1948 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery by CDW - FINISHED - Galaxie Limited - 1:25 Scale

CDW

If I squint a bit, it looks like a tow vehicle for a '60s drag car to me.  Got a trailer?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Post WW2 Chevy model cars were few and far between (maybe nonexistent?) before Galaxie Limited came out with the '46-'47-'48 Sedan Delivery, the Sedan, and the Coupe models in the late '90's. Besides these Chevys, the company out of Wisconsin also produced a series of single, double, and triple axel trailer models. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other kits they produced. The company disappeared almost as quickly as they came upon the scene. Their Chevy models are excellent IMO, and the same goes for the trailers. There are not a lot of quality plastic injection molded trailer kits out there so the Galaxie Limited kits filled that void very nicely. You can still acquire their kits on sites such as Ebay as well as swap meets but you will be lucky to find one at a hobby shop. I don't know a thing about who currently owns the molds or if there are any plans for these to become available again one day in the near future. For the quality of their products, I am surprised someone else hasn't already run another production line of them.

Here, I'll lay out photos of the instructions, decal sheet, and parts trees for you to see before I start taking the parts off the sprues. Very cleanly molded, nice, thin plastic with no flash. 

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

The 2 tones look better. I really like the low rider.😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Cars in the '50's really had style... gorgeous....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

8 hours ago, CDW said:

The Aztec color combination is interesting to me

Those are beautiful designs and paintwork. I guess it’s a different world now but somehow a Kia Rio doesn’t hold up against them. 
Looking forward to seeing this build Craig.

Alan

After the Christmas festivities ended, I was able to spend a little time today with a start on the stock engine. After taking a close look at the stock and custom pieces, decided to build the engine stock. I have other variations of the '48 Chevy, the Fleetline and Coupe versions, so will save the custom features for one of those at a future date. 

Still more work to do detailing the engine, will continue the process tomorrow.

DSCN3639.JPG

DSCN3640.JPG

Was going through some storage boxes and came across this Aston Martin DB5 I started building back in the early '90's. It was painted in enamel with some metallizer paints on select components. It was surprising to see how well the red enamel body paint held up over time, but the Bare Metal Foil used for the chrome trim shriveled up like a prune. I don't own another surviving model of this vintage that had the chrome foil treatment and wondered if any of you have had a similar experience with it over a long period of time?

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

I decided on a Gray-Green two-tone paint scheme for my '48 Chevy, which was one of the color combinations offered on the 1:1 car when it was new from the factory. My paints are semi-gloss and I may or may not use a gloss clear coat. Something about the semi-gloss is appealing to me for a car of this vintage. In case you're interested, I included a photo of the paint color jars I used.

DSCN3649.JPG

DSCN3650.JPG

DSCN3651.JPG

DSCN3652.JPG

That is a perfectly smooth finish! Mr. Color paints are among the best lacquer paints around, of course a skillful modeler is also necessary to get that result.

Curious to see what you will decide at the end.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

The 'peel and stick' chrome trim turned out to be the least desirable parts of this model, although the finished results came out very well, I think. The main problem with it is the metal it's made of. It's a type of metal that doesn't hold a curve/bend that might be needed, sort of like spring steel. The pieces are intended to stick on, but I needed to super glue all pieces to get them to hold. 

DSCN3677.JPG

Well, this is another one for the books. Finished.

It was a pleasure to build for the most part. I just wish the makers of it, Galaxie Limited, had stuck around a little longer and produced some other subjects in addition to this line of '46-'47-'48 Chevies. They did manufacture some very nice utility trailer kits. I have a tri-axle fifth wheel covered trailer in the 'to-do' pile. It's a one of a kind in plastic models as far as I know. You can still run across one for sale on Ebay every now and then.

Thanks for following along, your likes, comments, and companionship. See you again soon with something else. A huge pile of kits await.

DSCN3667.JPG

DSCN3668.JPG

DSCN3669.JPG

DSCN3670.JPG

DSCN3671.JPG

DSCN3672.JPG

DSCN3673.JPG

DSCN3674.JPG

DSCN3675.JPG

DSCN3676.JPG

Nice clean job on building this model.  Well done!

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

You know what's really weird? I owned a few cars of this vintage many years ago, and now when I build a model of one and look at it, that certain smell you got from the interior of these old cars becomes such a strong memory. It's like you're right there inside of it. I guess it was the fabrics they used for the upholstery that gave that memorable odor. I remember that smell all the way up through cars from the fifties, but the sixties and later cars didn't have it. As best I can recall, that certain "new car smell" didn't come along until the seventies. Plastics? I imagine so. 

Looking really nice Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1