US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

@ Mark,

I feel like a king and now you have say it…..I'AM A KING !!!!!!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

@ Adriaan,

Don't show that smiley to my passengers, they don't want to come with me anymore…... :P

name-graphics-sjors-328505.gif

@  Adriaan,

Don't show that smiley to my passengers, they don't want to come with me anymore…... :P

you woudl have plenty of time for buildign then :P

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Sjors -  If I catch nothing over the next 3 days, I don't come back at all!  In that case you, as Senior Officer, are in charge ---- of EVERYTHING.

Be afraid. Be very afraid........

Sjors -  If I catch nothing over the next 3 days, I don't come back at all!  In that case you, as Senior Officer, are in charge ---- of EVERYTHING.

Lord of the Flies anyone? Or Yertle the Turtle (for those who remember Dr. Zeuss :P )

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks Ben.

No, haven't ordered yet.  No rush --- that lady won't be started until late-fall.  Besides, that will give them time to work out the kinks from the first run of kits :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

This is a series of one day trips so home each nite.  I don't have a laptop or cellphone.  I talk to the moose.

So far, fish are biting.  Or should I say THE fish bit.  Leaving now for last shot but weather is not cooperating.

But I did rig main yard stays last nite   Now THAT came out right!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

He my friend,

So the fish has listen to me  :D  :D  :D  :D

So I'm not alone at the forum….

And the main yard stays are on it also.

Then I think you know what is my next question……animaatjes-camera-1430383.gif

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Augie,

Oh sorry, I thought you were staying there for a few days.

That's why I found it so strange, Augie posting? Has he bought himself a laptop?

Lucky you for being able to alk to the moose.

And I'm glad the fish did bite.

Really looking forward ro your picture(s) of the main yard stays.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

And how WAS your conversation with the moose Augie? I'll wager HE didn't keep asking for pictures! :P :P :P

My guess is that Augie spoke to the moose, the moose spoke to the fish and they in turn found the oldest amongst the shoal and sacrificed it to Augies hook. :D  :D

Hope the last day went better for you mate, I understand that fish respond more to female pheromones, perhaps you should bring out the feminine side. :D;)  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

You may be right Mobbsie.  We caught a few but not what we usually do.  Ah well, it's a long season.

Today's moose was cavorting in the water, just having fun.  To be honest, I was glad there were no female pheromones swirling around or it might have gotten ugly  :D  :D :D .  They are really great to share an alpine lake with. 

Now for some shuteye and then back to work so you-know who gets some pictures (be a few days).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Not to turn this thread back into animal house, and because someone-we-know can only relate to photos, here's a shot of my fishing buddy yesterday:

post-56-0-51860200-1372938934_thumb.jpg

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Are you kidding, Sjors?

Moose fishing is the greatest!

Get your water skis on first though.... Before you cast your line out....Once hooked, those suckers can run for miles though.... So if you run out of lake.... You literally have to be "on your toes"

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Yes, it is an exciting sport. I just read an article about someone who set a new record catching a 1400 lb moose using only a 100 lb test line. He had to play him for over three hours before the big guy was wore out and finally reeled in.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

1400 lb moose!!! Boy have I been doing it wrong...I had to settle for a 2 1/2 pound rainbow trout...doesn't seem to measure up. What's the best lure for moose? :P  :D  :D

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

coining a phrase by George Bush........."not gonna do it.........."

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've heard they'll take anything.... Plugs, jigs, spinners... Although the big ones really go for Hula-Poppers...

It's also not unheard of to snag a fair sized one on a fly....

:P:D

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1400 lb moose!!! Boy have I been doing it wrong...I had to settle for a 2 1/2 pound rainbow trout...doesn't seem to measure up. What's the best lure for moose? :P  :D  :D

For adolescent male moose, best bait is a female.  You can figure out the reverse situation.  :D  :D

And I'll trade you 3 run-of-the-mill moose for one 2.5# rainbow anytime.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Yumm, Moose steak or stew.....very good and one of my favorite game meats.  I'll trade ya a 2# Blue Cat for some Moose.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Beautiful work on the rigging Augie!  I'm envious.   :cheers:

David 

Current build: US Brig Niagara

Completed builds:  Oseberg Viking Ship - Billing Boats

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The Phantom - Model Shipways

Next project:  Amati's Xebec

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?

I've heard trains are good moose lures as well.  They seems to take them head on.  

Anything with headlights really stuns 'em good... I don't know what it's like where you are, but up north you see a lot of big rigs fitted out with guards... Like the Aussi 'Roo Guards you see down there.... Don't know how well they work though.... Moose being slightly bigger animal...

Incidentally, to anyone not familiar with moose.... They are genetically designed to crash straight through an automobile's front windshield when struck... A good reason not to drive at night in some of the wilder places around here....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Prior to retirement, the last place I was assigned was in a country setting away from population due to the noise we generated and the need for security. I went to/from work at daybreak and dusk, just the right time of day for the deer to run. Over the course of ten years I hit six deer. Actually I hit three plus the three that hit me and lets not forget the German Shepherd I hit who was chasing a deer. After the third one, I considered them to be nothing more than large rats with long legs and potatoes for brains. The tree line was close to the road and by the time you seen the long legged rat running at full speed, it was too late to do anything other "than brace for impact" (I think I heard that before in a Star Trek movie). The last one I hit, my wife was with me (who has yet to see this fun event) and as the impact took place, she said "oh my god it's hurt" while I was yelling "DIE YOU SOB DIE," needless to say, she was not pleased with my response.

Last week I rec'ed an e-mail obituary where someone I retired with was hit by a deer (same general area) while driving his SUV. The deer was hit by an oncoming car causing it to go airborne right into his windshield killing him. His wife was with him at the time and was fortunate not to be injured.

Now, back to ship building...

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Moose, trout and deer.... anything not to do rigging? :)    BTW Augie.  That moose in the middle of the stream is probably why no fish. They didn't want to get stepped on. :P

I guess I've been lucky... haven't hit anything bigger than 'possum. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)