Krupp 420mm Big Bertha by Haliburton - Takom - 1/35

Hi everyone, my interest in WW1 armour continues.  I’ve completed a Mark IV and Whippet tank and a 10/16 Morser and now continue with the infamous ‘Big Bertha’. A 43 ton monster which apparently they got its  nickname from the wife of Gustav Krupp who owned the Krupp arms works. With a range of 15km they were transported by rail and assembled in place and featured 820kg shells.  Nasty. 

I couldn’t find open source photos to share ~ Wikipedia has a photo of a model but that will soon appear here. If anyone has a photo they wish to share that is not subject to copyright please feel free to add it to the log. 

Scott 

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

You've got mail (soon)
A series of photos from this book.
feel free to post the photos yourself or not. 

20240219_153442.thumb.jpg.b2c1a2c1c2e016ee6457ff056ca74227.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Looks like a cool subject!  Looking forward to seeing this one come along.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I made a little bit of progress over the weekend - not because this is a mammoth project but more because the routines of life are impeding access to the workbench including but not limited to - a Costco expedition (why does our cart always end up full😳), helping my son with grade 9 science (meaning I need to take a refresher on the periodic table 😳).  Anyway some work on the platforms here.  Take care, Scott 

IMG_0746.jpeg

Currently building:

On 3/1/2024 at 1:14 PM, pennytimeline said:

Looks like quite the model, can't wait to see more of your build.

Thanks pennytimeline!  I’ve been working on various sub-assembles over the past few days. The Takom instructions aren’t awful but sometimes they are lacking in detail and I often jump ahead to see if the order of build should change to ensure the best outcome. Today the weather here is wet and cold so outdoor errands have been deferred to another time - meaning some extra time for me at the workbench!😀    Scott 

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

Currently building:

A bit more progress to report.  The scale of this monster is becoming more apparent as the structure grows around it.   In a future post I will add a photo that includes my Mark IV, Whippet and smaller calibre artillery for a sense of scale.   Scott

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

Currently building:

A photo of the interior of the Krupp factory in 1915.  You can see artillery barrels in production.  This was a huge facility and at that time apparently employed over 60,000.   Post WW1 Krupp made rail cars before moving back to military production in the lead up to WW2. During WW2 a decoy factory was set up about 10km away from the actual steelworks facility Essen to divert RAF bombing from the real factory. Apparently up until 1943 when the RAF identified the decoy factory, approximately 64 percent of all explosive bombs targeted the decoy.  The photo is from Wikipedia. 

IMG_0754.jpeg

Currently building:

Posted (edited)

Yes they officially made railcars, but in reality the factory was "sold" to Bofors, and they continued to make guns under the Bofors name until about 1934 when they finally bought themselves out of it and a year later bought Bofors itself...

Krupp was one of the most powerful industrialists in the world like Ford, Benz, Messerschmitt, Westinghouse, DuPont and several others... The normal rule of law doesn't apply to them...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Yes they officially made railcars, but in reality the factory was "sold" to Bofors, and they continued to make guns under the Bofors name until about 1934 when they finally bought themselves out of it and a year later bought Bofors itself...

Krupp was one of the most powerful industrialists in the world like Ford, Benz, Messerschmitt, Westinghouse, DuPont and several others... The normal rule of law doesn't apply to them...

Some years ago, been so long I forget the title, I read a thick book on the Krump empire.  It's beginnings to time of it was published.  A bit of an eyeoperer to say the least with all the industries and government areas they had their hands in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

A bit of an eyeopener to say the least with all the industries and government areas they had their hands in.

Yep, History is replete with them, all eras, all societies..... It's the reason for Ike's famous piece of advice to Jack before Jack's inauguration, "beware the military-industrial complex"..... Play ball or you don't survive...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

So the Krupp family records date back to 1587.  In more recent times when Fritz Krupp (who expanded the Krupp empire into the construction of warships and u-boats through the acquisition of Germaniaerft) died, his teenage daughter “Bertha” of “Big Bertha” fame, inherited the firm.  As Bertha was a woman, Kaiser Wilhelm II arranged for Bertha to marry a Prussian and through imperial proclamation he took the surname Krupp.  So to Egilman’s point, the ‘military industrial complex’ that was critical to the power of Germany was preserved through this arranged marriage. A photo of Bertha and her husband and of the Essen factory devastated in WW2 from Wikipedia.  

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

Currently building:

Parlez Français ?😇

Did a google search in French 

https://1914-18.be/2009/12/31/la-grosse-bertha-le-10-aout-1914/

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

13 hours ago, Baker said:

Parlez Français ?😇

Did a google search in French 

https://1914-18.be/2009/12/31/la-grosse-bertha-le-10-aout-1914/

Merci Paul!  (and with that I’ve used up about 10% of my French vocabulary!😆). That is a fantastic link and is going to come in very handy.   (Btw my French will improve as I’m trying to help my son with Grade 9 French …and science🙄)

Scott

Currently building:

Hi Ho203, I will use the airbrush generally and brushwork for details and accents. The base is not glued nor the wheels the main catwalk is glued at a hinge point for structure/stability/fit but can be manipulated. Scott

Currently building:

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive ...

image.thumb.png.665e5e530407e55b07f7fa81cad76b43.png

Screenshot_20240324_202718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae22deca1549e27325c1e5a3e44bcde7.jpg

😇

Regards, Patrick

A rear shot that shows some of the bits and pieces to be added.  I’m struggling a bit with the colouring of the artillery shell. I think it needs to be shinier than this?  I’ve seen versions that are sort of a matt grey black.  All with a stripe that I haven’t added. Thoughts?

IMG_0768.jpeg

Currently building:

2 hours ago, Haliburton said:

I’m struggling a bit with the colouring of the artillery shell. I think it needs to be shinier than this?

e4f4bdea8ffd3631e1edd924c9c4b9a9f7fc7cb7.jpeg.d788257baca7089a6938d037b6242b9d.jpeg

Looks pretty darn shiny to me..... (metallic shiny)

Quote:

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

Looks pretty darn shiny to me..... (metallic shiny)

I used a tamiya copper colour I had on hand. I might consider picking up something that has a glossier metallic look. 

Currently building:

Regards, Patrick

11 hours ago, CDW said:

What a gun! Great looking model. I’ve wanted this one, too. Seeing it built is fun to watch.

Thanks CDW and everyone for the likes. CDW can’t wait to see you start your Dora!

Currently building:

On 3/9/2024 at 8:08 PM, Haliburton said:

So the Krupp family records date back to 1587.  In more recent times when Fritz Krupp (who expanded the Krupp empire into the construction of warships and u-boats through the acquisition of Germaniaerft) died, his teenage daughter “Bertha” of “Big Bertha” fame, inherited the firm.  As Bertha was a woman, Kaiser Wilhelm II arranged for Bertha to marry a Prussian and through imperial proclamation he took the surname Krupp.  So to Egilman’s point, the ‘military industrial complex’ that was critical to the power of Germany was preserved through this arranged marriage. A photo of Bertha and her husband and of the Essen factory devastated in WW2 from Wikipedia.  

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

What I would like to know, was Bertha really as big as she appears in the photo? She seems to dwarf her husband. Perhaps the name, "Big Bertha" was literal in more than one sense of the words. Look at the size of her hands! Sheesh.

8 hours ago, CDW said:

What I would like to know, was Bertha really as big as she appears in the photo? She seems to dwarf her husband. Perhaps the name, "Big Bertha" was literal in more than one sense of the words. Look at the size of her hands! Sheesh.

I haven’t found images of her standing next to him - she’s almost always sitting or is positioned lower, and to your point maybe it is because of her height.   Of course her husband could also have been on the short side too. 

Currently building:

17 hours ago, CDW said:

That may be something we'll never know.  Family secret?   Here's two photos.I found.... I would say that she was probably taller than him.  More here:   https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=ab02dd2696e7e4b9&sca_upv=1&rlz=1C1ZCEB_enUS832US832&sxsrf=ACQVn09ESCEVz_QXBbFR9fC_TRsX6tfTmA:1711482749432&q=bertha+krupp&uds=AMwkrPuVzDpF2Ui_jON45qdA4bHuaHtwN5uMYbkb-EoQCwf4tgfMe3RbCwWKKKsGuwV1YGZG6AFSoWLj9WhYVweKietEHHK8wwUybZ3pZ5P2PD1qBwCgDCNEvO-nMkVQPiq9erkJadapCnuDEm0YGuUzxi2d6p6sX_qeHEtI1FWjHqeXQDYoBXO0otjT6FQTyWfwfA9jhLQhdE8HAo2wR7CqeMD1WsT2udTfEk-U872LtCahmQjxmgiiAv1XaYCzmEsyx0gy_QGzpGs9fWZf7bbB3vY1CV78F446PfUieJLt85MhIAf-qP0&udm=2&prmd=ivnsmbtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjWsMaK2pKFAxUmI0QIHTA3B-8QtKgLegQIDRAB&biw=1402&bih=656&dpr=1.25

Nicola_Perscheid_-_Gustav_Krupp_von_Bohlen_und_Halbach_und_Familie_1928.jpg.c1057b3604952828883856a71370c75b.jpg

Gustav-und-Bertha-Krupp-auf-dem-Achterdeck-der-Germania_-sw-96dpi-gimp.thumb.jpg.9b0c0d6c85d5b24e4f4134090e46bd90.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)