Porsche Carrera GT by CDW - Tamiya - 1:12 Scale - PLASTIC

Your leather looks real, Craig. Pretty close to an American Civil War McClellan saddle I own.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Sweet, I never had imagined, I could fall in love with this kind of Porsche, but somehow your build ignites some `want` feelings in me. Interior and trunk look extremely good.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   
                             Shelby Cobra Coupe by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/12 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9

• 2 weeks later...

Porsche Carrera GT - Front Clip - a special shout-out to Dennis Graham for turning me on to Scale Finishes enamel paints. It's the 1st time I have used it and am very pleased with the performance of the paint. They mixed this unique Porsche color, Signal Yellow, upon request and it matches perfectly with photos of the real car. I took the front clip out of my dehydrator for these photos, and will now place it back inside to allow the enamel to cure/bake in. I found it helpful to add a squirt of Mr Color Leveling Thinner 400 to help the paint self-level. Just a few drops into the cup of my airbrush before giving it the last coat of paint. I put on three light coats then one last heavier coat at the end.

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

14 hours ago, king derelict said:

Beautiful finish Craig.

You need some cat hairs 😃

Alan

One of the beauties of spraying on enamel, a random hair or speck of matter that gets into the paint while spraying can be carefully removed (before it sets up) with a set of fine tip tweezers then another coat of enamel will level out the spot where that trash was located so you never see it ever happened. Unlike lacquer or acrylic which kick off too quickly to allow that, The downside to enamel is a wait for a week or two for it to fully cure to the extent it can be handled without fear of leaving fingerprints. Enamel dries from the top down. It may look or even feel like it has set up when it really has not. It's still wet underneath.

Wow Craig, that finish is amazing!  Yellow is not an easy color to paint, and probably even harder to pull off when trying to replicate a showroom finish.  Really well done!

With the enamel/this brand, do you think the undercoat made a difference?  Or does the enamel give a solid yellow color regardless of the undercoat color?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow Craig, that finish is amazing!  Yellow is not an easy color to paint, and probably even harder to pull off when trying to replicate a showroom finish.  Really well done!

With the enamel/this brand, do you think the undercoat made a difference?  Or does the enamel give a solid yellow color regardless of the undercoat color?

It's been explained to me this way: Enamel dries to a surface finish that is nonporous whereas lacquers and acrylics are porous. While enamel has slow dry and cure times which are a pain to deal with, and slow down production, a glossy surface can be achieved without the polishing and buffing that's needed on lacquer finishes. Scale model car builders, particularly the old school ones, prefer enamel for model cars. 

I used a white lacquer primer for this color and the enamel went down with no problems, easily covering and reaching the intended color. Scale Finishes mixes and bottles his colors using DuPont Axalta paints, a high-quality brand. 

Surface preparation makes ALL the difference in a final finish. You want that surface to be prepared to where it feels as smooth as a baby's butt when you lay down your color.

Edited by CDW

• 2 weeks later...

After giving the front body clip the enamel paint job, I put it in the dehydrator, set to a temperature of 122 degrees F for 24 hours. Then waited ten days before handling the painted piece, giving it plenty of time to cure. I don't want nasty fingerprints and prefer to err on the side of caution. The headlight lenses were cemented in, the headlamp buckets painted and cemented in place along with the air intake pieces and radiator. The front clip rests in place dry-fitted so to speak. It will actually be screwed into place in later stages of the build. Next stages include painting and installing the door jambs and door hinges. Then doors and inner door panels. It will be a slow process while I wait for enamel paint to cure and dry. Same paint process as described before. 

DSCN4226.JPG

DSCN4227.JPG

That yellow looks so good on this Porsche.

And the pup looks good, too. Saw a lady last week with one as an emotional support dog. It was a cutie, too.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

45 minutes ago, Canute said:

That yellow looks so good on this Porsche.

And the pup looks good, too. Saw a lady last week with one as an emotional support dog. It was a cutie, too.

The most common paint on these Porsche Carrera GTs seems to be either silver or black, so I didn't want that. Then I read this particular yellow was done by special order for this single Porsche at a customer request. I like the yellow as well.

The pup I bought for our youngest daughter, the 27-year-old who lives with us. The pups feel like another one of my children, maybe even like grandchildren. I think the older I get; I am becoming more attached to pets. It wasn't like that for me when I was a younger man. I never let myself become emotionally attached to pets. Today they give me quite a lot of joy for some reason I cannot explain. They are so innocent.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I think the older I get; I am becoming more attached to pets. It wasn't like that for me when I was a younger man. I never let myself become emotionally attached to pets. Today they give me quite a lot of joy for some reason I cannot explain. They are so innocent.

I completely agree with you on this. They uncompromising companionship and loyalty and brighten the worse days. Congratulations on Ruby.

paint finish is astounding and well worth the care in letting it cure completely.

Alan

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I think the older I get; I am becoming more attached to pets. It wasn't like that for me when I was a younger man. I never let myself become emotionally attached to pets. Today they give me quite a lot of joy for some reason I cannot explain. They are so innocent.

For me as I have gotten older I find my relation to God more important always there and understanding our dog is much the same way ever notice they spell backwards?;)

Looks like we have a big storm coming. Making preparations now. NOAA hasn't given it a name yet, but tropical force winds are a fairly high probability for my area right now early in the wee hours of Thursday morning. During the day while my daughter is at work, I'm on puppy-sitting duty. She's an energetic, sweet little thing.

11 hours ago, CDW said:

Looks like we have a big storm coming

keep it safe the models show a windfield to the east that is quite large.The further the 75mph winds extend the bigger the fetch meaning surge that's why during Katrina the fetch went all the way to Mobile.Keep Safe!;)

8 hours ago, CDW said:

Lucky for me, our home is high and dry. Storm surge poses no threat.

Yeah the best laid plans and all that, Just stay safe my friend....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

We are getting clobbered with rain here in western NC. Yesterday we set a record with 4.1 inches. Drought, what drought. Biggest issue is some road cuts in US highways. Rainband from the northeast into Helene runs right over the top of Henderson County. This stuff will keep at it until Saturday. 😞

Ken

11 minutes ago, Canute said:

We are getting clobbered with rain here in western NC. Yesterday we set a record with 4.1 inches. Drought, what drought. Biggest issue is some road cuts in US highways. Rainband from the northeast into Helene runs right over the top of Henderson County. This stuff will keep at it until Saturday. 😞

I hope you are safe from damage or injury Ken 

alan

5 hours ago, Canute said:

You too my friend, stay safe....

I went thru one of those early fall hurricanes way back as a younker, inside the house the wind was whistling like it was a train whistle roaring by, lost a lot of trees, those big willows, tipped out of the ground like they were growing out of mud....

Thankfully the one in the back yard didn't go over...

Scary stuff....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Stay safe my brothers.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1