Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Nicely done Denis, the chute adds a completely different perspective to the hull mate. :)  :)

Continuing to watch with interest mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie  :)    I tried to get back here last night to post the pictures........darn thing went into sleep mode and wouldn't wake up.   yea still a few things I need to do towards getting my computer to fit my lifestyle ;)    anyway.......here are some pictures of the hull after it got the primer coat.   they aren't real good quality......but they show the progress well enough. 

I still have more to do.......;)

post-612-0-40203500-1410737947_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-36425300-1410737959_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-44329900-1410737991_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-91324600-1410738019_thumb.jpg

I let it dry quite a bit before I brought her back into the house.   while it was out there,  I started to work on the fore deck platform.

post-612-0-01860300-1410738128_thumb.jpg

here's an odd thing I noticed.   when I sprayed the transom......I was pointing right at it when I sprayed.    yet none of it got in the chute.  I did not mask the chute at all.

post-612-0-50309700-1410738149_thumb.jpg

I did cement the bulkhead in place.......and the bottom support for it {behind it}

post-612-0-08043000-1410738384_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-99258800-1410738580_thumb.jpg

now,  the deck support beams need to be done at the bow.   the fore deck platform can be cut out,  and hopefully,  I can get to the point of cementing it in place,  in the next session.  thanks for looking in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Your primer coat looks better than some of my paint jobs.  Good progress!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie and John........it will look even better when I can go the second round with it  :)   especially when I can start using the finer papers.  I wished I had the camera when I did this........you would have seen how much filler I put on,  and how much was left afterwards.  there isn't much.....just where I filled the divots.   I'm impatient to get some color on her.    thanks for the good word! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Sjors.......it's coming out better than expected.  I have three other hulls,  so what I do with this one will be a guide for the others.  thanks for the good word  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree, that is one incredibly smooth hull and the paint looks airbrushed.  Awesome!!!!

Whats next, whats next huh huh huh?  :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

fore deck,  my friend.........fore deck!  ;)   I'm going to try and add the section that over shadows the bulkhead.   it's a notched looking aperture,  so I need to look at the plans and make sure I cut it right.   thanks for the good word Adam  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well.......think of the Vic.......that is ONE complex ship your working on ;)   I think that if I had gone in the direction of sailing ships,  I'd even call MYSELF  'looney' for doing so many.   your build looks so good........simply because you've devoted you complete concentration on her.......period.  my thing is.......my kid in a candy store / bull in a china shop mentality.  I see so much......love to apply them to my build,  but most of the ideas don't fit {I learned this from the lobster boat build}.   so,  I created other hulls to try them out on........funny how an experiment can backfire in unexpected ways  :D   I enjoy doing these multiple builds though......now if I come up with a crazy idea,  I can throw it at a build and see if it sticks.

thanks for saying such nice things...your very kind  :)    with your Vic almost finished,  I would have imagined you'd be stock piling wood and supplies at this time.  have you thought about the fittings you'll need......scratch built or ordered?  the finish line is in sight...it won't be much longer now  ;)   thanks for the good word Lawrence.......I should have an update soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

.......and what has the crazy one been up to...........hmmmmmmm.

basically,  the necro - part is pretty much done.......everything I did these past couple of days sort of strung together.  so,  I just kept snapp'in pictures as the evolution took place.   the bow is the next area to tackle.......this was done on Tuesday.   the large area needed to be framed in.

post-612-0-22216700-1411135410_thumb.jpg

here is how the locator strip looks at the base of the bulkhead.  the elongation of the deck panels come in handy here.

post-612-0-61874700-1411135693_thumb.jpg

when I made an adjustment to the height of the starboard bulwark at the stern,  I had nicked the top board of the transom.  I tried to fix it with hand sanding,  and it ended up with a curvature.  the top board was removed and a new one was put in to replace it.

post-612-0-86906100-1411135860_thumb.jpg

with that done,  more framing was added to the bow.   with the beams being at odd angles,  I simply used bits of square stock as gussets under them.  good way to use up the waste wood.

post-612-0-47907300-1411136184_thumb.jpg

you can see them better in this picture.......here,  pieces of square stock was fitted along the sides to act as a locator for the deck platform.

post-612-0-40340100-1411136347_thumb.jpg

where I am to add in the sides for the aperture,  the port side needed to be cleaned up.  it is done.

post-612-0-71835600-1411136449_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm not sure if anyone remembers the saga about the kite string.  I believe it is nylon,  but not totally sure........but it does work well for rigging.  in my search for more,  I had bought a few kites to get it.  I finally threw away the kites.......but kept all the dowels that made up the frames.  I'm not sure of the size,  perhaps #4 or #6 {around there somewhere},  and made of bamboo.   I thought it was kinda funny,  that bamboo seems to be creeping into our medium........but it looks perfect for what I want to use it for  ;)

post-612-0-11111100-1411137015_thumb.jpg

the deck platform was cut out......after the aperture was measured and marked.  I tossed around the idea of making it a complete piece......the only seam would be down the middle. 

post-612-0-83575100-1411137224_thumb.jpg

the gaps along the bulwarks were filled in,  as well as on both sides of the bulkhead.  looks good now,  but after it had dried,  there were some small cracks that developed.  I'll fill them in later with white glue.

post-612-0-38981100-1411137371_thumb.jpg

there were also some cut-a-ways to be done on the fore deck aperture.   not so much on the port side,  but a longer one was to be on the starboard side.  the panel is shown upside down here.

post-612-0-77322800-1411137500_thumb.jpg

in place on the bow,  you can get a sense of what it will look like.   I left some of the curve in the fore deck layout.

post-612-0-98587500-1411137658_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-53835900-1411137674_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

I must say, a busy shipyard....

nice Progress !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Denis intriguing work, I am looking forward to seeing how this is all going to come together.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Nils....there 1 more update :)   it will finish off the mods......this is the basic hull I have to work with.  thanks for the good word  ;)

the deck area is coming around quite well,  aside from the tiny cracks I have to deal with.  but these are just minor things.......I can do them as I go along.   If I have to decant some primer to do touch ups....so be it  ;) ..

time to get the underside of the aperture,  and the deck area primered.  I kinda got stupid here...... after waiting for the primer to dry {and I thought it was},  I noticed some  'hairs'  had risen from the bulkhead.

touching it and feeling it was dry,  I sanded it......but the deck hadn't dried enough,  and I left some nasty nail marks there.   I had to wait longer and sand them away.......then touch up  {oh....well}  :)

post-612-0-31867500-1411141636_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-45316400-1411141656_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97075200-1411141667_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-46157000-1411141681_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-83811100-1411141695_thumb.jpg

when everything had dried.......time to assemble!

post-612-0-16055700-1411141747_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77689600-1411141759_thumb.jpg

it stayed like this for most of the day.   later in the after noon,  the bands were removed.

post-612-0-94373600-1411141853_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80091000-1411141865_thumb.jpg

the platform requires a little sanding along the edges.........I left it a tiny bit over.  I need to make those two parts for the aperture.......then it can be sanded a a whole.    so....this is it......the basic hull  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this is it Michael.......the end of the mods  :)    now it's onward and upward  ;)  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Larry's looking good.

I use to do the "sanding the primer too early" a lot when doing auto finishing.

Patience! :angry:

Waiting for paint to dry is SO annoying, luckily with primer it is fixable.

BTW, Larry looks good in white (or is the light grey), either way the paint gives it a more finished look.

D'oh, I guess that's why they call it a finish :piratetongueor4:

Anyway, its fun as always watching a spinach powered mind at work.  :dancetl6:

I'm so used to primer drying quickly......to look at it now.......no harm,  no foul.   this is a white primer......back in the day,  I recall when there was just brick red and gray.   now-a-days,  there just about every color of the spectrum.......no more problems with 'hue ghosting'

thanks for the good word Keith  ;)

thanks John.....it's nice to be at the point where I can now start to add to her.....distinguishing features.  thanks for the good word!

thanks to all those who hit the like button......this really was easy to do.  it went better than I thought.  Larry is no more......the name got erased with the fore deck platform.  there is still an absence of feature.....nothing to look at and say 'yup,  that's what it is'.   the shell of the helm is to be made.......that might give a clue.  I do know that I have to do something with that bow stem........the flat area on it is really noticeable ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work there Popeye.  I'm very intrigued by what you are cooking up with these builds.  Nothing registers but then again I'm an airplane guy and nor very familiar with boats.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

We're all waiting to see  "her.....distinguishing features" , Popeye.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Excellently coming along Popeye - can't wait to see how it comes along.   When your details start popping out - always a great surprise!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

jeeze.......thanks gentlemen!    done with the work week......perhaps I can get more done.   I do want to get with some of the other builds though....some are like loooooong overdue.  this two month hiatus I took really didn't do me any favors in this respect.

thanks Kees........I'm following your build...you got a very interesting build going on there!

thanks Piet..........I think you know more about ships than you let on........that sub is knock'in my socks off!  :)

thanks Omega.......I think it's kinda funny.....in the series,  Curly was the one that got replaced.....Shemp,  Joe,  Etc.  unfortunately,  the Holiday boats aren't going to get finished this year......still way too much to do.  this hull was the most logical to use,  since it had a couple of flaws,  that needed to be fixed.  that's all done now :)   though it's sad to think that the Holiday build has been reduced to a dual build,  the direction that this hull is going to take,  is going to be just as much fun to do.   ever since I first saw this hull design,  I had this idea......it was just too good to keep bottled up any longer  ;)

thanks Bob and Adam :)    I'll try not to leave ya hang'in for too long.   there is a lot of dowel work ahead on me.......glad to know that I have enough from the kites.  I do have a couple of pictures here that show one little feature.   I have to narrow it by 1/8......just a hair too wide.   I left it in this position all weekend......when I went to take it out,  it had formed itself in the shape.   I have to change it though,  because the posts are now at a slight angle........I'll fix it ;)

post-612-0-06768500-1411482491_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-39472100-1411482504_thumb.jpg

this gives the extended deck more of a purpose now.   I should have more on it soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that is the support for the deck extension.    there is a lot more where that came from  :D  :D   thanks for the likes and comments ;)

I got into another aspect yesterday........something I could have done when I made up the fore deck additions,  but in thinking of all the added measuring I would have had to do.....I just did it in this manner.  the fore deck calls for fenders {I think this is what you call them} around the bow.   I didn't get pictures of this as I went along.......just picture the stern being between my knees,  and me trying to cement these buggers on there........at the same angle as the bow,  and as flush as I could to the edge.

post-612-0-07476700-1411571103_thumb.jpg

this is a rough cut of one of the sides.   after shaping it,  I made up the other side and commenced to gluing them on.  let the battle begin!

post-612-0-01642800-1411571207_thumb.jpg

of course,  I won....but the tip of the bow kept wanting to split.   to defeat it,  a piece of square stock was cemented in the corner of the tip,  and used the little jig I made to help out.

post-612-0-11901000-1411571336_thumb.jpg

the angle isn't quite right,  but that's OK.  filler was applied to help hide the seam of the deck and such.

post-612-0-71818600-1411571514_thumb.jpg

it was sanded at this point,  to bring it down and lessen the angle.   to fill in the minor defects,  it got a second application.

post-612-0-91707300-1411571602_thumb.jpg

then it was sanded again,  doing a bit more to lessen the angle at the bow tip.  this was a good thing,  because it gave me more time to fix that slight bulge on the port side.  it's hardly noticeable now....I can live with it  ;)  any other small adjustments can be done when I finish out the rest of the hull.  one thing I want to do,  is take the bow tip down some more.   I made this over sized a little,  so it could be sanded and trimmed....it didn't need as much as I thought it would.  I got it to where it is now,  and gave it a shot of primer to seal it up.  I still need to fill the gaps along the deck line.

post-612-0-55674100-1411572096_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21400300-1411572110_thumb.jpg

chop that tip down a little........and I'll be in business!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice shape! Sometimes you can get grazy when something does not glue at once. The glue always sticks to my fingers but when I want to glue to peaces of plastic together it doesnt work. Arghhhhh :angry:  But at the end you won :10_1_10: