Ferrari 288 GTO Yellow by CDW - Fujimi Enthusiast Series - 1:24 Scale

Today, I fashioned those "wings" next to the breather boxes I talked about yesterday. I painted the cover with wings, silver as can be seen in the stock photos. Here's how it looks on the model.

DSCN3972.thumb.JPG.bb384f083b26a14d6e3e230c6366d981.JPGDSCN3973.thumb.JPG.99b4a536b05728675111341945723e77.JPG

Next, I consulted reference photos of the interior on the net. The kit instructions call for the seats to be painted in black with the center panels in red. This seems totally wrong to me with a yellow car. A yellow Ferrari with black and red seats is going to look ridiculous IMO. Unfortunately, I could not find reference photos of the interior in a red car, so I am going to guess they would be black with yellow center panels.

9518f516d93cd0688548aac485b205c3-1285395032.thumb.jpg.e9b71af9d303522821adbd5481b9befd.jpg

My intention is to use liquid mask to cover each little panel in the center, then paint the seats black before removing the masking to show the yellow. 

DSCN3974.thumb.JPG.391e5f6ca4d19c8ecb27044bb2eb63be.JPG

Last, I gave the entire body a good wet sanding before laying down another good wet coat of yellow lacquer.

DSCN3969.thumb.JPG.85e6677059ee9e21e4d0c8a7aee27624.JPGDSCN3970.thumb.JPG.f3772a664d40fe1c0db5fd05336a7469.JPGDSCN3971.thumb.JPG.55d34a61b571eedce15ce70e3fb71b0b.JPG

Happy Birthday Craig!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Seats  look  good  Craig  -  good   contrast  between the  Orange  and  Black.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice work. 

I just almost ordered a yellow one, with the red seats.

When I got to the  “pay now” page. my visa card refused  🤣

https://carconfigurator.ferrari.com/en_EN

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A belated Happy Birthday, brother. I suspect some of us are already suffering from TMB, Too Many Birthdays, with it's affects on memory. Did I wish you Happy Birthday?

Car is coming along beautifully; you've got that painting knack. Thanks for showing that. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

A little late, but nonetheless, happy birthday Craig, the cake looks fantastic, as does your Ferrari. The body finish seems to be very smooth and the seats are fitting, correct or not.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

The interior is almost finished while waiting for some details to dry before wrapping it all up. A while back, I found a vendor who sells a large fret of chrome Ferrari badges in various scales, self-adhesive-backed. These will come in handy on this as well as other Ferrari model builds in the future. I used the smallest prancing horse badge on the steering wheel. Almost too hard to see with the naked eye. At least with my naked eye/s. 🙂

The shoulder belts are done with masking tape cut into 3mm strips. My model gave no indication of lap belts on this model of Ferrari and I didn't notice any on interior photos found on the net.

DSCN3979.JPG

DSCN3980.JPG

DSCN3981.JPG

DSCN3982.JPG

DSCN3983.JPG

DSCN3984.JPG

Posted (edited)

Excellent work Craig  -  each stage  looking great.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 minute ago, gsdpic said:

Excellent work!  Interesting that it appears to have a compact spare tire.  I guess that is all they had room for.

The videos I've watched on this car indicate it was made for racing in a new class that never materialized. It's possible the spare tire was a requirement of the class, and it was made as light weight as possible just to satisfy the requirement. All up weight on the car was at or very near just 2500 pounds.

If you laugh at me for what I'm about to tell you/show you, I won't blame you one bit. I'm laughing at myself, just to keep from crying (in a metaphorical sense of course).

After owning this particular kit for close to 30 years, bought it second-hand, I'm only just now realizing I'm missing one front wheel and tire. 

Was it missing when I bought it? Did I lose it somewhere along the way since I bought it? I have no idea, but I do know that it is gone now. Hmmmm....what to do next.

I guess I'll start looking for a suitable replacement, or maybe an entire different set of wheels and tires? I'll just have to see what I can find and what's reasonable. 

I do know this kit has become more costly and difficult to find and it wouldn't make sense for me to buy an entire kit just to rob one tire and wheel. Sheesh. What a goofy lack of attention and consequence. Had I known this was missing, I would have never gone this far building and painting it.

Or then again, maybe just display it in the Fujimi garage, with it jacked up and one tire off for repair? That could be a potential, reasonable solution.

DSCN3993.JPG

Craig, that's a real puzzlement. I like your solution. Do you really want to chase down a set of wheels for this beauty?🙄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374822136270?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOorf3xqekXjD5_B7RKXN_RqiNC9KbTgbxv-Dtfu4BWM2oibY1p4M4oU

Best price available I can find....

The big dollars are aimed at the 1/16th scale version... You can still get the 1/24th scale at semi reasonable prices....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

20 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

You should use the spare located in the front trunk....

Yves

That would be a sight. 😅

8 minutes ago, Egilman said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374822136270?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOorf3xqekXjD5_B7RKXN_RqiNC9KbTgbxv-Dtfu4BWM2oibY1p4M4oU

Best price available I can find....

The big dollars are aimed at the 1/16th scale version... You can still get the 1/24th scale at semi reasonable prices....

It's tempting, but I'll pass for now. Too many other kits waiting to be built in my stash. Thanks for the research EG!

You might take a deep breath and dive into the stash and see if the tire was misplaced in another box.  But, the jack stand is a great idea.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

You might take a deep breath and dive into the stash and see if the tire was misplaced in another box.  But, the jack stand is a great idea.

In the past, I have seen a single, lonely tire and wheel combination lying around somewhere in my modeling areas (I have a large building and one smaller area in separate places) and I would not have thrown it away. But for now, I just cannot recall where I saw it. Eventually I will run across it again, but it may not have been this Ferrari item. Not going to sweat it, just roll with it. 🙂