Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

I like the colour Denis as well, your comment about the long time paints have been sitting on your shelves, reminds me I have a drawer full of old Humbrol  the good old enamel type, and also some old floquil .

The Humbrol is amazing even after 30 years this stuff is still good in the unopened cans.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thank you George!   now it don't look like an old time movie !  :)

that is a funny thing about paints Michael.........I have.....or had if I used them up already,  a bunch of older Testor's paints,  from when I had stopped modeling at one time.   when I got back into it.....I found that most of them were OK.   I like the Humbrol and Floquil paints...if I remember right,  they had the numbers and descriptive names for the colors on the caps {humbrol did....can't remember what floquil had}.

I even had some of the old Pactra paints {another good enamel in my book}.  I needed some yellow at one time......bought some at Michael's craft store {not my normal haunt,  but it closer to my house}.   went to use it and found that it had skinned over!  I took the skin off and added some thinner.......I was able to save what there was of it.   to me......it really doesn't matter if it has a plastic or a metal cap, the 1/2 and 1/4 oz bottles,  can be a bit of a crap shoot.  these smaller bottles are more convenient for me....the 1/4 oz bottle works well with the Testor's E-Z airbrush outfit...the caps screw onto the bottles.   Humbrol,  floquil,  and the Pactra bottles can also be used.

are you paints in the 1/2 pint cans with the wide mouth lids?   better seal in my view........more of a plus for paint  :)     thanks for the good word.  I still have that third bottle on my desk......and I'm still shaking it.   I wish they had a automatic paint shaker for these little bottles.......I have quite a few of them to shake!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sharp paint job Pops! Dug out the cellar rather quick ... March did actually come in January!!! AND you found the right colour too!. Model wizardry ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Denis if you have a scroll saw you could always strap them to the top and run the saw for a few minutes. my humbrol tins are the tiny ones from the 70's

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

WOW --- that sure is GREEN!  I love it.  Sorry about the airbrush.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Denis,

Just catching up mate and boy have you ever shot forward. Your work is simply outstanding.

I have just one question, When do you sleep, if your not building your busy checking out other logs and that's gotta take a good bit of your time, then there's work, you do that sometimes too. ^_^

It's all to much for me, I'm going for a lie-down. :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Wow! I come back here after a few weeks and she's almost complete! B)  Fantastic work and build speed as always, Popeye ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

thanks for all the nice comments....my goodness,  I'm speechless!  the best compliment that a modeler can get,  is when the model takes on a life of it's own.  I'm glad I decided to do it now......than to keep it on the back burner for as long ,  as I already have.  I'm glad the your all enjoying the build,  as much as I am  :)

I read your recent post Carl.......I am glad to have made you smile.  your well being is just as important....I do hope that you'll be able to fins some time for yourself.    the whole color thing was spontaneous.......didn't leave much time for prep.  it's what the instructions called for....Emerald Green.......a very nice Irish color!    March...........and even......spring!  :D

that's a good idea Michael..........you so busy with your engine.......and you took the time to think up something for me :blush: ...you are just TOO kind!   of course,  I might have to take the rubber legs off,  so there will be more vibrato...I'll have to try it!

no worries Augie......as mentioned,  I have four other airbrushes :)   I should do a thread and show them......I'm sure there are others that have a favorite.  the green is only the beginning  ;)   thanks for the good word!

thanks Marty.......if I thought to do it right away......I could have used thinner on a Q-tip,  to remove most of it,  and later touched it up with the white primer.  I haven't decanted any yet......need to do that.   thanks for the good word.

it's OK mobbsie.......I have it all down to a science  ;)   my only draw-back so far,  is I catch up with my browsings.....only to look in the next to be buried again!   you folks are VERY busy builders :)   I wouldn't have it any other way!   I had a five day weekend.....I tried to do an update for all five day....and I failed on Friday :(   I'm getting back up to speed.......but I wish I was where I was at...like I once was.

thanks for the good word  :)

hello Michel......welcome to the Wharf! :)    always glad to see new folks.......thanks for the good word!

I don't know about Greenpeace Sjors........but yepper.......she's green.  hope to get more paint on her soon!  thanks my friend!  :)

thanks Aldo.........still a ways to go yet,  so there's still plenty to see.   glad to see your following along.....hope things are going well with you.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Wow, great progress Popeye and a good choice in the paint color  ;)   Looks like you and i are on the green kick  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

That green paint looks excellent! The over spray you mentioned is minimal and shouldn't take too much for you to fix. Great looking ship so far.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

what color green did you use Piet?   looks to be the same color.    want an even bigger laugh..........the bottom is to be hull red  :)  before I get to that though,  I need to modify the shoe......which means I have to  alter the size of the rudder I made.   thanks for the good word :)

thanks Patrick........it would have been better to touch it up right away.   now it has had time to dry.   shouldn't be too much of a problem though.   thanks for the good word......darn thing amazes me as well  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yeah man, uncanny!  The green for the lobster smack is Testors is 1124-RM1241_0611 GL. Green.  For the O19 it's Ace rust stop rattle can John Deer Green Gloss.  The red for the O19 is Rust-Oleum rattle can Satin Paprika.  The lobster kit has red for below the water line but I opted not to do that, Gwen thought it would be too much and distracting from the simplicity of the little sloop.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm glad you kept the colours rural: John Deer and Paprika (do paprika grow below the surface?!?), it really makes one feel at sea ... :P

As usual Gwen, as an Admiral, is right ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I have a couple bottles of the Testors paint Piet........looks to be the same color,  but I'll have to test.   as mentioned,  I have one more bottle of the Billing's.......I've been shaking the crap out it periodically,  ever since I found out about the problems with it.   I should also be doing it to the hull red I will be using.......I'll be checking ;)

thanks Lawrence.......I think I've gotten over the  'hump' ....progress should pick up now  ;)   I'll be happy to get all the sub assemblies cemented in place.....this will also be a giant leap forward!   thanks for the good word my friend.......I hope to do another dry fit soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis if you have a scroll saw you could always strap them to the top and run the saw for a few minutes. my humbrol tins are the tiny ones from the 70's

Michael

Michael,

what a smart tip, thanks for sharing this one. Guess it will also work when strapping the little paint can to the tip of an electric reciprocating jig saw for mixing up the paint.

Will try it out next....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Michael,

what a smart tip, thanks for sharing this one. Guess it will also work when strapping the little paint can to the tip of an electric reciprocating jig saw for mixing up the paint.

Will try it out next....

Nils

I have to agree...this was definitely one of those"lightbulb moments"...without a doubt!

ahhhh.......the thing we modelers think about..........and the foot tapping admirals that wish we were putting just as much thought,  in the things that are more 'down to earth'!  :)

got the prop fitted.....beginning to access what I'll need to do about the rudder.   I've done the shoe adjustment,  and I'm quite happy with how it came out.   then perhaps I can work on getting the bottom paint done ;)    update soon.....errrrr, of course after doing one of the thing the admiral's tapping her foot about..........snow clean up!  :)    we got it.........but good!   over two feet in my neck of the woods!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

before I go out there and brave what elements there are left after the storm,  I thought I'd show you what I did yesterday.........and something I did this morning.   the biggest Achilles's heel about this hull has been the stern.   putting on the cap rails cured the tapered look of the stern.......to look at her on the table now......you wouldn't see it,  unless you were looking for it.   another difference with this hull is the shoe position........it's a little further back,  so I needed to make the rudder a bit larger.  not that it matters....but even though the overall view of the model is a sight to see,  the topside always get the bigger review.

the way the hull parts were cut out,  left the shoe area square-ish in nature........probably something I should have done earlier,  but now that I'm out for blood {hull red in this case},  I need to flesh it out in order to do it.   a triangular piece of the same thickness was cemented in the inner nitch and sanded to shape.  another piece was cemented in place to create the outer horn.

post-612-0-60941300-1422456234.jpg

the prop was nicked from the Boulogne Etaples kit  {I have to order three others anyway}......the shaft was cut and cemented in place.

post-612-0-51692700-1422456478.jpg

post-612-0-69774500-1422456491.jpg

the prop was then removed.....the flash and weird stuff was sanded off...and then painted flat black.   a hole was then drilled through the horn,  and the rudder was fitted.

post-612-0-92686600-1422456669.jpg

not too sure about it........I may make another one and run the shaft hole further in.   I could try it to this one.....but I don't think I'd get a good outcome.  the hole for the hull end was drilled for the shaft to fall into.

post-612-0-86001000-1422456830.jpg

now.......here is what I did this morning.   I have been looking for pictures of the rigging......can't seem to get good ones.......but I have seen one thing.....there is cabling involved.  I envisioned painting like-size thread with silver {I've seen it in black}....I've seen it used to further the support of the trawl rig apparatus,  as well as to limit how far the stabilizer booms can be deployed.  I thought of how to do this........that's when I thought of these little guys.

post-612-0-79284200-1422457277.jpg

at each end,  there is a channel that thread can be run through.  I have that black beading thread,  but I want to get more of the larger size {I know I have some somewhere}  for now though......I'll use the medium hemp thread.......I have plenty of that,  and it's of a decent size for the task.   it was threaded through one side of the 'shackle'.

post-612-0-86015700-1422457502.jpg

....and then through the other side...

post-612-0-07853400-1422457534.jpg

the two ends are crimped together,  wrapped and cemented.

post-612-0-28849800-1422457632.jpg

now it can be painted......or even left as is  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"........that's when I thought of these little guys."  Nice use of the "little guys".  What are they and where did you get them?  They look useful for many things.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

they can be found in the bead / necklace dept at the local craft store.......in my case,  it's Hobby Lobby.   you saw how I used them on the trawl rig frame......eye bolt / shackle  {correct terminology?}.   as I thought further,  think of one of these babies lashed as a truss cable {?} down to the {I'd probably do another one at the stern bulwark} deck,  or something like it.    there is another pair that support the first section to the aft section.    I've seen other models,  and it looks as though they ran the line through holes,  or they tied them on.  even with simple eye bolts,  it might not look right.   I think by using these,  it will have more of a detailed look to the assembly.

as mentioned,  every time I go to the craft store,  I try to find stuff that can be used.   I'm finding the jewelry aisles to be quite a gold mine.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

every time I go to the craft store,  I try to find stuff that can be used.   I'm finding the jewelry aisles to be quite a gold mine.

I find that this is one of the more engaging aspects of going to the craft stores, What can this be used for? is the song running through my head.

Michael

thanks Carl  for the good word :)    I like to adorn my vessels with the latest bling  :D

gee Michael.......remember when they use to play that elevator music.    'pose to get ya in the mood!   got a doozie of an update tomorrow..........enough to make a grown man cry ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it started out as a good day........sun was out........storm was gone.   the clean up wasn't too bad.  in between it all,  and going to the store,  I did the painting I needed to do.   ..........all around the lower rub rail......

post-612-0-71733200-1422532250.jpg

adjusted the rails at the bow........I think it was the starboard side,  but it was a bit off

post-612-0-16693200-1422532330.jpg

even painted the main part of the cap rails.......I'll do the rest of it when I touch up the over spray

post-612-0-12839400-1422532399.jpg

the stand was painted and put the felt on it

post-612-0-76620700-1422532437.jpg

the one last thing,  was to set the rudder in place.   the brass rod that secures it was cemented in,  and a filler plug filled the hole.

post-612-0-21336500-1422532537.jpg

I did a bit more prep than the last time.   I decided to give the other Testor's brush a go.   I took the hose off of it,  got two new caps and siphon tube,  and pre - cleaned the caps,  to make sure they were OK to use.  I had two bottles of hull red........the first one I opened was dead....turned to gel,  and useless.   the second bottle was good......added three cap fulls of thinner and shook the heck out of it periodically,  until I was sure it was mixed good.   later in the afternoon,  the hull was masked up again, after I was sure that the rub rails were good 'n dry.   it was then brought to the cellar and given a light coat of primer,  to cover any bare wood,  and uniform the texture of the surface.   it was a waiting game for a little while,  to give the primer time to dry.

the time came....and I went down.........set up was very quick.  put the hose on the new airbrush........

connect the air supply.....pour some paint in a 1/4 oz bottle.......put on the spray cap......that's it.  the new airbrush worked great!  paint delivery was spot on........used almost the entire bottle on it.  I figured that I'd bring everything upstairs to clean it.......sprayed some thinner through it it start the process.   I'm not entirely sure how it happened.   I brought it upstairs the same time I brought everything else up.  I found a small scrape on the starboard side!  I should have let it dry before I attempted any type of repair........but....oh...no!  not me :(   I got out a very small amount of paint on a brush....from the cap,  and tried to brush over it.......but I didn't realize that there was some gelling on the cap....and smeared the area with it!  scraping with a razor blade made it worse.....and adding thinner to the mix sealed the fate!  I had totally botched the finish!

the port side.....

post-612-0-75611800-1422535382.jpg

the bow......

post-612-0-51227100-1422535422.jpg

the stern.......

post-612-0-33093600-1422535449.jpg

....and the mess........

post-612-0-49900800-1422535515.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Other than that blemish Dennis, it turned out perfect. Always hated when that happens. If it's anything like a car finish, you'll at least need to re-do that whole half of the hull, just like a door panel on a car with wide-open area around it. Spotting it in will show up in the repair. Hopefully, you'll be able to match the paint. I know after all that work it's got to be aggravating!  :(

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild