Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

Steve, Omega, thanks for your great comments here is a link to an overall shot at the Port Carling boat show where I first saw a picture of Skipjack.

The Port Carling boat site includes a lot of pictures of the classic wooden boats, Skipjack is near the bottom half of the pictures and this Gem near the bottom of the page.

It would be fun to visit the show and see some of these boats in person, but i am lucky enough that Roger is being very helpful in sending me pictures and taking measurements of various details for me.

This is Skipjack's engine that I also propose to make.

post-202-0-86258200-1413391755_thumb.jpg

And an overall of Skipjack in her boatshed.

post-202-0-39142600-1413391757_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I know you're a master machinist and builder but at 1:8 sale getting a motor like that running is going to be tricky.   :)  :) 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

but at 1:8 sale getting a motor like that running is going to be tricky.

I agree Bob, that is why I cut my teeth on projects like this and this

I am up for the challenge I figure it will be about as tricky as building this was.

post-202-0-71667000-1413409884_thumb.jpg

When I was 17 I built a working overhead valve internal combustion engine model using off the shelf bits and pieces. it was crude but it ran. I have learned a few things since then though so it should be fun, I am glad that I did not choose one of those large runabout racers with the big engines though, Like the one in the Gar runabout I posted on the other thread.

today I finished the molds and mounted them

post-202-0-21096000-1413410441_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-52709200-1413410442_thumb.jpg

Two of the cross beams were not exactly extruded square so I had to add some .008 shims to counteract for it, to get the mold to be square with the base.

post-202-0-74101300-1413410443_thumb.jpg

Also cut a wider piece of the Castello for the keel, since it is only 17.3 feet long I wanted to make it out of a single timber.

post-202-0-93341200-1413410444_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all who "liked" the last entry.

Michael 

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hi Mike. Did I read it right...are you actually going to build a running/working engine as well? Amazing.

Challenges like that are so far out of my skill level, not to mention comfort zone, that I can't even begin to comprehend the complexities involved in getting the motor to work.

Thanks also for the photos of the actual Skipjack. I can see why you chose her as your subject to build.

All the best!

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Omega yes you read that right I will make an operational petrol engine for Skipjack.

Michael

Mike

When we opened the restored 1869 Saugerties Lighthouse back in 1990 we had, on loan from the Elco Electric Launch Co, an Elco electric launch very similar to the one in your photos above that ferried visitors to and from our Lighthouse during that summer/fall season.  Elco as you will recall is the company that built the WWII PT boats, amongst other Yachts. The company is still in existence about 25-30 miles north of me in Athens NY. The photo below is one of their electric launches, similar to the one they loaned us.

Looking forward to seeing your completed model.

LEAF%20AND%20JIM%27S%20smcs%20rev.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

Jack , thanks for the picture of the Elco launch these early launches were just so elegant, I can see why so many are preserved and cherished.

Thanks again to all who posted likes.

Michael

Well for some reason I am apparently in a country that is FORBIDDEN from seeing the Port Carling sites ?

That is the message I get.

The launch is absolutely beautiful and I know you will do it justice, I am blown away by the fact that you intend to make a working model engine for it too.

I am glued to the chair for this one.

Steve

Thanks for all the likes.

Steve Thanks for the kind words, the proof will be in the pudding.

I began cutting the keel and stem today

I did not have any paste to glue the paper to the Castello so I did a test with the speedsew and it worked and the stuff works like rubber cement, and rubbed off the wood leaving no residue.

post-202-0-66362600-1413516157_thumb.jpg

used the bandsaw to rough cut the keel

post-202-0-60579300-1413516158_thumb.jpg

and the jewelers saw to cut the stem

post-202-0-85727800-1413516159_thumb.jpg

then used a 3/4 inch paring chisel to rough down the stem before gluing it to the keel for final shaping.

post-202-0-68226000-1413516160_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-87354900-1413516161_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-82079400-1413516162_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-25618600-1413516164_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-40134200-1413516165_thumb.jpg

There is still some final paring to do between station 1 and 5 but it is shaping up well. I can see why now the preponderance of Castello used in model boats, this is the first time I have used it and I'm lovin' it, what a joy to carve.

post-202-0-32093400-1413516166_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-77235600-1413516167_thumb.jpg

I will leave the stem for now and get the stern fitted, after that I will add the keel plate then shape them together for the garboard, once that is done I will be able to attach the assembly to the station bulkheads on the frame, then the ribbands for the ribs.

Michael   

Edited by michael mott

The keel is laid and looking good.  Good start.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Bob, I roughed out the stern today and glued it to the keel.

first pic show the patterns on a piece of 1/2 inch thick Castello. The stem was curved enough that I thought it best to scarph a couple of pieces rather than cut it out of one piece.

post-202-0-40091900-1413584745_thumb.jpg

Glued to the keel

post-202-0-75342100-1413584746_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-06822800-1413584748_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-60166300-1413584749_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-00300500-1413584751_thumb.jpg

Before I finalize the carving of the sternpost I will add the keel plate.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Hi Bob the plan is to go for the make and break. I have watched a few Video's on the web of some of these old marine engines and they are really neat to hear in operation.

Thank you all for the likes.

Michael

HI Michael,

That's exquisite timber; is that glue oozing out cross-linked PVA?

I had a nice putt-putt & the flywheel weight was obviously important to it's smooth & slow running. But isn't the weight of yours going to be proportionately quite tiny in scale? This will present a challenge. If the scale is 1:8, the weight will, I think, be 1:8 cubed or about 1:500 … ? 

Is this one 2 stroke? 

HI Michael,

That's exquisite timber; is that glue oozing out cross-linked PVA?

I had a nice putt-putt & the flywheel weight was obviously important to it's smooth & slow running. But isn't the weight of yours going to be proportionately quite tiny in scale? This will present a challenge. If the scale is 1:8, the weight will, I think, be 1:8 cubed or about 1:500 … ? 

Is this one 2 stroke? 

Good question as weight is not scaled like length, as you say it is much less than 1/8

For anyone who doesn't understand consider a cube which contains 8 litres of water, to make it 1/8th scale you don't just remove 7 litres because this will only make it 1/8th in depth. You also need to remove width and length until they are 1/8th of the original measurement. so 8 litres of water weighs 8kg but at 1/8th scale it would weigh 0.0156kg. Hence my 1/8th scale rc Land Rover which weighs 3.5kg is about correct to scale even though the original weighs 1800kg not 28kg.

The really tricky question is will the required weight of the flywheel scale down proportionally to the work it has to do?

Or should I just sit back and enjoy what is sure to be a stunning build?

Mark and Steve, folk have been building model internal combustion engines for years this page illustrates just a few

and here is a water-cooled one

2s-img1.jpg

I don't think I will have any trouble getting it to work. Mine will look a lot prettier than this one though. I am presently researching the Buffalo 3HP motor.

there is a lot of very interesting information in this book

Mark the glue is LePages Carpenters glue.

Thank you all who took the time to read the last entry and for posting the like.

Michael

Mark sorry I did not answer your question about the glue, it is LePages Carpenters glue. thanks to all who posted likes .

today I joined the keel plate to the keel with some 3 inch screws, first I marked the station positions on the plate and the keel, I don't want to glue them together just yet. I am going to do the rough shaping of the plate and the stern post first.

post-202-0-89887700-1413871785_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-12912000-1413871787_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-50964800-1413871788_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-85737000-1413871789_thumb.jpg

The stern post is a little more complex than the stem so I am proceeding very cautiously.

post-202-0-12754700-1413871792_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-38158300-1413871793_thumb.jpg

I noticed that whole assembly has straightened out a small amount, about 1/32 or a 1/4 inch scale size. I shall have to make sure when I do the final gluing that the curve is maintained.

Michael

post-202-0-91002600-1413871790_thumb.jpg

Michael,

Some very fine work as usual. Looking forward how she will develop further, and further.

Building at this large scale is like drawing large: Errors or mistakes are shown more easily. You really set yourself a task!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I had no idea you were still working on the beauty :)    had no idea why I haven't seen any updates,  until I realized it wasn't in my watch list.

you in there now...........by golly!  ;)   very nice work in laying the keel so far,  and I'll be very interested on how you build the engine. 

have you given thought as to how you will do the fuel / spark deliveries?   too bad a lawn mower engine is too large a scale.....you could scoff the magneto and carburation systems,  and make life easier :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Carl, thanks yes, the issues of errors are very clear, the differences are similar to those that I would encounter when making models commercially, errors were something that would cause problems further into the work and so were to be minimized as much as possible. When working freelance errors are less problematic because compensations are built into the design process sort of more like working on a painting that evolves as one makes brush strokes, and sees an opportunity to be explored further.

Denis, thank you for coming aboard so to speak, yes this is my foray into building a model of an existing boat, as best I can given the circumstances of it being half way across the country, which on the face of it is easier than one that only exists as a historic document and even at that one that cannot be verified in reality by a visual inspection of a boat or ship that might have existed in the past. I am fortunate in that I can communicate with the owner of this fine launch to verify details.

My intention is to make the engine function in the same manner as the make and brake engines of the time, which will no doubt be challenging as has already been alluded to by Bob.  This was brought home to me loud and clear yesterday while getting my Husquevana chainsaw running smoothly to cut some wood for the fireplace.

Michael

Hi Kees the clamp are these

09a0194s1.jpg

They are from Lee Valley the wooden ones I made.

Michael

Just a little more progress carving the sternpost on the port side, I am taking this very slowly.

post-202-0-35883800-1413950956_thumb.jpg

This feels like a tricky detail but to all you full keel three mast shipbuilders it probably looks like child's play. this is much more difficult than the keel on the pilot cutter.

post-202-0-55871100-1413950957_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-73908000-1413950958_thumb.jpg

Here is a drawing showing the keel at each of the building stations

post-202-0-43403700-1413951569_thumb.jpg

A sincere thank you to all who have pushed the like button, I really appreciate it.

Michael

Nice work, Michael.  That carving (a rabbet?) certainly looks tricky to me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Michael - 

Just catching up on my reading after the NRG conference.  Nice progress while I was away and very nice work.  The transition from the inside rabbet of the stern to the outside rabbet of the keel is not child's play by any measure, and you are making it look easy.

Looking forward to seeing the engine come together.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Michael,

I somehow missed that you were back working on this again, and you continue to astound. I love the framing jig, the plan to build a working engine... amazing. I need to pay closer attention!

Mark

Mark Taylor, Dan, Mark, thanks for your kind remarks, and to all who are following along with likes.

Today I learned a little bit more about the engine, and will be getting more pictures and measurements in November from Roger.

The Engine is a 4 cycle with Buzz coil ignition just like the old Model "T" This will make the build easier because I will be able to use simple fuel and not fuel with oil added as in a 2 cycle.

Michael

A small update

The concept drawing of the size of the engine and location.

post-202-0-20760500-1414091219_thumb.jpg

Michael