Mk.IV Male British WW1 Tank by Haliburton - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/35 Scale

Hi everyone, my first foray into tank modelling with this product from Tamiya.  It is advertised as being motorized which wasn’t high on my priority list but having said that it could add a new dynamic to something that is normally a static model. WW1 has a special interest as my grandfather enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force at 18 as part of the 71st Battery. His job was hauling munitions by horse drawn wagon to the frontline to feed the artillery. I can only imagine the horrible things he experienced and saw and although he passed away when I was just a toddler I’m told he never would talk to family about those days.   Perhaps he saw one of these tanks during his time in France. 

Introduced in 1917 these tanks had a male version and a female version. According to Wikipedia the male version had 4 machine guns and 2 six pound guns whereas the female version had only the machine guns.  420 male tanks were built.   The Germans captured a number of these tanks and put them into service. 

I’ve no idea how long this build will take me as it is a bit of a side project but ever project as a beginning so here we go!

Scott

8BDD1310-3C53-4796-92ED-BEA34139A058.jpeg

B37EC101-4DF5-441C-BDD6-458BBFD48258.jpeg

4482FE1D-FFF4-4C25-829A-53EA133F7C1E.jpeg

6B9540D8-CDD1-46D2-B3F6-435C78399F87.jpeg

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

That is a decent Kit, +motorized? {chuckle}

Anyway I'll be lounging around the log, any question feel free to ask... (there are several of us tank nuts hanging around)....

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you for the comments and likes!  A small start with the fuel tank box and gearbox.  Yes RGL I’ve started exploring what it out there and you’re right there is some interesting stuff.  I’ve actually ordered two other items which I’ll preview here when they arrive.  

Scott

64B8F39B-A624-475C-8571-F426C70CC864.jpeg

Currently building:

Some work on the battery case (yep you guessed it - batteries not included lol) and screwing in motor and on-off switch. Test fit of one tank side.  ‘Tanks’ for looking in.  Scott

20870DCD-C797-40D3-B376-53CBE6C27D60.jpeg

3E580FBC-B5CF-46C4-BBC1-12C3C9F47948.jpeg

A1D44184-8A79-430C-B82F-731A0C405ED3.jpeg

Currently building:

Some additional progress showing the fuel tank box assembled and affixed and additional work on the hull. The upper hull is not intended to be glued to enable access to the gearbox.  After I try to operate it I will see how it performs. If I’m not impressed I will glue it as I think that will make painting and weathering easier.   Scott

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

Currently building:

Nothing like a weekend of rain to command time be spent in the workshop.  52 ground wheels assembled.   It should have taken half the time it did but I was distracted by netflix.   

Scott

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

Currently building:

Yes indeed CDW, another day of rain here in Ontario and another day trying to convince the dog to go out for his daily constitutional - he’s stubborn as a mule with rain but loves the snow.    On the plus side for me no guilt about having to do spring yard cleanup and instead some found time back at the modelling table.  I’ve attached gears and greased the road wheel shafts and attached them here. 

Scott

IMG_0561.jpeg

Currently building:

I can honestly say I’ve never made such progress in a single day. This rain has been a godsend. So armour plates added to one side. The middle plate is glued with the end pieces ‘sliding’ into place. Presumably this is to facilitate access to the moving treads.  Again, if the motorized element of this model fails to impress I will glue these into place down the road.  I have greased the road wheels on the other side as well. 

Scott 

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_0566.jpeg

Currently building:

I thought I would share a special photo of my grandfather I referenced in my first post who enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force and served with the 71st battery.  I believe this photograph was taken on his enlistment. My grandfather’s cousin was killed in action within a week after arriving at Passchendale. 

IMG_0541.jpeg

Currently building:

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, how did June get here so quickly?  The last few weekends I’ve been busy in the yard, edging, weeding, new soil, planting and adding several cubic yards of mulch. Also digging up roots to make way for a new walkway to a shed I’ve installed (not a hobby shed sigh….just a regular shed). I can’t complain because I do have a small man cave in the basement which is finished.  Some work here on the left sponson. 

Scott 

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

Currently building:

Hi everyone, some rain today provided another opportunity to defer yardwork and justify (or make me feel less guilty about) spending an hour in the workshop.  So finished the other sponson and made a small dent in the tracks - 87 pieces per side.  I’m starting to look at YouTube for some inspiration on how to paint and weather this beast as well. 

Scott 

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

Currently building:

Have a look at the "Night Shift" channel on Youtube.  ( @nightShiftScaleModels)

He built a diorama of a MkIV in a trench/crater that shows some really good detail and weathering techniques.

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’m pleased to report some additional progress. The tracks are largely assembled and been given their base coat. I’m going to keep them off the tank until I’ve finished painting the tank proper. The sponsons are now attached. Tamiya uses tabs so they are removable presumably to facilitate access to the battery mechanism. The exhaust and beam rails (in part)  are now installed. 

Scott

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

Currently building:

As a little bonus the Tamiya kit includes 5 British infantry.  I’ve never built and painted figures before.  I’ve seen and admired Old Collingwood’s napoleonics however and will draw my inspiration from his magnificent diorama.  Please keep your expectations here low as will I and none of us will be disappointed with the outcome!  🤣

Scott 

IMG_0593.jpeg

Currently building:

really interesting project.........looks well done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 6/24/2023 at 11:30 PM, Haliburton said:

As a little bonus the Tamiya kit includes 5 British infantry.  I’ve never built and painted figures before.  I’ve seen and admired Old Collingwood’s napoleonics however and will draw my inspiration from his magnificent diorama.  Please keep your expectations here low as will I and none of us will be disappointed with the outcome!  🤣

Scott 

IMG_0593.jpeg

Thank you for the  kind  compliment,  with  figures  the  key  is  washes  and  some  dry brushing  to bring out the  high lights.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

My attempt at weathering the tracks. I think I’m satisfied but I’m very much a newbie at weathering so no idea if this looks realistic. I figure once I have it on the tank I will add mud effects. 

Scott 

IMG_0599.jpeg

Currently building:

Ok folks the tracks are now installed and a little clip showing it moving.  I think the track tension may be too tight or it’s meeting resistance somewhere because it doesn’t like to stay moving without encouragement. 

Scott

Currently building:

Back in armor days, I found that ensuring the axles were "true" and then a bit of graphite or vaseline (petrolium jelly) did a lot to make things run smoothly.  Even still, it looks impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

NO VASELINE!!!! Petroleum Jelly will turn it into a plastic blob in a year...

Vegetable oil for lubricating Polystyrene.......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

17 hours ago, Egilman said:

NO VASELINE!!!! Petroleum Jelly will turn it into a plastic blob in a year...

Vegetable oil for lubricating Polystyrene.......

I guess I was being "old school"......  sorry.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I guess I was being "old school"......  sorry.

No need to apologize Mark, we all exchange ideas and it’s great to get feedback and input ~ that’s how we learn and improve together!

Scott

Currently building: