Ferrari 288 GTO Yellow by CDW - Fujimi Enthusiast Series - 1:24 Scale

After looking over the photos of the 1:1 Ferrari engine bay, I will not go through the effort to install ignition wiring. All that detail will be buried and hidden from view, so in my opinion, it would be a long climb for a short slide.

Just one more thing I realized after studying photos of the 1:1 engine; the instructions show parts E6 and E5 installed in the wrong locations. They need to be flipped. See the 1:1 photo and then look at the intsructions. You'll see what I'm talking about. In a way, it really won't matter too much if you get it wrong as it will be buried from view in either event. I only discovered the error as I was looking at 1:1 photos to create ignition wiring. 

ignition wiring.jpg

There is a lot of hot air travelling through the engine compartment via tubes and turbos. I´ve never been a friend of turbo charged engines and their characteristics, but yours look fine to me. They are a nightmare to build, like I found with my Tamiya 1/12 F1 Renault lately. This and the exhausts were the worst parts of the build. It seems you are on a good way with your Ferrari. Thanks for reminding me on pink primer, I will soon test that.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

I have good news and bad news.

The bad news; this model is one of the most challenging, difficult assemblies to get together I've ever tried to build. It's enough to make a preacher cuss, as my dear old dad used to say when he was working on our old farm equipment. So, hold tight and be patient when you go to build yours, Gary.

The good news; I managed to get one side of the turbocharger assembly in place in a half-decent manner. Not perfect mind you, but decent. Without wasting too many words, I'll try to tell you what you need to expect when you get to this phase of construction.

If you look closely at the 1:1 photos of the engine bay I posted in an earlier reply, you'll notice that the breathers and injectors are slightly offset when you compare one side with the other. One side sits slightly forward of the set on the other side. The model replicates that offset. However, the model does not make any allowance for this offset when it comes to the turbocharger piping, which has to meet the breathers. I needed to cut off a mm or two from the air breather box shown in my next progress photos to make the piping match up to the opening in the breather. It's clearly an engineering oversight when the model was developed, but it can be corrected with some "field engineering" as I did here. Additionally, at one point I need three hands to apply a dab of accelerator to a super glue joint on the turbocharger piping while I held it in place so that it wrapped around the chassis bracing and down to the other half of the turbocharger extending from the headers. My granddaughter politely and adeptly provided the third hand to apply the accelerator. 

DSCN3951.JPG

DSCN3952.JPG

DSCN3953.JPG

At this stage of the game, it's time to begin test-fitting major components such as the body to chassis fit with the engine and tranny in place. I don't want to get a surprise with fit issues after it's too far along to make adjustments if necessary. While it's a very tight fit, as it should be, it's a precise fit and one I'm happy with at this time.

As you will see, it's going to be a very detail-rich model with all the features of the 1:1 car in clear view. That engine in its mid-ship configuration sees a lot of detail get buried, but the turbochargers and air breathers stand proud. That's one of the reasons I was being so careful trying to get those features lined up properly.

There's a lot more detail to add and now is the time for me to figure out whether those details should be installed with the chassis in place, or installed with the chassis separate outside the body. The instruction sequence shows the latter, but I don't trust it. With the tight fit being what it is, I'm concerned some of these details to come might interfere with fitting the chassis to the body...it's that tight getting it into position. 

DSCN3954.JPG

DSCN3955.JPG

DSCN3956.JPG

DSCN3957.JPG

DSCN3958.JPG

That is  looking so nice  Craig  -  love  your  car  builds.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

@gsdpic

Something I failed to mention: the instructions show an option to cut open the headlamp covers on the car body as the headlamps on this Ferrari are retractable. However, there are no further instructions to show the parts or part numbers for building out the headlamp buckets once the covers have been cut from the body. This presents no problem for me as I have no intention of building the model with the headlamps in the opened position as I prefer the clean lines of the closed position. There may or may not be parts on the parts trees for building out headlamp buckets, I am not certain. Just a heads-up so you won't get caught unaware.

The rear suspension and disk brakes are another area where you will want to take your time, be patient, and work the fit to get it right. It's a little fiddly to get all the parts in place at the same time, but that's what you'll need to do to get a good fit at the glue joints. On assemblies like this, I use the Model Master cement shown in the photos as it has a slower setup time, a precise applicator tube and allows superior control of the amount of cement and location of the same. Unfortunately, this particular product is no longer in production, and I am working on my last bottle of it here. In the future, I will go back to my old standby cement, Faller Expert. It can be found on Amazon if you're interested.

As an FYI, I painted the disk rotors and hubs with AK Super Chrome, the calipers with Tamiya titanium gold. The control arms, transaxles in satin black with rubber color boots. The shocks are red with black springs.

One of the fuel cells became the first casualty of removing the chassis from the tight fit inside the body. I've made a decision to assemble the remainder of the parts with the chassis outside the body as there is so little space to work the parts into position once the chassis is mounted inside the body. The fuel cell has been repaired. 🙂

DSCN3959.JPG

DSCN3960.JPG

DSCN3961.JPG

DSCN3962.JPG

I'm building out the remainder of the engine compartment. The kit provides most of the detail seen in the photograph but not all. The two dark gray boxes at the rear of the compartment are breathers for the turbochargers. These are included. The aluminum plate notated in the photo is also included, but strangely, the two rounded vertical plates are not included and need to be scratch built. Not a big deal to make a couple but just a note for your future interest if you build the model yourself.

Some of the smaller details seen in the photo but are not included in the kit, I'll need to decide whether I will or will not take time to add from scratch.

Publication1.jpg

That is some engine bay  -  but wheres  your  build  photos?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Alright OC...this is so you get your 'picture-fix' before going to bed tonight.

The gray breather boxes sit dry-fitted, the yellow piece also dry-fitted needs to be painted aluminum and need the scratch-built vertical wings on each side before being cemented in place. The four exhaust pipes can be seen exiting from the rear awaiting their aluminum exhaust tips.

Nighty-nite, sleep tite and talk at 'ya later.  

DSCN3966.JPG

DSCN3967.JPG

DSCN3968.JPG

Amazing work Craig  -  still  don't believe  that  photo  I  replied  to is  your model  -  looks  just like  the  real thing  - Amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Amazing work Craig  -  still  don't believe  that  photo  I  replied  to is  your model  -  looks  just like  the  real thing  - Amazing.

OC.

I hope you didn’t really think it was my model. Yes of course it’s a photo of the 1:1 car and annotated to show what details need to be scratch built for the model. It’s a red Ferrari. My model is yellow. You are kidding, right?

51 minutes ago, CDW said:

I hope you didn’t really think it was my model. Yes of course it’s a photo of the 1:1 car and annotated to show what details need to be scratch built for the model. It’s a red Ferrari. My model is yellow. You are kidding, right?

Put it down to tired ness  and  a  senior moment  also not looking properly,   your work is  so  good   that to be honest  its  not that far different from the  real thing,  just thought I was  being  clever  in a  nice way  my friend  -  don't you just hate it when a sense of humour  bites you  in the  .....

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

I too thought it was the model and had forgot about yours being yellow.   I need a new brain....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

I too thought it was the model and had forgot about yours being yellow.   I need a new brain....

Craigs fault  -  he builds  things to good  -  that  are to  real looking.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

Very true, OC.  I wish I was half that good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Very true, OC.  I wish I was half that good.

Me too, with  cars.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

You guys crack me up and thanks for the kind words. I guess we all are getting closer to “old”. I turned 70 today and don’t need to be reminded I am officially a senior citizen. Heck, even my fishing and hunting licenses are free now. The governor probably knows my eyesight and reflexes aren’t much a threat to wildlife anymore. 😀

Happy Birthday  Craig  :champagne-2::champagne:🎂

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Happy birthday, Craig.   big-cake.gif.1918878cdf14394c776d4525119b045d.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, CDW said:

....don’t need to be reminded I am officially a senior citizen

Well you made it, I on the other hand, have a few years to go before they start calling me an old fart....  (if I get that far)

Happy Birthday Brother.... (and yes, I as well would like to have just half your talent my friend)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Happy Birthday Craig

The cake makes it all worthwhile. 

I have two months to go so I'm practising. having senior moments. The Ferrari is excellent by the way. I think your yellow one looks more realistic than the red one

Alan

You’re too kind, Alan. Thanks!

My cousin who is 95 told me, “getting old is not for the weak”

I never had any bad days but now and then have a few sore ones. I’m having too much fun to accept reality at the moment. Or maybe it’s only as real as we believe it is.

Happy birthday Craig. 🎂

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

12 hours ago, Egilman said:

Well you made it, I on the other hand, have a few years to go before they start calling me an old fart....  (if I get that far)

Happy Birthday Brother.... (and yes, I as well would like to have just half your talent my friend)

5 hours ago, chadwijm6 said:

Happy birthday Craig. 🎂

Thank you very much. Talent is overrated. Good friends like all of you is priceless.

happy Birthday.
Is there any cake left?😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum