Hawker Typhoon Mk 1b by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

Thanks for all the likes and kind comments!

One small update for today, I have finished painting the landing gear doors. IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.5997ec1f489dd8e4d1ef2d9cd313fbf5.JPG

Once again, I strayed away from using the supplied decals on the main doors and painted them on as I did for the fuselage stripes. Apparently the ground crew of the kit supplied scheme made a small error when they applied the invasion stripes (see if you can guess what it is 🤔):

IMG_2347.thumb.JPG.3c615ac77e4973a54af15273133e106c.JPG

I've also installed the engine exhaust pipes. They were painted with Humbrol gunmetal followed by a wash of Floquil rust to give a nice burnt metal look.

IMG_2349.thumb.JPG.1a3c9c259d2b57c60c3129ff60842c60.JPG

This gets me just about as far as I can go. My usual next step is to paint and attach the landing gear, followed by the last little parts like the arial, pitot tube, etc (any items that would be at risk of damage should an accidental belly landing occur). Until my replacement parts arrive (which I'm really not expecting until the end of this week at the very earliest), I will have to be content to sit and wait. Oh Well....

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Gotta love painting three different colors on small parts 😁

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks, everyone, for all your patience! I received a small package in the mail today, and I’m pleased to report that my replacement parts have arrived safely!! I can now resume my build and see it to completion! 

Overall I am pleased with Airfix’s response. I would suggest that anyone else with kit issues shouldn’t hesitate to contact them, just be patient. 

On with the build!! 😁

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

16 minutes ago, CDW said:

You are an inspiration Andy. Your work is beautiful.

Amen!!!!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Wow, thanks guys! I’m really flattered you all feel that way. I haven’t wasted any time, so I’ll have a full update tomorrow, I hope.

@AJohnson Dusting is always good! You can pass it off as doing housework! 😆

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

As promised, a more thorough update. 

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.f71c5beaf3a15c79f3d510491ce6ddd2.JPG

The replacement landing gear legs arrived unbroken and properly moulded (no short shots), and very well packaged (Thanks Airfix!). I quickly had them cleaned up and painted. Following which all of the underbody components could be added

IMG_2354.thumb.JPG.198a0519294c005a990c886259125c97.JPG

The landing gear is a little spindlier than on other models as there are no bracing struts, and, coupled with those massive wheels and tires, care must be taken not to inadvertently snap anything. I would have liked if the landing gear doors actually glued to the underside of the wing (it would have added a modicum of support), but by design there's a tiny sliver of a gap, so unfortunately not.

IMG_2356.thumb.JPG.fccd1276b9f6f9bd983bb676332dfb86.JPG

All that remains to be done is to add a sealer coat of Dullcote and add the propellor and canopy (open, this time, to see the cockpit). The end is drawing near on this build, but I am planning to add a decent amount of weathering. Even though this is the Wing Commander's airplane, I'm sure in the hot and hectic summer of 1944, cleanliness took somewhat of a backseat to the operational requirements of the moment. Some photo's I've seen of regular squadron assigned airplanes look like they've been royally run through the wringer.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

if they we deployed to northern France, I'd bet they were getting ratty.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

29 minutes ago, Canute said:

if they we deployed to northern France, I'd bet they were getting ratty.

This propaganda photo was taken in Holland later in the war. Things didn’t get any better:

IMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.522b07dabb8d31efa4f2ed86ee183848.jpeg

Looks like the seals on the landing gear door hydraulics are leaking. I’d swear that is rust on the wing lower leading edge, but it could just be the mud on the upper surface dripping down. There appears to be brake shoe residue on the inside of the starboard wheel bay door, and the lettering on the fuselage side looks yellowed, and thoroughly grime covered. Paint chipping and wearing off all over… 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

19 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

This propaganda photo was taken in Holland later in the war. Things didn’t get any better:

IMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.522b07dabb8d31efa4f2ed86ee183848.jpeg

Looks like the seals on the landing gear door hydraulics are leaking. I’d swear that is rust on the wing lower leading edge, but it could just be the mud on the upper surface dripping down. There appears to be brake shoe residue on the inside of the starboard wheel bay door, and the lettering on the fuselage side looks yellowed, and thoroughly grime covered. Paint chipping and wearing off all over… 

Andy

On the plus side two of the armourers are wearing red lipstick 💄 so supplies can’t have been too bad! (for the important stuff) 😉

Edited by AJohnson

16 minutes ago, CDW said:

I would hate to be on the receiving end of those projectiles. They must have ripped through ground targets like mad. 

Yep, I’d nope right the heck out of that Kubelwagen with maximum quickness….

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

Yep, I’d nope right the heck out of that Kubelwagen with maximum quickness….

Most German armor as well.... (which is what the crews regularly did when there were Typhoons or Tempests in the air) those 20mm rounds into the 20mm deck armor on a Pz IV was like putting an ice pick through paper....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

A nice blend of armor piercing and high explosive incendiary. Make shredded wheat out of the German armor.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

7 hours ago, CDW said:

Can anybody say: Hans-Ulrich Udel? Talk about a ground target smasher, this was THE man. Over 500 tanks destroyed, ships including a battleship, a cruiser, dozens upon dozens of artillery emplacements and untold numbers of softskin vehicles. He was even credited with shooting down nine aircraft.

Yep, in 1941 he flew the D-5 variant which was armed with a pair of wing mounted 20mm cannon, after 1943, he flew the "G" variant, the tank buster with 37mm gun pods firing HV tungsten cored armor piercing rounds designed specifically to destroy the KV-1 and T-34.... in '45 he flew the FW-190F ground attack variant... With those kind of weapons destroying tanks was easy...

A side note, when Republic was designing the A-10, Rudel was brought in as a consultant (despite his neo-nazi background) as to what ground attack pilots wanted in their aircraft... His recommendations were strongly followed as was his insistence on a 30mm cannon firing the heaviest round possible as the best weapon for dealing with tanks on the battlefield....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

22 minutes ago, Egilman said:

A side note, when Republic was designing the A-10, Udel was brought in as a consultant (despite his neo-nazi background) 

Paperclip

A guy I knew was guard at a prisoner of war camp here in the USA during WW2. He told of the special prisoners kept here back then. 

Edited by CDW

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Paperclip

Nope, not for Rudel....

Transferred to a German hospital Rudel obtained his release in 1946.

He spent his postwar years in Argentina along with all the other nazis providing german technology to the various dictators down there... (and helping keep the likes of Dr Mengle in hiding) He eventually became the German representative for Siemens in South America... In 1950 he emigrated back to West Germany and divorced his wife and got remarried... As a representative of Siemens he helped build the Argentine Air Force into the most powerful in south america working closely with the (very nasty) dictator Juan Peron....

It was as a representative of Siemens that he was called in to consult given his clear experience in close support flying....

Back then they didn't care from whom they got their data and advice from.... Would never happen today....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

Nope, not for Rudel...

Didn't mean to infer it was. Simply that the old saying, to the victor go the spoils of war, is now, was then and will ever be true. Look back at history as far back as we know...the artisans, experts, and "scientists" have always been kept as spoils of war. ordinary men and women are expendable. That's the cold hard truth. There is no reason whatsoever for me to believe it would be any different today. 

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

ordinary men and women are expendable. That's the cold hard truth. There is no reason whatsoever for me to believe it would be any different today. 

Absolute truth brother... 

Today they would bring them in in secret.....

Quote:

Getting near the end. Final assembly consisted of adding the canopy and propellor. The fit for the latter is quite snug and shouldn't require glueing. All the better to ensure the propellor spins freely. The canopy was posed in the open position, but prior to glueing I dry brushed some silver/aluminium along the top edges of the cockpit, to represent chipped/worn paint in the area where the canopy (and clothing, and hands) would rub. It's hard to see at this scale, but at the right angle, there's a satisfying glint of shiny "metal". I've also lightly dry brushed some silver on the leading edge of the prop, I may have to add a touch more.

IMG_2363.thumb.JPG.3d49617edc874feef39aba5bf0246c30.JPG

IMG_2364.thumb.JPG.44c812ef2be57fa3dd75a158a13f4380.JPG

I have since begun weathering using a variety of pastels from Pan Pastel. They're easy enough to use, and if you have a clean applicator, you can "erase" any mistakes. So far I've added soot and other streaks around various likely areas such as the exhaust and radiator outlets, as well as around the gun bays and ejector ports (although one port is hidden in a black stripe). I have a little bit left to do, I'm planning to add a decent bit of "fade" on the wings' leading edges to simulate the effects of dust and grit (and greasy hands and boots).

IMG_2366.thumb.JPG.dc0edcdd199f0cb7aa6a27814e1323a8.JPG

IMG_2367.thumb.JPG.45b195bafd70c66a2babfff0992f1b78.JPG

My goal is to make this plane look like it's been working hard, but not too crazy grimy, (like the plane in the photo I posted yesterday). This is, after all, the Wing Commander's personal plane. One does have to keep up some kind of an appearance.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, the canopy rails and seat edges will be shiny from the boots, hands and tools rubbed on them. So's the floor, but it'll be harder to see. That's just normal wear and tear. Your Tiffie has turned out nicely.

Ken

Looks real nice Andy, but then I had no doubt it would😁😇

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks everyone for following me on this build, as well as all your kind comments, intriguing insights, and generosity. I think its time to call this one finished.

IMG_2369.thumb.JPG.54f3e6f366bc764d880c4b219d0bf678.JPG

A little bit more weathering has been added to the leading edges of the wings, especially in way of the propellor, where the prop wash would kick up sand and grit. I've also dusted some more grime along the propellor blades.

IMG_2370.thumb.JPG.8d4e2dda748b69f7c6a3ab6274eea40d.JPG

The leading edge fade came out nicely on the underside (I think). 

IMG_2373.thumb.JPG.cd3c62222e71fcdbbda20e68ed6e17a9.JPG

Finally, a little head to head with the Typhoon's predecessor.

IMG_2374.thumb.JPG.9b3e7ad9ebf3570765610a9b419ebe80.JPG

I have a couple more WWII planes that have found their way into my stash. I'm not sure if I will get to them this building season, or whether they will turn up in the fall. The weather is beginning to warm up and there's a ton of outdoor work that has been left to pile up while I've been recovering from my collarbone injury back in January.

In no particular order, I managed to get a Spitfire Mk Vc, about which there was some discussion about replicating one of George Beurling's planes from Malta:

IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.f54ecc97fc21e332697795fa6397fea1.JPG

I've read mixed reviews about this particular kit, mostly surrounding some potential issues with the fit, particularly there is the potential for some considerable gaps at the wing root area. From what I've seen in various assembly videos it's not an insurmountable challenge to overcome with a little modelling skill and ingenuity.

I've also picked up a Beaufighter TF X:

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.cd870fa935255b17425e17d12426fdb3.JPG

This one comes out-of-the-box with RCAF 404 Squadron markings. Since I didn't get to do a rocket firing Typhoon, this will be a good substitute.

Again, in which order I attack these builds is up for consideration. I need to look at aftermarket decals for the Spitfire, as the kit supplied lettering doesn't contain any of the letters I would need for any of Beurling's more well known planes (BR323 "S", BR301 "UF S", EP706 "T L"), I know Xtradecal does make a "Spitfire MkV" set which does include lettering for BR323, I may piece this one out of some of their generic lettering sets to keep options open.

For the Beaufighter, I've already purchased a replacement instrument panel (that came along with the panel for the Tiffie), but otherwise there's not much  to do with that kit other than build and paint. 

All in all, I've enjoyed building these little 1/72 Airfix kits. While they don't necessarily have the most detail, or a large part count, they don't take an inordinate amount of time to build and paint, but they do allow the builder to reach that "done" stage in a satisfying amount of time (which really only serves to further the model building addiction, but in a good way).

Once again, thanks to all who have been following along, offering such kind compliments, and contributing with your knowledge and ideas. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice result Andy. Neat build, I like the way you have weathered the propeller.

I built some time ago the Beaufighter and I find it a nice kit. A weak point to pay attention to is the assembly of the landing gear.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

Finally, a little head to head with the Typhoon's predecessor.

Beautiful work my friend, your getting that 1/72 scale stuff down....

Well Done...

Quote:

20 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Beautiful work my friend, your getting that 1/72 scale stuff down....

Well Done...

Thanks EG! My railroad modelling is in 1/87, so this 1/72 stuff is not too bad 😁

26 minutes ago, Danstream said:

Nice result Andy. Neat build, I like the way you have weathered the propeller.

I built some time ago the Beaufighter and I find it a nice kit. A weak point to pay attention to is the assembly of the landing gear.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan! I’ve read through Beaufighter the instructions, I see exactly what you mean. Almost looks like if you were to look at it the wrong way it would crash like a house of cards. Might have to embed some brass wire between the more critical parts to keep things secure.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy