Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

yes Sjors.......it's for that plastic build I'm doing for another site.   don't ask for another picture........this is a ship site

remember.....CHOO>>>>>>>>>CHOO! :D :D :D :D

this should make you very happy.........what else can one do,  when his computer is on the lamb!

so.......Larry's necro job is going as good as I suspected it would......but with one small setback.   I don't have a copy of the plans in front of me........one set is in my computer......the other one is on a memory stick.  I can't access either one of them.

there is to be a net chute in the transom........as my memory goes,  it sits just above the waterline.  I used a bit of logic to deduce that there must be an opening in the deck........at a angle.   I had cleaned up the stern transom posts,  and remove the last bits of the planks I ripped off.

post-612-0-63614800-1409884876_thumb.jpg

I took a wild guess at how wide the opening is in the transom,  marked it,  and cut down the sides.

post-612-0-91095100-1409884980_thumb.jpg

with my cordless drill,  I two pilot holes for my keyhole saw.......I even took that center tang out of there.......cut ata downward angle.  It won't be needed.

post-612-0-54665500-1409885103_thumb.jpg

then the opening was cleaned up,  making sure the sides were square

post-612-0-78988500-1409885156_thumb.jpg

all of the flat areas along the sides of where the deck platform is to be,  were either cut down or sanded flush woth the deck beams.  I sitll need to put in the rest of them.

post-612-0-61777200-1409885249_thumb.jpg

I did a little sanding along the bow walls....the excess posts were cut off.   there is a little room still for adjustments.....once the fore deck platform is on....... it's for keeps.

post-612-0-50987700-1409885502_thumb.jpg

to strengthen all the beam joints,   I'm going to install knees

post-612-0-93923100-1409885607_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-18898200-1409885622_thumb.jpg

I know it's a bit early for this.......but I began to cut and trim the main deck platforms.   this is the starboard side,  all notched and ready for about um-teen dry fits.  a small section of the front area has been cut off.   these were done during the concept of the Holiday Harbor build.......this part is not needed,  but I left enough so I can add bottom locator tabs for the bulkhead.

post-612-0-40117300-1409885888_thumb.jpg

this is what it looks like after the um-teen dry fits.   you might notice the line drawn on it........that is supposed to be cut off,  but I'm leaving it as a bit of insurance for a snug fit.

post-612-0-99005400-1409886066_thumb.jpg

the fit came out better than I expected

post-612-0-04862200-1409886237_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Better than expected????? It looks perfect.

I like your addition of the knee joints...should add rigidity just like the gussets on airplane joints.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

as for the hole in the deck........I marked off the area.   when I see something more conclusive,  it will dictate how large it is. 

it certainly can't be any wider.......that I am sure of.  there will be some net reels located in front of it.

post-612-0-04992300-1409886518_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-81967600-1409886534_thumb.jpg

the outer fore deck/bulkhead beam was cemented into place.......knees were used here as well

post-612-0-13464900-1409886662_thumb.jpg

did some fancy measuring to trace out the bulkhead wall

post-612-0-32895500-1409886826_thumb.jpg

after some trimming and dry fits,  it was done.  above the bulwarks,  I did not go all the way to the edge.......there are curved inserts that have to go there,.

post-612-0-91739000-1409887169_thumb.jpg

an overall shot.....

post-612-0-13885400-1409887310_thumb.jpg

here it shows how the main deck platform juts out from under the bulkhead.   lower support tabs will be here

post-612-0-26406100-1409887430_thumb.jpg

a shot of the open cavity

post-612-0-71271900-1409887493_thumb.jpg

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

There's some serious modifying going on here...   :)  and it all looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bash, smash, crash and mash and it all is looking fantastic!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Popeye,

I see thats the beginning of the popeye bluewater fishing and trawling Company. Nice idea and probably your going to do the kays the sheds, the net- and box Storages, lobster baskets, etc and all what it takes to resemble a little fisher cove, but what an ambitious project

BTW for what model are those masts in the Background ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Amazed as always.

I'm with Augie, on your better then expected in that deck fit.

You must be expecting better then perfect....um ....oh excuse me.... I forgot who I was talking to.

Innovation and perfection, the two hallmarks of a popeye build.

Nice engine, is that a Hemi or a SOHC 427? The SOHC's aren't a common piece - I remember buying a model years ago just for that engine. The 63' split window 'vette I was modifying got powered by FORD :P

So where's this other site. I've been stuck in a rut for weeks and I'm eyeballing that B17 or Z28 on my shelf as maybe a way to get the blood flowing again.

It seemed to have worked for you and I've never been stirred wrong by the spinach powered ship builder yet. :dancetl6:

You've certainly hit the ground running Popeye.

Ahhh the smell of a hot saw blade, the crunch of wood chippings under your feet and sawdust up your nose and in your eyes, these are experiences of the lone modeller as he toils away in his workshop, the gentle curses when he realises that the work he's just spent the last 2 hours on wont work, the reaching for the first aid box as he tries to stem the flow of blood from a cut artery. 

These are the experiences none modellers will never have, it does beg the question, why on gods earth do we do it, the answer, because we love it.

Popeye the love of your hobby shines through and long may it last, superb work mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks to every one and the likes........now that I got this computer up and running again.......feels so good to be able to hit the like button again!  I'm just glad that my coming in here the other day,  didn't affect the site.   I lost the use of functions here on the site........highlighted ad words......ad squares that wouldn't show up until you passed the cursor over them {I did my best to x'em all out}.   I knew I was in trouble,  because I showed the admiral that it was happening to all of my websites.  after that I got off the net  and tried to do searches to isolate and delete the culprits......that was a complete s***show!  now I have Vista, and I am almost back to normal.   I thank my admiral {who would've liked to kill me a couple of time there...}     it IS a good thing we don't live on the third floor......it would have been so cool to see it hit the pavement!

gussets........another good word for them.......thanks Augie!

thanks Mark,  Adam,  and John for the good word!

thanks Sjors.......I needed the nudge......the race car wasn't hitt'in the spot ;)   mo' sawdust..........com'in right up!  :D

thanks Nils............say?  how about you get that Cux sea worthy.........we'll run out an' get us some fin......whadya say?!?!  :D  :D   thank you for the good word.   funny.....there was an ad for a job on a lobster boat,  the admiral read about.......ohhhhhh,  don't I wish I could change careers like that {snap}  :)

thanks for the good word Keith and Wayne....at the moment.......definitely sawfish!  I'll get more into the more delicate catches later on ;)

awwwww......it was only a small cut Mobbsie......not even 1/4 inches long  :D   thanks for the good word,  my friend.  all good reasons why we do it :)

careful with the sweet words,  sugarbumps......your liable to make me break out into poem :wub::blush:

I'm rubb'in Dave.........I'm rubb'in..........Honey........can you bring me the cheeze grater.........thanks for the good word!

{I can even use emoticons again,,,,,,,,,,,,,whooopee!                                  :722972270:

the greatest show on earth!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Welcome home!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thank you good sir ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you know.......it's a good thing I'm not working with dogwood........all this teasing,  and it'd have probably bitten me by now

bada-boom.....bada bing!

O...K.....    I already showed you  how the deck is going to mate at the bulkhead and what the bow tip looks like.  with that completed to the point that it is,  I guess the rest of the cross beams need to be installed.   I was able to start this the same way I did the first ones......a piece of stripping leveraged under it to hold it in place.

post-612-0-76989500-1410381953_thumb.jpg

figured I'd better get the other half of deck platform cut and notched out

post-612-0-26304900-1410382007_thumb.jpg

when it was trimmed well enough,  they were both laid into place,  to see how it would look.   looks like I'll need to compensate the starboard side to match.

post-612-0-50463800-1410382254_thumb.jpg

by this time,  all of the other cross beams were installed.   I ran a small strip across the transom,  because the edge was splintered a little........no big reason aside from that.   the center of it will be cut out anyway.

post-612-0-16423300-1410382273_thumb.jpg

the rest of the gussets were installed as well

post-612-0-97344000-1410382302_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of looking around on line for ideas on the net chute.  most of what I saw,  were models of this vessel,  and the instructions were no help either.  along the transom bulwark,  there are three reels....leading to the thought that there must be an opening further in on the aft deck.  so,  while I'm still looking {I'll check out similar stern trawlers},  I do this and plan a hinged hold cover for it.    I can always change later if need be.   first,  the bottom of the chute was laid in place.

post-612-0-42312700-1410383226_thumb.jpg

then the sides were cut out and cemented in place

post-612-0-95407900-1410383261_thumb.jpg

now......to wait til it is dry,  so I can shape the outer lip of the chute.   then,  when the deck platform halves are in place,  the roof of the opening can be finished out.   with the inside painted flat black,  one will never know how far in it goes.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

There's a lot of good accurate there mate and you ain't hanging around either.

This is not really my kind of boat but she's an interesting build and it's gonna be fun to see her through.

You never know you may convert me.

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Looking good neighbor, lookin good!!

Your necromancy is going well - let's just try not to shed TOO much blood by personal injury shall we?  That I do believe is taking necromancy and building by blood sweat and tears a LITTTTTTTLE bit to far ;)

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

You are a busy man sir, looks good..

The additional period is for insurance.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks to you all for the good word and the likes.   I've been hit by a few  'waves'.......but not bad enough that it would stop me,  by any stretch of imagination  :)   I'm really not that far in finishing the mods to the hull.......pretty soon,  I can start treating it as a normal build  {if there is such a thing)  :D

the mod goes on with refining the chute........can't do too much right now,  because there is still the filler work to the transom.  here,  the edges are somewhat rounded off.

post-612-0-64669900-1410539248_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-22724300-1410539262_thumb.jpg

with the deck in place......this will be the size of the chute.

post-612-0-60897900-1410539313_thumb.jpg

the stern bulwark is put back in place at this time.

post-612-0-03560900-1410539379_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30360800-1410539415_thumb.jpg

for that minor short coming along the transom with the deck,  I decided to cut both deck halves even to one another,  and add in a strip of square stock,  to fill it in.

post-612-0-08021800-1410539572_thumb.jpg

the starboard side platform is cemented in place at this time

post-612-0-82631400-1410539616_thumb.jpg

when it was dry,  the port side was installed

post-612-0-15311600-1410539673_thumb.jpg

while I was waiting.......I did the filler work on the transom.   most of this will be sanded off

post-612-0-14256200-1410539739_thumb.jpg

any gaps in the deck platform got some filler,  especially the seam down the middle.  again,  most of this will be sanded off

post-612-0-02294400-1410539829_thumb.jpg

I need to run a few errands with the admiral..........when I get back,  it out to the garage.  I don't want to sand this in the house.  perhaps I can do some of the hull work while I'm out there  :)    pictures later........if I survive!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good looking chute.  Is that where Santa will come out?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

yea.....Santa........."he got the magic dust!" ;).......hee.....hee

thanks Bob....John,  and all you who hit the like button.   ohhhhh,  what it looks like now ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Popeye, I am now back up to date on trhis build. Great workmanship , Beautifully done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

All caught up on your log Popeye. Looks to me like you're having way too much fun here mate. It really does look like a fun build for sure. Nice job.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

thanks Pete.........had a look at your Volvo........very nice ;)    didn't get to see it all though,  my dog Gibbs is bugging me to go outside {I'll look again later  ;) }

thanks for the good word  :)

thanks dave.......had a chance to bring it out to the garage.   got it's first filler.....but since filler is softer that the actual wood {basswood},  I began to see some scalloping starting to occur.  I got a handle on it by cupping the sandpaper in the palm of my hand,  and did some full length strokes.....light pressure.  I gave it a shot of white primer.   it still need a bit more in the way of filler and sanding,  but the shape and contours look a lot better.   got some pictures of it,  I should have them up shortly  {I hope}    thanks for the good word

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: