Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

looking good Popeye,

all three are claiming build Progress, somehow like the bird babies with their beaks wide open when Mama bird brings on some Worms to the nest (Holiday Harbor). You must be gaining quite a lot of spin off experience from the foreward pushed "Andrea Gail" build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I knew I could coerce you into doing it....lol....Congrats are in order Sir! The first of our group to get 3 Stars. I am honored you did it on my post and my watch! lol....seriously though, they're shaping up nicely - fun project...and a Salute!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

it took a couple of days to get through the last bit of progress........quite a bit of thought and "what if I" going on there ;)  when the Jingle Belle was dry and I could put it back into the stand,  the progress continued.  yea........painting will have to wait now.......right now,  it would be too fragile to do any masking to her.  the helm side wall panels were given the rest of their shape.

post-612-0-84996500-1415287772.jpg

the windows were cut out to mirror one another

post-612-0-08903200-1415287849.jpg

at the stern,  the frame for the  "warming house"  began.   supports are cemented along the transom bulwark.  for all you fire officials out there......yes,  there will be 'fire stops' in the walls.  they will be built into the base of the wall panels,  just above the bulwarks.

post-612-0-72997400-1415288146.jpg

post-612-0-83327100-1415288174.jpg

shimming the front wall beams make them more perpendicular,  than to follow the bulwarks.  the difference will be hidden in the design.

post-612-0-62996000-1415288324.jpg

with the side wall windows cut out,  they were cemented in place.  a front panel was also added,  and the comical name was also removed.

post-612-0-39996600-1415288728.jpg

post-612-0-65373800-1415288748.jpg

I'm kinda liking how those capping rails compliment how this is looking.......I hope I can keep them this way.  meanwhile,  back at the 'warming house',  the box is taking shape.  due to the shape of the stern,  it won't be a square box,  but it won't be off by much.

post-612-0-38049000-1415289407.jpg

post-612-0-10909400-1415289441.jpg

the main table has been allotted for progress on the A.G. and the tree boat.  this is all the space I have to work in on this table.  keen to note that on such a crappy table,  I decide to use a cutting board....but if you look close at the board,  you'll see some strips I'm bending for the cap rails of the A.G.

post-612-0-41056400-1415289762.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Nils.......a very interesting way of putting it.  the Andrea Gail spin off from this build, is more of an expansion of what I've already learned.  I started bashing these kits,  from the very first one......which was an old kit to start with,  not even laser cut.  there are a lot of folks that have built from kits,  later to turn to scratch builds,  which are more challenging and thought provoking.  having built so many car models {plastic},  I saw how many spin offs one can make using a particular car body,  and wondered if this could be applied to this medium as well.  there are some kits out there,  that other ships can be made,  beside the intended subject.......some even supply the parts to do so.  it made me look at the concept of  'the kit'......which led to the parts panels,  in which to recreate other hulls.   the hull is the basis needed in which to start with.   it can then be fitted out the way you want to,  to build the ship you intend it to be.

the fantasy builds are nice........but the Andrea Gail pushes the envelope a bit further,  because I'm using the instruction sheets for the model,  in which to build it.  when I stood back,  after finishing the planking of the Boulogne Etaples,  the Andrea Gail was the first boat that I thought of.....in terms of the hull construction.   the only flaw was the stern......it needed to be a little longer,  and squared {not tapered}.   I was going to create another hull, making these changes,  but things being what they were....and the pull to do it being too strong,  I just took the third hull and started on it.   it's not perfect,  but I think I achieved what I set out to do :)

I think you'll like this Nils.......I've been wanting to do this for a while now.  here they are all together......the Boulogne Etaples,  the two Holiday Harbor builds,  and the Andrea Gail.   to replicate just the hull and go in the fantasy direction,  one can let their imagination go wild.  but,  to create a known ship,  the direction changes to a more focused build.  personally,  I don't think the focus changes all that much,  it's more the scope of the build.   it's bash 'n scratch at a whole new level

post-612-0-65115300-1415295874.jpg

the Jingle Belle,  Andrea Gail,  tree boat,  and the Boulogne Etaples

post-612-0-07002000-1415295942.jpg

post-612-0-14858700-1415295956.jpg

the Boulogne Etaples.........

post-612-0-63165700-1415296003.jpg

.....to the Andrea Gail......a dramatic change fro the original kit.

post-612-0-36113300-1415296066.jpg

I still have a ways to go in acquiring the level that the more experienced modelers have.....I have doubts that I ever will.   I will assure you though,  that I'm having a lot of fun trying ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks John.......I was amazed at what was in the camera :)   I watch quite a few builds.......kit and scratch..I try to use the like button as much as I can.   so many wonderful builds here........it didn't stop the number from rising.  I'm glad to have seen your recent progress,  very impressed with what your doing :)  keep it up ;) .........and thanks again for looking in

thanks to all those who hit the like button..........and Carl,  how did you know what came home with the thinner the other day.......thought I'd keep it a secret  :D    I haven't even gotten into the ribbons and bows yet.......hee.........hee!  which reminds me.......I'd better get them off the dining room table before the admiral gets home.  you should have seen how big her eyes got when she saw the scope of what I've been up to!    ..........and that's not even ALL the builds put together......she'd shut me down for sure!  :)  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

Wow !

I was somehow having 3 ships in mind, now its even 4 on the slipways, what a Project !

I wish further good success and much fun with your respectable fleet Popeye.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

They're coming along nicely. Still don't know what you are going to do, but if I knew it won't be fun.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

That's a nice bunch of models you've got there.....

Any idea when something is finished ?  ;)  ;)

Let me guess...jingle bells before Christmas ????? :D  :D

Sjors

That's not a hobby.......it's a fleet.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I think Keith is going to owe everyone a keyboard.   post-76-0-20911800-1415323497.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

They are all looking quite handsome Popeye.  I'm blown away by your inventiveness and imagination.  Lovely work my friend.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

well Keith........I think you got my 2014 builds in review  already figured out  :)   yup.......that's the rest of them.  I hear you Sjors.....when will you see a finished one.  with how fast the year is winding down to the end...I would say.....none.  but,  I can see it's going to be a very active 2015.  I can't very well say the heck with it,  and finish any of them without all the bells and whistles I planned to put into them.  that wouldn't be any fun at all  :)  

thanks to you all for your kind comments and likes.   I will continue to amuse ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yes, your fleet is definitely growing. Quite an Armada there. Looking goog my friend, keep it up.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

thanks John.......last day of my work week.  should have some progress up soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

come to think of it John........I do have a couple of pictures in the camera.   the 'warming house' has been a thought on my mind.   I had a chuckle........I thought of....of all things.......Jed Clampett's cabin,  from the TV series.   yea, I'm right on it  :)     then I thought about ships that have  'badges' on their stern galleys.

I like the idea..........I would have to install bay windows on both sides.   but.......what about the transom wall?   on most contemporary ships,  these are flush mount windows........I'm thinking.........I'm thinking  :)

here is what I have so far on the Jingle Belle..............

post-612-0-06865600-1415671955.jpg

post-612-0-23757000-1415671965.jpg

I still have to create the front wall.    I hope to have more on this soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Always good work, but seeing them lined up like that really is incredibly cool looking.  Such tight work!!!

Always a mystery trying to figure out what you are going next but never a dissapointment!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Adam  and Ed  :)    I had done a group shot earlier.........when they were just a bunch of frames and not much to look at.   I really need to put some serious moves on the tree boat hull and get her up to speed with the others.   I'm still thinking about where to drill the holes for the wiring on the deck.   the other week,  I was lurking around the dollhouse dept at Hobby Lobby,  and I was impressed with the electrical accessories they have for them.  I can buy a complete kit.......it has the transformer,  plug in outlets,  wiring,  along with a few other goodies.   I kinda like the outlets......... I can fit one of them into the hull,  so there won't be a wire coming out of it.  I can simply plug in the power supply whenever I want to light it ;)   judging from the lighting used,  there is little threat of heat generation,  so I'm thinking that this might be a viable solution.   I saw some really neat sconce lights.....hey.....maybe even a chandelier!  now.....wouldn't that look simply charming!  :D  :D     >jacket time.........maybe<

"they're coming to take me away......................ripping the sawdust from my teddy bear!"

thinking aloud..........the bulwarks are a reasonable height.......the badges can be framed in.  the upper and lower profiles must be made so all of the windows are the same size.  I had planned to do kind of a stained glass thing,  not allowing the interior to be seen.  but, for this much visibility,  I really don't think I'm going to get away with it.    yech........I hate wallpaper,  as much as I hate stucco  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye never ceases to amaze.  We should see quite a number of additions to our 'Completed Ship Gallery' next year   :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Popeye,

You have to work faster on the Jingle belle......

Christmas in not far away !!!!!

And Santa wants a finished ship !!!! :D  :D (I always thought that he was coming with a sledge....)

But it looks nice so far.

Sjors

"Warming room"???? Why do feel that there's a hot tub in this ship's future?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Keep on with Napoleon XIV song you mentioned, followed with Imigrant song, Highway star and simillar, obviously good for working tempo ...

;)

Classic, ballads and radio dramas I listen last month during work are not good, and my work goes slow. Dont make this mistake.

Amazing work in front, beside and after you, my friend, spiced with very clever and interesting words and thoughts

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Popeye never ceases to amaze.  We should see quite a number of additions to our 'Completed Ship Gallery' next year   :)

Augie,

Next year it will be the 'Popeye Gallery' ;)

Looking good spinach-sailor. You keep on surprising us with your quick mind, and creativity!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

What are you doing for the Holiday's Display this year, since we have to wail another year to see these guys in full dress iniform?????

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Hi Joe. I'm excited because now I can actually see your recent photos! The reason being that our download speeds were limited because we went over the internet limit last month. Now things are back to normal and I can see where you're up to.

Great work and I look forward to more progress photos.

All the best!

Hmmm, a warming room - - - potbellied stove, warm spiced apple cider, toasted chestnuts and marshmallows  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

there you go!!!!   piet has the right idea!  ;)  

sorry Mark......the hot tub was removed for the holiday season.  it will be re-installed towards the end of spring,  so it can do the "midnight rendezvous" tours for the summer  ;)    XXX ..........>sizzle<...........too hot!  :)

no.....no music Nenad........I just listen to what comes out of my son's room...that's scary enough.   Highway star.....is that the Deep Purple version?   one of my favorite groups!   I'm a bit of a metal head,  but I also listen to country and some classical.  anything that sounds interesting,  I will try and practice my bass to.   I also found out that bass and CA don't mix  :)  {damn.......I lose more strings that-a way!}

Joe?.........no Joe here.........just me an'  Chester,  Omega  {besides that, I'm a Curly fan....errrr,  with a touch of Steve Martin and Chevy Chase }  ;)      thank for the kind comment,  and glad that you can now see the pictures

....and to the rest of you fine folks....an big thanks for following along.  I know it's a slow process.......and yes,  they won't be done for the holidays this year {due in part to my clepto - builditis},   but I'm hoping that by next year,  I'll be popping them off like the octo - mom! {which is funny,  because that's about how many I have on the roster}  :)  I should have an update soon! ;)

Denis

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: