Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

Thanks for all the likes and nice remarks.

I did finish up the head today.

post-202-0-25190500-1417926171_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-90179400-1417926172_thumb.jpg

It was starting to bug me. I used needle files then 400 wet and dry 600 wet and dry 1200 wet and dry then red rouge on some swede side of a leather polishing stick.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Ah, but what he hasn't told you is that he's 8'6" tall with hands the size of serving platters!!

In all seriousness Michael, I would never have believed such machining was possible - having recently acquired a lathe I'm having problems turning things down to 0.5mm accuracy!!

As usual, I'm in awe....

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Ed and Row thanks for your kind comments.

I had a bit of fun today I had some gear-heads from some pretty old servomotors full of very tiny gears and pinions all with micro ball races. I stripped these apart to see if there was anything that I could use to fabricate the revers mechanism with.

post-202-0-95207400-1418005283_thumb.jpg

With a bit of careful re-machining a couple of pinions and one of the main drive gears I think I will be able to pull this off, the progress so far.

post-202-0-77866000-1418005285_thumb.jpg

Cheating a bit I know bit machining gears this small is pushing my limits. I knew there was a reason for saving those gearheads these last 35 years.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I'm interested in how this bit will come together.

There are some things that are worth keeping aren't there

If you were me, Micheal, you would probably have thrown those gears away a month or two before you needed them.

Ed

I've had moments like that........save something for so long,  then get tired of it hanging around,  and throw it away.   then to have the need appear about a month later.   truly a bummer moment ;)

I notice the clearance between the two gears.......the alignment of the shafts look a bit off..    is that a camera or dry fit thing?  to shim the engine would be a hard thing to do,  but you may be able to modify the well that the opposing shaft fits into.  I hope I'm wrong......or I'm just seeing an adjustment that you know you'll have to do  ;)     very nice progress

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Mark, Steve, Ed, and Denis thanks for your comments, and for all the likes.

Denis the picture shows the few parts that I am using just placed to get a sense of if they would work. I have since been working on the design of the reverse mechanism, for reasons of scale practicality, and to maintain some sanity I am working with the two pinions and the two spur gears and drawing a gearbox that will work.

The entire gearbox is covered with a protective shield (no doubt to prevent feet or clothing from getting snagged) on the full sized boat. So I am working with some drawings from the day showing how these gearboxes worked, and fitting in the gears that I have to make the mechanism work. 

The originals used a series of clutch plates and the forward /reverse lever either caused the outer casing to be rigid hence letting the internal planetary gearing to impart a revers motion to the prop shaft, or they clamped the prop shaft and casing together causing the whole body to revolve giving a forward motion. The vertical position of the lever caused a neutral position for the prop.

Here is a drawing of the progress of this design so far, I have re-machined the pinions already the shafts were pretty hard and it was nerve wracking to say the least.

today I am going to make the outer casing this will be brass. this will allow the gears to seat in brass giving a quasi bearing, similar to an old clock where the gears are steel and the clock plates brass.

post-202-0-26907600-1418152299_thumb.jpg

revers gearbox.pdf

As I say this is a drawing in progress and is a bit of a design build as far as the internals are concerned my goal is to have the external appearance to match the picture of the engine in the real boat.

Michael

What !? You don't have a Gleason Gear Cutting Machine in your garage, Michael !  (Just kidding of course). ;)

Many (and I do mean many) years ago, I was shopping in a department store in my home town of Rochester NY where Gleason is located and on the main shopping floor Gleason had set up one of the smaller gear cutting machines and was giving  a demonstration. The machine was cutting the beveled ring gear for a Sears Sewing machine. When the machinist finished cutting the gear he gave it to me. I have it on my key ring - well worn. It was interesting to see exactly how the machine worked - it did not cut each slot sequentially but rather stepped about 15 degrees (or so) and cut another slot then another step of about 15 degrees and another slot; when it finally finished cutting the final slot was adjacent to the first slot cut.  Photo attached below:

post-13502-0-72431500-1418158032_thumb.jpg

I am really impressed and envious of your machining skills. The engine is magnificent !

Edited by Jack12477

Shucks Jack, now you have spilled the beans Jude was trying to keep this present a secret :D

Michael

Now that's a machine ! Impressive !  Would be super nice to have that one in my garage.

Haven't kept up with my home town companies since I left there in 1968 even tho I still have family there - Dad, 2 brothers and 1 sister. Dad is 99 and going strong. He's very knowledge about Gleason's history. He told me once that Gleason was the only American company that was NOT affected by the Great Depression of 1929-1930.

Gleason offered me a job as a programmer when I got out of the Army but I didn't accept it because I took a more challenging programming job with "Big Blue" down here in the Hudson Valley and stayed for 40 years. We used to say we were on the "bleeding edge" of technology advances.

My only experience with machine shop was as a college freshman I was required to take a two semester Machine Shop course where our project was to machine a working micrometer from scratch. I still have the micrometer tho I don't use it much.

I'm really enjoying the engine build.

Thanks for the likes .

I did make the casing today and fitted the gears inside.

the gear for the prop through the end that will be shaped with the cone recess.

post-202-0-41839700-1418175525_thumb.jpg

The casing with the pinions and the drive gear which will be pinned to the crankshaft.

post-202-0-60646200-1418175526_thumb.jpg

The cone end with the pinions dropped in and the gears lined up for the casing to slip over.

post-202-0-77866500-1418175527_thumb.jpg

All dry assembled I also spotted three holes for some 0x80 bolts to ensure the casing and cone stay together and do not move relative to each other.

post-202-0-11439600-1418175524_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-08639200-1418175529_thumb.jpg

I did check the reverse by rotating the prop to see that it actually worked to this stage. still a long way to go to get it all mounted and working in situ.

It did work though so I am pleased about that.

Michael

Michael - 

Let me be the first to say how impressed I am - again.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I don't understand how this reverser works but that is one impressive bit of work.  Is there some sort of lever to put it into reverse? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think I get it Michael, I'm guessing forward involves one pinion "linking" the two gears directly while reverse involves the first pinion moving off the output gear and driving the second pinion which will engage the output gear.

I'm not sure my eyes would be good enough to work at that scale.

Dan, thank you.

Mark yes the drawing shows the lever, as the lever moves forward it causes the casing to be clamped. When the casing is stopped from revolving the drive gear rotates the first pinion which is in constant engagement with the second pinion (they are set in such a way that each pinion engages with only one gear), the second pinion drives the prop gear then in the opposite direction. when lever moves back towards the stern the casing is released from the band clamp and revolves, the pinions do not revolve inside the casing basically causing the drive and prop gear to be locked.

I took a short video this evening and it will be ready to upload in the morning showing the basic process.

Steve the above explanation should clarify the way it works.

Thanks for all the likes.

Michael 

Got it !

I was thinking it might work like a differential in a car and it pretty much does, if you turn one axle with the drive shaft stopped so the diff centre can't turn, the other axle will go in the opposite direction. Free the drive shaft and allow the diff centre to turn and both axles go in the same direction. Obviously in this case there is no differential action, just locked and free, reverse and forward

Does that sound right?

Michael,

Incredible work again. You keep on amasing your crowd. I'll stick to wind propulsion or a ready  to use (aka bought) engine. You are way, way, way out (above ..) of my leage

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

As promised the short video of the gearbox in action.

michael

Thanks Michael.  Here I was thinking the reverser was more like the one for a Lenco transmission as that's the only planetary transmission I'm remotely familiar with.  Not familiar with enough to tear down and rebuild, however.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fascinating, Micheal.  I don't know what else to say.

Ed

Thanks Michel for the video. I am still not sure how it works, but you can' t beat visual evidence. Your machining of this engine is fascinating to me.

Thanks everyone for the comments and Likes.

Its been a long couple of days working on the gearboxes, yes I ended up redoing the casing a couple of times over, I also opted to redo the inner stuff as well. Although the micro gears worked they were not as smooth as I wanted. I ended up using some 48DP "pinion wire" it is actually 10 tooth brass pinion, and is exactly 1/4 inch in diameter. this way I was able to go by the numbers and make the proper distances for the gears to mesh'

post-202-0-92860800-1418621119_thumb.jpg

Like this Video

In order for the gearbox to be able to lock so that the prop rotates forward there is a clutch that is splined, I have been wracking my brains working at finding a way to make a small spline. This morning as I woke up it hit me.

post-202-0-14194800-1418621121_thumb.jpg

Yup the trusty old allen head cap screw has a negative hex to accept the hex key, I matched up a 5/16 cap screw with some 1/4 inch hex brass. the steel collar will revolve in the base of the forward/reverse lever and will move about 1/64 to clamp the prop shaft to the gearbox causing the forward motion. the hex part will be pinned to the prop shaft, and a loose clamping collar will be inserted between the hex collar and the casing of the gearbox, when the lever is pulled back the hex collar will move forward clamping the case and loose collar hence locking the case to the prop-shaft

post-202-0-49355800-1418621122_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-80473200-1418621123_thumb.jpg

The revers is accomplished by clamping the gearbox inside a steel band which was made from some steel rings turned up and silver soldered together. As the gearbox is clamped the splined collar also releases the loose clamping collar allowing the gears inside to impart the reverse

post-202-0-79501500-1418621126_thumb.jpg

The rings were machined to shape using the mill and the lathe.

post-202-0-79338600-1418621842_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-54144500-1418621129_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-23498000-1418621131_thumb.jpg

When I cut the slot on the top of the band it automatically sprung to a smaller diameter which works in my favour because in order to open the band a wedge has to slide forward, this wedge is connected to the forward reverse lever.

It is getting there.

Michael

post-202-0-69574200-1418621133_thumb.jpg

Inventive work, I love it. You find what you want in other things like the socket head screws, brilliant!

The gearbox mark 2 looks very good, nice and smooth too.

Wow!! Just got back from 68 degrees north where everything seems to become sub-minature to find it can all be done in the comfort of a workshop!!

Michael, your ingenuity continues to utterly confound me, I really am beyond impressed - congratulations!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log