Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Looks fabulous, Popeye!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

glad your back Augie.......told you I'd make some progress for when you get back  ;)   enjoy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Coming together real nice Denis, well done mate.

It strikes me that the only person not to have a boat is Popeye himself, your imagination could really run riot there mate. ;)  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Frank......I am so sorry I missed you!  I thank you for the kind comment :)   it's funny.......I went out today and started to pick up some of the Christmas decorations for the other two.  I'm afraid that I will have to go somewhere else,  if I want wider flat stock......Hobby Lobby only has the three inch wide stuff {I think I bought them out of the four inch}.  they don't seem too good at replenishment.  I mentioned Micheal's,  I may look there next ;)   the worst part is the hull work........get over that hurdle,  and life will be a lot easier.  :)

thanks Mobbsie for the kind word........you touch on something,  that I do have as a thought.   there will be an S.S.Olive Oyl,  but it's on the back burner,  because I need to decide which way to go with it.   I can do it as a cartoon-ish style build,  or I can go all out with it.  I have pictures of the boat in the 'Popeye meets Sinbad' movie short......it's pretty bare bones.  hopefully,  by the time I get to it,  a few of these builds will be done.   there are other thoughts and considerations.......but for now,  I'll leave pandora's box closed  ;)

It'll be good to 'ave a ship 'o me own

a place fo' me hammock an' a sail to be blown 

if I start another without the admiral's consent

you'll all be wonder'in where Popeye went

a tombstone so gray

to mark such a day

When Popeye met death,  by a boat  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Oi Popeye,

Had quite an enjoyable read. Nice to know I can turn to somebody for build modding, boat necromancy, and wood deformations. Looking good my friend.

P.s. I would advice to leave vista alone(!!!)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Ed......glad I can make someone laugh :D  if I were to put a book together,  you'd likely find it in the comic section.....even got a title picked out:  "outlandish prose of the sea"   whadya think?  :D

Carl.....so good to see you here ;)   I couldn't think of a better way to get over a two month hiatus.   I know what your saying about Vista,  but it's all I had at the time.   one day.....windows 7 ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so,  this week's progress started with the bow getting a hack job.   I took quite a bit of it off.

post-612-0-95078500-1412378621_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67468200-1412378654_thumb.jpg

...and how it looks with the pilot house on there.......

post-612-0-62994900-1412378708_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-51618200-1412378787_thumb.jpg

the ice maker started as a piece of balsa.   I got the bottom square and glued a basswood plate on there to get rid of the 'end wood'.  no matter how many times you paint these areas,  they always seem to suck up the paint.  getting the top square though seemed next to impossible.   adjust for one corner being off,  only to check again,  and find another corner off.......grrrr.

post-612-0-97691100-1412379404_thumb.jpg

thinking that there must be a better way,  I made one.   I didn't allow for the top and bottom panels,  so it was too tall to fit under the aperture.

post-612-0-95171400-1412379801_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it was an easy adjustment......took about 1/4 inch off the top,  and glued it back on after it was cleaned up.

post-612-0-54654000-1412380041_thumb.jpg

it will make more ice than the smaller model....more to do to it though

post-612-0-70322200-1412380094_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71788300-1412380109_thumb.jpg

there is a rack,  connected to a raised podium of sorts.  this is the beginnings of it.

post-612-0-28555000-1412380261_thumb.jpg

before I could get too carried away with that,  the scuppers needed to be cut out.   grabbing a punch out for the boulogne Etaples scuppers,  traced them out and cut them.   what a mistake......looks like I took three volleys broadside!

post-612-0-31652100-1412380489_thumb.jpg

I needed to remember that the bulwarks have been cut down.....not as tall as they used to be.   what looks good on the Boulogne,  look terrible here.  grabbing some wood of the same thickness,  the holes were squared up and partially filled in.

post-612-0-91243900-1412380647_thumb.jpg

filler was applied both in and out.

post-612-0-16373600-1412380698_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77915500-1412380711_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John........I didn't think I had left that much of an overage...but I lopped off 5mm or more at the tip!  better safe than sorry,  I guess :)

thanks for the good word!   hope you enjoy your holiday ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I made an adjustment on my pictures.......what I used to use on XP does not apply to Vista......they were better than 500kb!

anyway.......I had to run out to Hobby Lobby to get more wood.  as I mentioned in one of my replies,  they were out of the four inch wide flat stock......I could only get three inch :(   I was going through the clearance shelf.......they had a bunch of balsa strip stock there for .10 cents a piece...different increments.   too bad I don't do balsa.  I may go back......perhaps I can use it for non stress framing ;)

I also began to pick up Christmas decorations.......pretty......pretty :wub::blush::rolleyes:

so.........when I got back,  I did the scuppers for the starboard side.......but I didn't do them like I did the port side.  I remembered that old Irish proverb......"don't du that ag'in Jimmy, er I'll whack ye up the backside wit' me shillelagh!"

post-612-0-20488600-1412383572.jpg

then......time for the filler.......not so much of a repair this time

post-612-0-94680400-1412383643.jpg

more work was done to the rack part...still more to go......add the podium etc....

post-612-0-98446900-1412383848.jpg

there was a short break here due to sanding....and then quickly out to the garage to be touched up with primer,  to clean up all the battle scars.  what transpired in this time is Franks fault {not really} :)

I'll get into all this in a moment ;)

the primer is dry,  so I can show how the scupper job came out.  I like them better this way.

post-612-0-20312500-1412385147.jpg

post-612-0-33257900-1412385163.jpg

post-612-0-42558800-1412385177.jpg

I have found no information on the  'Miss Penny' as of yet.  I do know that she hit the water in 1978.  I believe she was renamed when she was purchased by the Sea Gale Corp. in Gloucester, Mass.  she became this boat....her last day was 10-28-1991. 

post-612-0-33072700-1412387156.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sweet!! Denis, good thing I was the culprit, look how nice it came out! :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I'm not sure anyone noticed,  but the  'Jingle Belle'  has been on the other table.   I wanted to start sanding the hull,  but I failed to get to her yet.   While  'Miss Penny' was in the Garage drying,  I thought to bring the Christmas tree boat out,  and look into the full bulwark theory..   it can't happen :(

to do it,  with the way the first rib is situated,  I would have to chop through a lot of plywood.  worst than that,  it would make the bulwarks too deep at the bow,  therefore,  I would have to lower the curvature of the bow,  the construction of the hull...and it's viability,  would look terribly off.  I settled for some of the bow section though......I will sheer the rest over and install fenders to handle the break water {hope I called it correctly}

the main deck will stay the same......there will be a step - up for this created section,  and I will still be able to have an open helm.   first,  the two tabs need to be cut out.

post-612-0-57996800-1412388490.jpg

they were marked,  the top of the rib between them was leveled off,  and I readied the Dremel with the cut off wheel.  the smell of burning wood and the sound,  Made Gibbs run under the admiral's desk!  he doesn't like the sound.   after consoling him and opening a window,  running a fan,  I did the bulwark post cuts with my deep miter saw.   the sheer was cut out and cemented on the top of the bow.  if I'm going to light this......this would be the best time to run the wires.   I can lay the deck platforms and drill all the holes I need.  I can finish planking the hull.

post-612-0-63879600-1412389233.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Frank........awwwww...your not a culprit......if the admiral saw me working on 'em,  she'd be jumping for joy!  :)   should have seen the look on her face when I told here they wouldn't be done this year.   she was out with me today...love the way her face lights up when she looks at the Christmas stuff ;)   she was helping me pick the decorations out........gotta get her familiar with scale though......WOW!

she picks up this pine bough,  with ribbons and berries....

No honey.......it's too big

well.....you can cut this off and.....

it's still too big...the bristles are too big

it took a bit of doing,  but she got it...{I think}.   I do love it when she gets involved.  so Frank....if anything,  I should thank you.  you made me think of them.......I had some free time,  so why not try out one of my ideas.  sad it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to,  but some thing work,  and some don't.   thanks my friend  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

I have no idea where this is headed... :D  :D :D    But I am enjoying the ride anyway.   Excellent work, my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:  I see it too,  it's going to be confusing if I leave this one in here.......I think the direction is pretty much in place.  I hate to,  but I think it's time to put this one in it's own log.  then I can call her by her real name,  instead of  'Miss Penny'.  thanks for the good word!  ;)

hello Vivian  :)   thanks for the good word.  glad to have you follow along.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree with you brother, its nice when the Admiral gets involved, every good sailor just wants to please the Admiral after all  :D

.... those are some pretty big hints B) for the enquiring of us......

and Lastly, The scuppers are 100% better downsized. Much more to proportion. Metamorphosis-Larry is quickly becoming something else completely ;), and I like it.

You’re doing a fine job designing as you go is no easy feat.  You add on, you cut it down, you add it on you cut it down, and so it goes.  Then at last the imagined is reality.  Can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Omega........ohhh,  there's no denying.......quite the contrary......I'm amazed! :)   this particular hull embodies the subject quite well,  after my little nip and tuck ;)    well worth the effort,  and I do apologize for the confusion.

absolutely Bro......she loves the boats......cripes, I can't even touch a plastic kit without her complaining.   she my sounding board and color coordinator....she'll have a say in the Holiday Harbor build.  I could mention the captain's name........or the color,  that might tempt someone to guess....but no one has to......it will be clear soon.   hope you and Tammy are doing well under the circumstances,  I know it's tough. thanks for the kind word.

thanks Bob......yep,  that's scratch building.   I imagine.....that this reality needs her proper name.  to do that,  she will need her own log,  since I don't have to do any more mods on her.  your looking at the basic F/V hull.   I'd like to leave her here,  but it would be just too confusing.  I might not do it this week end......but I'll let everyone know when I do.  thank you for your very kind comment  ;)

it will all become clear soon :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well, I'll certainly be looking forward to be unconfused when you explain all this ;)  I'm still scratching my poor head but whatever you have done so far looks great.  Like the scuppers!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

way to go....ED!  :)  :D    the Hannah Boden was her sister ship.  the movie,  'The Perfect Storm'  is a very good movie,  although I found a site that tried to disprove some of the theory's.

I have a very cool article about her......I'll add it to the new log ;)   thanks for playing........Vanna gives you a big hug!

thanks Piet......yea,  they look much better.....the boulogne build had them already lasered out.....and they suit that boat better.   the holiday boats will sport the smaller ones as well...they don't need the big drains.  thanks for the good word  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I changed them to match the relation of the bulwarks......I had cut them down a little and flattened the curvature.   the waterline is down far enough.....it should be good ;)    I do seem to be a bit too far astern on the last scupper........I'll see what I'll need to do when I do the rub rails

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

OK.......so to cut the confusion,  I will be putting the Andrea Gail in her own log.  this past week,  I only got to do a few things......winter prep and duties calls :(    here is what I've done on the subject at hand.

if I am to do some lighting to the Christmas tree boat,  the deck needs to be installed.   a lot of what is to come needs to be removable,  so the hull can be finished and painted.  as was shown earlier,  I found that I could not do the idea of full bulwarks......so the bow will have a bit of a fore deck..   it starts with the last printed sheet of flat stock........I had made three of these earlier.

post-612-0-20306700-1413292507_thumb.jpg

the bow was sanded a little to get the shape back

post-612-0-79863700-1413292599_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08459200-1413292614_thumb.jpg

for the deck beams......I had some 2mm strip stock.   to fit them in place,  slots were cut into the ends and cemented in place,  with gussets for added support.  they are not totally flush,  so I will add a strip of flat stock {.5 mm}  to level them up with the two that run lengthwise

post-612-0-54694800-1413292931_thumb.jpg

as for the Jingle Belle........I still need to get her out to the garage for sanding

post-612-0-73892800-1413292982_thumb.jpg

more to come..........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye. Thanks for the explanation. It's starting to make sense now. So, the Christmas boat will literally have a xmas theme, if not, then some xmas decorations per se on it? If so, that'd be a really fun build and it'd be great to see it all coming together.

Good luck with the preparations for your winter, too!

Edited by Omega1234

thanks Omega :)   that is the plan........unfortunately,  only the Christmas tree boat will have lighting.  the hull is still open,  and I will hold off on finishing the planking until then.  I will have to show you some of the decorations I've found so far....I promise you.......there will be plenty of BLING!!  :D

while I am on the subject of the Christmas tree boat,  I did a bit of research a while back.  I had found that there was a play done under this premise.......I may have posted it a while back in the log.  when I was doing the new log for the Andrea Gail....I happened onto something else. 

in creating these types of boats,  I like to make them as believable as possible.  the M&M boat was a bit different though......it was more of an 'admiral's whim' ;)   I'd like to think that somewhere in this country,  Christmas tree are being delivered by boat.  I found this 'you tube' video about a ship called the Rouse Simmons......check it out  ;)

here are a couple of pictures....

post-612-0-84457800-1413305183.jpeg

I thought I had two.......copied the wrong one...........<darn>

I also saw what looks like a converted lobster boat......mine is going to look quite different,   but it's the general idea.  it just makes me happy to know that I was right  :D  :D

post-612-0-01726200-1413305338.jpeg

post-612-0-60177500-1413305352.jpeg

here is a picture that I think would look really cool as a desktop picture.....or even a 1000 piece puzzle!

post-612-0-39697800-1413305414.jpeg

as for the Jingle Belle.......I'm sure that in some seaport regatta,  a certain 'float' {literally} can be seen in the lineup,  with carolers on board...singing that Christmas classic  "Fruitcake ain't for everyone" :D

just kidding..........don't know what the stigma is about fruitcake.......I like it,  but only in small pieces over a long period of time  ;)   seems to be the brunt of a lot of jokes........kinda like wedding cake.  you know the tradition.........take the top and stick it in the freezer.   on you first year anniversary,  you take it out and eat it.   we did it..........probably the reason why we're still married today.....won't do that again,  I can tell you that!.EWWWWWWW!  tasted like everything we ever had in that freezer!

I digress......sorry.  but it just shows how wide open this medium can be.  you can model something that is probable.......you might not see it every day......or you can go out on a limb,  and do something that is fantasy.  you can take any basic hull construction,  and see the comparison to other ships of that type.

I hope you follow along .........you'll see what I'm going to do to these two  ;)

post-612-0-72897000-1413305198.jpeg

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: