US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Great work Augie. Enjoy your fishing trip and we'll look forward to hearing your lies (er, I mean tales) when you return. :P

Well let me see if I can help you get to 80 pages before you are done! :P

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

You're making great progress Augue and Syren is looking great; just like the lovely lay of the sea she would have been.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well done Augie tweezer hands.  She's a real beauty.  Good luck on your well deserved fishing trip.  

Super job Augie, all the above superlatives and more are due here.

Enjoy the fishing mate, don't get your feet wet.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

lovely- ill be there - within a couple of years 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looks good Augie, when do you get back to work?

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Back in a day or 3 John.  Already screwed up the first set of anchor stocks.  I need a mental reset.  Also, one of my float planes almost sunk taxiing back to the beach yesterday......I might need to double plank her with boxwood and holly  :D  :P  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey Augie,

How goes the fishing. Are you catching enough to stock up the freezer?

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Fishing eh... hmm, not sure where you are but if you are fresh water; I could use a couple of rainbow's for a cookout coming up.   If Saltwater - some Stripers or maybe a nice Cod will suffice.  I will be eagerly awaiting delivery.  Oh, and you are free to stay and have some btw, is the least I could do :P

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Been a little slow this year for some reason, Larry.  We're going to change that tomorrow with a trip up to the high Rockies (10,000 +) where it's still cool and attempt to  corral the elusive Arctic Grayling.  Besides, I'm too tired to build after horsing around my 1/64 anchors and stocks all morning.  I was attempting to follow Ben's lead by using 20 coats of paint but I guess I'm just not cut out to get above 6 :D  :P  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sorry Adam ...... they all go back to keep growing.  I don't eat freshwater fish and the briny stuff left here 147,000 years ago.  But if you've got some fresh cod around I'll find you on Google Earth :)  :) .

Time for some Dullcoat!!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Get back here... you're 3 posts away from joining Sjors at the Commodore's Table... hmm... sounds like an 80's musical group.  :)

Ok.. have a good trip.  Take a picture when you get the lunker.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the well wishes, Mark.  No photos forthcoming.  Grayling are never lunkers ---- state record is 16" caught back in '01 (1901).

Oh well, as long as I'm here............................

Here is the beginning of the anchor assemblies.  I used some spruce stock I had handy to fabricate the wooden stocks.  I think they're an improvement over the castings supplied with the kit (also pictured).  The rings are from black 22 gauge wire --- I may serve them with thread.

The simulated iron bands on the stocks are heat shrink electrical insulation.  It gives a lot more texture than the suggested plastic tape.

post-56-0-03205800-1374017401_thumb.jpg

Ben --- I got to seven coats of paint on the anchors.  This leaves you as undisputed Champion.

Anchor buoys are next.  But off to bed early ----- be up at 0300.

Y'all stay healthy!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sweet work on the anchors, Augie. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Augie, the anchors look great and the idea to use shrink tube is innovative.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

you might want to hang on to the anchors you made the mistakes on...........looks like they would make great hooks!   I'd dare any fish to try and wriggle off-a those!  LOL!    they look great BTW.........deffinitely look the effort you put into them! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to all for stopping by.  The idea for the shrink tubing hit me last night.  With the various tapers on the anchor stock I knew tape wouldn't sit right.   I was thinking of using thread and then realized I'd used the tubing on the planes in a similar fashion quite a few times.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie: Just a note on the shrink wrap - I used it for banding my barrels and noticed it likes to slip. I just touched them up with Hypocement to hold them in place. The anchor stock has a much gentler taper and maybe won't need this addition but I thought I would mention it.

Dave

Edited by lambsbk

Anchor looks great. Congrats Comodore, wow a promotion. Have you ever noticed how the word Comodore is spelled quite similar to comode? I wonder if that's coincidence? Could be how promotions are aquired......

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Augie: Just a note on the shrink wrap - I used it for banding my barrels and noticed it likes to slip. I just touched them up with Hypocement to hold them in place. The anchor stock has a much gentler taper and maybe won't need this addition but I thought I would mention it.

Dave

Good thought Dave.  There is the tiniest droplet of thick CA applied just prior to the shrink and 2 coats of flat lacquer over the bands so they should be ok!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Does that mean Augie is up for the MSW "windbag of the week" award? :P

Only the week?  ;)

Congrats Commodore Augie!  The detail of your ships match the prestige of your rank.