue.  Stay safe, everyone.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, we have precip forecast here for Monday. Snow in the higher elevations of the Smokies, rain around here in Hooterville. We can us the rain, but too much just runs off and only makes a partial dent in the drought.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

The landscaping continues. The lay up of kitchen towels soaked in diluted white glue was completed but the pattern of the towels was too visible so I added a layer of toilet paper which also had the advantage that it could be moved around with the brush to create undulations and contours in the basic shapes. Once dry I gave it a coat of gesso to give it a good surface for adding plaster or paint.

I had made a series of rock face formations using plaster of Paris and crumpled kitchen foil which turned out quite nicely. I have started building up teh cliff faces with them. I am using Sculptamold to stick them to the formers and also to fill in and blend the pieces. \

RIMG2020.thumb.JPG.cb478577eb02666b8976d47ba4c86ab2.JPGRIMG2021.thumb.JPG.5e4c0ae421398a7ae71cb6ace494d75e.JPGRIMG2022.thumb.JPG.a3985f004d4a0335d027c6be4966a17d.JPGRIMG2023.thumb.JPG.4569fb38352ebe97d3dd03515ff7850c.JPG

The cheap artists palette knives are working really well. I'm glad I bought them

RIMG2024.thumb.JPG.45020512971103a0dd44fd15a57e5e6a.JPG

I had originally planned to do the grass effects and then add the boulders to the hillsides but I think that is going to look a bit artificial and the boulders will look too separate so I will add them as part of this current activity. I will try to mask them while the grass is being added. Another shipment of Woodlands Scenics is expected shortly

I'm also trying to decide on the base colour for the areas beyond the cliffs. I plan to use yellow grass and thinking a light grey base might work better than tan or brown.  Darker green bushes will also be added and the limestone rocks will rise out of the grass

Thanks for looking in, all the likes and comments. Its starting to feel like I'm actually achieving something.

Alan

That is really  starting to take  shape   -  that  scenery  is  looking the part  - excellent work  Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is really  starting to take  shape   -  that  scenery  is  looking the part  - excellent work  Alan.

OC.

Thank you very much OC. This feels like the fun bit after all the brick work. I'm still a bit nervous about it though

Alan

I finished adding the rock faces and blending them into the landscape with the Scupltamold. I have to work with small batches because the setting time is very short; I only seem to get about ten minutes before it becomes too difficult to work.

I added the spur and the rock plug that are featured in the drone video. The rock plug is a bit too close to the end of the wall but I don't have any more depth on the baseboard. Cliff effects were added to this too. Finally rocks were added to the slopes and the edge of the pathway roughly in line with the real landscape.

This will be left to dry for a day. Work calls tomorrow and the Woodland Scenic parcel should arrive then too.

RIMG2025.thumb.JPG.e3a4de71666571ad13fb8d2944590c25.JPG

RIMG2026.thumb.JPG.e188ef0f0ed9d3b367d3eb2411b64d71.JPG

RIMG2027.thumb.JPG.da32ec18ab1491aed12952950f25ab52.JPG

RIMG2029.thumb.JPG.e45e6cbf12b8b5093fbfcf25566f6312.JPG

I think the next task will be to add the grass. I have the Woodland Scenics fine yellow grass for the majority of the landscape with some green added in shady areas.

This will be a new experience for me. I have used the material on small areas and brushed adhesive on to the base. This time I'm thinking about using a spray bottle loaded with what seems to be commonly called "scenic glue". Woodland Scenics make their own but I have also read that the same adhesive can be arrived at by diluting white glue with four parts water or four parts alcohol (isopropyl variety rather than the maple bourbon). Does anyone have any experiences or preferences with these varieties. It also seems that once applied the grass should be sprayed with the scenic glue to bed it down. The alcohol based variant is claimed to have better wetting and penetrating power. Some tests are going to be necessary. 

I am going to need to be fairly careful with these next steps. I don't think I dare invert the model to get rid of excess loose turf. It would use this years and next years allowance of bad language if the towers parted company with the base

Thank you all fotr looking in and all the comments

Alan

46 minutes ago, king derelict said:

diluting white glue with four parts water

Yes ! Add a few drops of Dawn dish detergent (or equivalent brand) as a wetting agent, a spray bottle works. 

46 minutes ago, king derelict said:

It also seems that once applied the grass should be sprayed with the scenic glue to bed it down.

Yes also.   Go slow ! Don't over wet an area and keep to small areas at a time.

I have never use alcohol so can't comment on that aspect.

Looking good so far. 

Edited by Jack12477

Looking excellent  Alan,    I use   this  one  that  pre  mixed  in the  rattle  can,   they say  you can spray  over the  top  of the  grass  thats  already  fixed down  using the  same  spray,   to add  more  depth  of grass  in areas,  its supposed  to  dry  flat   without  leaving any sheen.

OC.

spray.jpg

spray 2.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Yes ! Add a few drops of Dawn dish detergent (or equivalent brand) as a wetting agent, a spray bottle works. 

Looking good so far. 

Looks great so far!!!  Jack's got it right... the most common way, and from the layouts I've seen the best way....

It's the way I would do it Brother if I was that ambitious...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

20 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Looking good so far. 

Thank you very much Jack.

I'll stick with water as the diluting agent and the dish soap is a good tip too.

Hopefully I will get started in the next few days.

Alan

19 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking excellent  Alan,    I use   this  one  that  pre  mixed  in the  rattle  can,   they say  you can spray  over the  top  of the  grass  thats  already  fixed down  using the  same  spray,   to add  more  depth  of grass  in areas,  its supposed  to  dry  flat   without  leaving any sheen

Thanks OC. I'm a bit concerned about getting a shine from the glue. I will experiment with the diluted white glue but the spray can may be another option

Thanks again

Alan

17 hours ago, Egilman said:

Looks great so far!!!  Jack's got it right... the most common way, and from the layouts I've seen the best way....

It's the way I would do it Brother if I was that ambitious...

Thank you very much EG.

I'll be using your (and Jacks) suggestions

Alan

A day of experimentation. I came back from the dentist to find a package from Woodland Scenics so I think I have everything I need to add grass, bushes and trees. \

I want to pint the cliffs first and get a grey wash on the ground before starting the turf so I used a handful of surplus plaster rocks to experiment using craft acrylic paints.

I've learnt that very weak washes work best with maybe a darker wash in the crevices. I added a light touch of beige and yellow for mineralisation in the rock and ended up with results as below.

RIMG2031.thumb.JPG.c085a8fd6c3543dbc1741def27aae98e.JPG

Bottom right is an early effort and is horrible. Too much pigmentation. The two on the left are I think a reasonable attempt at limestone. I welcome thoughts on changes 

Many thanks for the advice, comments and likes

Alan

6 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thanks OC. I'm a bit concerned about getting a shine from the glue. I will experiment with the diluted white glue but the spray can may be another option

Thanks again

Alan

Another option, if you can get it, is acrylic matte medium:

IMG_5470.thumb.jpeg.e963919be551af048c9848cbe951e6cc.jpeg

The stuff I have comes from Scenic Express, it can be used as is, or diluted, and as advertised, dries to a matte finish. (You can kinda read the instructions on the bottle in the above photo).

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

Thanks again

Alan

No  problem  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, king derelict said:

A day of experimentation. I came back from the dentist to find a package from Woodland Scenics so I think I have everything I need to add grass, bushes and trees. \

I want to pint the cliffs first and get a grey wash on the ground before starting the turf so I used a handful of surplus plaster rocks to experiment using craft acrylic paints.

I've learnt that very weak washes work best with maybe a darker wash in the crevices. I added a light touch of beige and yellow for mineralisation in the rock and ended up with results as below.

RIMG2031.thumb.JPG.c085a8fd6c3543dbc1741def27aae98e.JPG

Bottom right is an early effort and is horrible. Too much pigmentation. The two on the left are I think a reasonable attempt at limestone. I welcome thoughts on changes 

Many thanks for the advice, comments and likes

Alan

At first glance they all look like stones to me Alan, even the dark one. 👍

In isolation yes you can zoom in on “imperfections”, but once embedded in a diorama, then 99% of people will let their eyes move around the scene (the 1% is of course you, I think we all do that to our own work). 
I think this is going to look spectacular as it comes together. 😃

10 hours ago, AJohnson said:

At first glance they all look like stones to me Alan, even the dark one. 👍

In isolation yes you can zoom in on “imperfections”, but once embedded in a diorama, then 99% of people will let their eyes move around the scene (the 1% is of course you, I think we all do that to our own work). 
I think this is going to look spectacular as it comes together. 😃

Thank you for the kid comments Andrew

I think the colour scheme will work for the model as a whole. I plan to aim for something like the lighter stones. I can always add a darker wash later if it looks necessary. I have a whole wilderness of grasses, brambles, bushes and creepers to throw at an imperfections. From the drone video there is quite a lot of growth on the rock faces and there is a wood around one side. I'm hope 70 tree armatures will cover that.

Alan

Excellent techniques, Alan. 👍 The only thing I could add is to make sure there is no white showing after the grass and weeds are down. Our scenery gurus down at the club use these same techniques for the scenery.

Ken

On 1/17/2024 at 5:22 PM, CDW said:

It's like you're painting a portrait, Alan. Really enjoying watching your progress.

Thank you Craig. This bit is really fun too. I watched a bunch of (mostly railway enthusiasts) landscaping and its a whole new world. Some fantastic stuff and as usual another big rabbit hole to go down.

Alan

10 hours ago, Canute said:

Excellent techniques, Alan. 👍 The only thing I could add is to make sure there is no white showing after the grass and weeds are down. Our scenery gurus down at the club use these same techniques for the scenery.

Thank you Ken

I'm thinking of painting the whole area to be grassed prior to adding the grass in case I get any thin areas. I'm trying to decide between a very light grey (to compliment teh rocks) or a khaki / beige (or even a grey warmed up with a bit of beige)

Thanks for the help

Alan

Work intruded so I had less time than I wanted to move on with the landscape. I was pleased with the results of the experiments on the plaster rock faces so I mixed up some large jars of light grey and dark grey washes and worked on the rocks and cliff faces. I was a bit restrained with the brown accents, only added a very small amount of the beige and then washing it into the greys. 

Tomorrow I will add a base colour to the areas to be grassed. I am still think of what to use for the ramp and path. The kit shows using broken tiles embedded in plaster but that's not how the real thing looks. It looks more like gravel and I also need to add a few shallow steps. I have some gravel like material which I may add to the Mig terrain material and see how that works out. Figures will need to be added before then.

RIMG2034.thumb.JPG.487b465c19d9146e48d919da13defd27.JPG

RIMG2035.thumb.JPG.8e4e7e32a4eb08325febf3af3a4f0d36.JPG

RIMG2036.thumb.JPG.24492ba4bb313607c5c4c9930307af69.JPG

I think that I will need a case to display this safely so I need to finalise the lighting lead out and order the acrylic sheets. This is going to be a heavy piece of work.

Thank you all for looking in, the encouragement and helpful comments and likes

Alan