Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

:wacko: Aïe! Reminded me of my taking out the bark of a branch with a cutter and suddenly seeing the blade in the middle of my thumb and blood dropping... just when I was thinking "don't do that! this blade towards your hand is not a good idea"... 'seems always obvious afterwards, doesn't it?  :rolleyes:  Well, I'm glad your injury wasn't more serious, Mark.

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

What a scary deal Mark.  I hope your feeling better soon.  

Thanks everyone.

No permenant damage should result other than some messed up fingerprints.  :)

A hand plane has to be ordered as I suspected.  Called several tool houses and the LHS.  No handplanes of any size.  :o   So, I'll toss an order to Lee Valley after some research.  Meantime, I'm reworking my jig to use clamps and holddowns to keep my tender bits away from that spinning cutter.

The experiment and learning experience continues.....

Edited by mtaylor
Typos due to bandages

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's the right and SAFE way to do it.   And I'm wondering if this bad and then the correct way should be posted in the tools section as a reminder...???

The jig and workpiece are properly secured to the mill table using clamps.

post-76-0-51045300-1368677408_thumb.jpg

The cutting bit is run down to correct depth and bingo.... no movement, a perfect cut at the perfect width.

post-76-0-90644300-1368677409_thumb.jpg

Sidestory.. I'm debriding the wounds earlier and applying fresh bandages and my Admiral saw the mess and winced.  A bit later she sees me working at this and says: "Nothing slows you down, does it?".  My response was the usual "It's just a flesh wound".   She looks at me and said: "No more Monty Python movies for you".   This from the lady who after surgery is back lap swimming....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your wood work is so clean and neat - just how do you manage to produce such clean sections and bits? what type of wood do you use?

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Sorry to read about your unfortunate incident Mark, I put these occasions down as salutary lessons to be learnt from. But the positive thing to come out of this is, others may learn from your incident. Although I am sure that was not the first thing on your mind.

I hope you heal soon.

Regards

Martin. 

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Ouch Mark, I could almost feel your pain! :o Still, you could consider yourself lucky that no bone was involved.

Just a thought: would it be possible to add extra lengths of wood on each side of the jig, as added support, then feed the timber as one long piece and just cut it into final lengths after milling? Just my two cents.

You made the right choice on the gun deck my friend, it looks great :)

EDIT: Oooops, I must have somehow missed your last post with the clamps, Mark, excellent fix Sir, the clamps worked like a charm B)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

with the job I do.......cuts and knucklebusting is common.......I do try to be safe.   the admiral and I have been together long enough,  that when I don't get back to it,  right after a zinger.......she knows it's bad.   I thank my lucky stars,  that hasn't happened yet ;)

one time I drilled a hole in the meaty part of the palm of my hand.........she was right there when I pulled it out.   sometimes,  we can be right,  for all the dumb reasons.    no typo........I've just gained a new level of common sense.

glad your mending well :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark.... was just ck'n in on your progress and find you've had a mishap.... happy to hear you're OK...

sometimes power tools have their own minds as how they want to do things, so please be careful ... your build is coming along nicely....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mark, I feel your pain. Hope all heals well and quickly!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks for well wishes and comments but it really is only a flesh wound.  Could have been more serious, but I got lucky this time.  Hopefully there won't be a "next" time. :)

Paul,

This particular part is pear.  Not swiss pear, but just plain pear.

Paul and Grant,

The bit is a Dremel router bit with a 1/8" shank. My mill spins it at about 12,000 rpm. 

Aldo,

Glad you saw the clamps.. I wouldn't want you to think you'd need to be coming the States to stitch me up.

I'm pressing on, a bit slower right now but still pressing on.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi mark. Just looked in and read about your incident! glad to hear all is healing well

Best wishes

Mark you are so right about 'it was a dumb thing to do'. I have had my share while wood working for several years.

post-246-0-71270500-1368971888.jpg

Hope you are getting along with a few scars.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi Mark!

What brand of brown-bottled liquid anesthetic do you recommend for shop injuries?  I should get some just for medicinal purposes! :D

I have some miniature planes but, my go-to plane for something like beveling corners is an adjustable mouth low angle block plane. The adjustable mouth really helps make clean precise cuts, and the extra heft glides through small pieces like butter. A v-grooved bench hook to hold the small piece would be handy.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Modeler12,

I did that on the same hand but the first finger, got in a fight and the saw won, smack down the middle. Guess it could have been worst, wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, and also not using a stick. Like I have said before I got lucky, now I know better. Now if I could just get lucky and hit the lottery LOL.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks for looking in everyone.   We all make mistakes.  The problem is, we (and I mean me) don't always learn from them. :)

Jay,

I'm currently enamored of Killian's Irish Red...post-76-0-20030100-1368996529.gif

As for small, planes.. I guess it's going to be an order to Lee Valley.  Now to check the spendable cash situation and decide...

Here's just a short update:  I only need 4 pumps, but milled 6 just in case.  I love the repeatability of the mill. I doubt if I could 2 looking exactly alike, much less 6, doing them by hand. The one to the extreme left, that red spot.. yep.. it's my contribution to the ship.  I'm setting up the lathe now to drill the hole in the end nearest the camera and also to turn down the grooves for the iron straps and also the lower end that needs to fit through the round holes in the main mast partner.

post-76-0-24628300-1368996570_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, your 'selfless contribution' to the ship modelling cause is much appreciated - now back to a little more of that 'Irish Red' but only after you do your work  :)

The blanks have come up very nicely; I agree with the repeatability achievable with a mill - without one, there is no way I could do it without many errors (and much more wasteage) :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Modeler12,

I did that on the same hand but the first finger, got in a fight and the saw won, smack down the middle. Guess it could have been worst, wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, and also not using a stick. Like I have said before I got lucky, now I know better. Now if I could just get lucky and hit the lottery LOL.

That's exactly how it happened with me and it is the first finger, the one that  is now more pointy. Tried to grab a small piece of wood while it kicked back and again the saw won the battle. It cut a nice kerf down the middle and now I have eleven finger nails.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I got the first one done.. actually I got two done, but the second went flying off into the ether.  Must be a space warp or time gate in my workshop....  post-76-0-42714300-1369022849.gif

First pic shows an overall side view.

post-76-0-68681600-1369022771_thumb.jpg

The next one is through a gunport to show it in position.

post-76-0-62591400-1369022772_thumb.jpg

I'm hating the macro.. shows every nick and bit of dirt....  I still need to make the pump rod.

And a confession.. that's not metal.  The straps are paper and the pipe is some insulation stripped from a wire.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

looking good Mark........resorcefulness is the mother of invention  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm currently enamored of Killian's Irish Red...]

Then there's "Taylor's Irish Red", illustrated in a later photo of pump blanks! :D

Nice work on the pumps Mark. Gotta love the mill for repeatability.