Andrea Gail by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - 1:20 scale

Good stuff, Popeye!  Hey, instead of a picture, how about a small section of a map to look like a chart of the coast?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice progress Popeye.  Sorry about the truck adventure, been there too and have the T shirt

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Denis,

Your really steaming ahead with this mate, having trouble keeping up with you and I'm only an observer. ;)

Your turning out some great work here Denis, just wish I could keep up.

Be good my friend

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks to everyone for the kind comments........and to all who hit the like button as well.   I didn't do much yesterday......didn't even look at the truck.   I need to find out what happened though......get that bad girl back on the road.  I'll keep ya in the loop as to what it is ;)

yea,  I'm leaning toward a map of sorts as well.........although......I do have that avatar size picture of a pirate lady,  that my friend Bob sent me.......very well done   >let's see that instant replay< :D    I did the pictures in the Nordkap as kind of a joke for my friend Tom @ Billing Boats {when he owned the store}.  I made two pictures for that build......Popeye and Olive dancing,  and a portrait of Poopdeck Pappy :)

I thought the sill was high enough John.......I can change that.   now that I look at it,  the entrance for the pilot house is higher......probably not a critical area for it to be done,  but that's OK.   the door just fits under there,  so I probably can slice some off the bottom and put on a new threshold........funny thing is.....I never took a measurement of how tall the door needed to be.....I just guessed!  :)

MAN!!!  you got a Tee Shirt for your troubles Piet!  I GOT GYPPED!  I did get frisked by the state trooper,  and got to sit in the back of the police car.......did you get to do that? ;)  I don't blame him though........with all the riff-raff we got running around these days.  thanks for the good word  :)

the doors don't open or close Sjors....I did one build with movable doors.......perhaps the next one  ;)

it's OK Mobbsie.........I'm already buried with build updates I haven't looked at yet.......still very glad to see your following along  :)  thanks for the good word :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I was just outside with Gibbs........MAN......we are having a BANNER year for snow!  it has been said that when spring comes around,  you see the Robin,  a bird known for it's charcoal back and orange red belly. 

I told the admiral that it wasn't true,  and proved it to her last year.   going out the door with Gibbs,  there were two really fat ones perched in the tree in the back yard.....don't think they're liking this storm one bit!  they were content to stay there.....that is,  until I threw open the lid on the trash bin and it slammed against the garage wall!   I could thrash my son right now.........the way our driveway is situated, the only way to plow it is to back drag the snow,  plowing it off to the side at the beginning of it.  he talked to the plow guy,  and he put the first run,  right up in front of the garage door! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

now I gotta shovel all that into the back yard!  Kevin won't be much help......he has to work tonight,  and he needs to sleep.   oh well!  {hope he doesn't do THIS again}.

anyway........I did do a little on Andrea yesterday  {a continuance of the day before}.   I have a decision to make concerning detail.   on the inside of the pilot house,  you wouldn't see the hinges for the door,  but I did add the door handle.   there will be no rivets around the door frame,  like the outside frame.

post-612-0-78281600-1423491928.jpg

here is my dilemma......in doing the rivets for the outside bulkhead door......it looks OK.......but, I'm wondering if painting them black,  makes the detail stick out like a sore thumb.   as I looked at it,  I was beginning to think that this detail should be a bit more subdued......perhaps by painting them over with white.  the dimples would still be there......but they wouldn't be so ........startling.   the window glass is what I mentioned earlier.   thanks to Peter Visser for this really great idea......he did this on his Zeeschouw build.  this is floppy disc film,  cut to fit.   it looked so cool,  I had to try this out.....this was the perfect opportunity.

post-612-0-06446000-1423492871.jpg

I will be beefing up the threshold.....per suggestion from John......thanks for that my friend  ;)   I even thought to do the windows in the pilot house with it,  but no........it would take some of the realism out of the build.   true,  it's just a model,  but it would deter the direction I'm going with it.  the pilot house door is assembled now.......just need to do the hinges and rivets.

post-612-0-26246000-1423493230.jpg

there are cases where added detail should be as pronounce as other forms of added detail.  what are your feelings on this,  as it pertains to your modeling style?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The robbins here don't have it even half as hard as you over there. No snow shov'lin' mate. I merely push the rain to the side ;)

Nice work on the door, though I would have expected one which opens to the outside ... On the other hand, John has gotta point too ... Difficult all those dillemas ... Mind bogglin' if not kripp'lin'. Ah well, these kind-a probs are in good 'ands!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

"...there are cases where added detail should be as pronounce as other forms of added detail ..."

Usual trap ... one detail "pull up" another, without end ...

Btw, do you maybe want to exchange your son for mine?

;)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Popeye, I would make the rivets more subtle, only because I can't see whoever painted those doors last working around the rivets. They would paint right over them, I would think.

Add a piece of trim from the bottom of the door to the deck.  It looks like the builder never completed the job or ran out of material.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

just came in from all that shovel'in.........what a workout!   we've also been looking up info on the water pump and timing belt for this crazy rig of ours........I'm very sure this is what happened to it.    more later :)

they both open to the outside Carl........I don't have all the hardware on them yet. :)

you are the first one I thought of when I wrote that Nenad  :D :D   I think we all have a hothead.......just at different heats :D    I think I mentioned something about detail in your build log........it's good to add detail,  but one has to be careful with it's degree,  or you may hide others,  or cause them to be too pronounce.  there has to be balance,  for the overall deck layout to flow evenly.

it's a very good point Tom.....one of the aspects that I thought about as well.  when I did plastic kits,  I would do this in order to add extra detail in some cases.   I followed the same rule......like when I made the ice maker.  here the detail looks too pronounce,  especially because the doors are not made to the plan specifications.   the detail looks good....but would look better if dulled down a little.   thank you!  ;)

the problem here Bob,  is that the door is already the height of the bulkhead.  I can cut down the door another 1.5 mm and add the thickness.......I probably should make it a little more pronounce as well......I don't think I have it coming out far enough ;)  the thickness of the piece I have on there now,  is about 1.5 mm  {1.7 according to Billings wood specs}.....I'll just double it,  and that should correct it.

thanks to all the nice comments.......now that I've had some lunch and rest,  I'm going to go and tear into this piece of work,  I call a truck.  hope to perhaps do a little more tonight,  and finish up on the doors  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

guess I don't have to worry about that Carl........tearing into it,  I found that everything I've done was all for naught!  the engine is junk!

....I have some lovely pictures of the damage!   >just in case< :angry:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

I kind of read between the lines that you wrecked your truck , I do hope that you were not hurt, the truck can be replaced but not you. My Admiral and I do hope that you are OK and will soon return to your old ship yard in fine style. Just came looking for an up date on your build log and find all of these mixed messages, we sure do hope that you do come out on top,                                                                               ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Well said Lawrence! Hope all's well, Dennis.

thanks Lawrence......no......no wreck or anything...just broken down.   turns out that there is more engine damage than meets the eye.  I have it at a facility at the moment........and so far,  they have confirmed everything I've thought about this truck.....and more!

I feel that I not only bought a lemon........but a reconstituted lemon! {the admiral laughed when I said that to the guy over the phone}

I appreciate the concern......I yam OK.........jes' fe-um'in 'bout what I've learned!

thanks Lawrence and Patrick  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did manage to do a little at the table......a nice diversion from shoveling snow and truck issues.   I waited til there was something worth reporting........it's not much.   taking cue from a few of the thoughts collected here,  doing the rivet work in white confirms the logical approach.  the rivet work was done on the pilot house entrance.

post-612-0-08195000-1423745324.jpg

the vent was cemented in place as well.   there was also the suggestion concerning the threshold of the main bulkhead entrance.......more thickness was added to it.   trimming the threshold flush to the frame on one side,  the bottom of the door was measured and cut off.  the door was made with little to spare,  in relation to the height of the bulkhead.

post-612-0-83961300-1423745703.jpg

on the pilot house,  bits for the hinges were added,  and then painted.

post-612-0-99886400-1423745799.jpg

the same was done to the main bulkhead entrance......the flat black decided to become solvent again though....second touch up needed.

post-612-0-40565200-1423746089.jpg

touch up was done around the cap rails........and the over spray in the port side forward corner was taken care of.   I still need to do the section of cap rail under the right side forward corner.

post-612-0-05916300-1423746205.jpg

then I can do the scuppers.  the bulkhead entrance was set in place for a look see

post-612-0-57757200-1423746311.jpg

then I thought I'd put a couple of other aspects in the mix.......figured it might be interesting to see.

post-612-0-10608300-1423746423.jpg

soon.......this and hopefully a lot more will be permanently cemented in place.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Sjors and John.......it will look better when I can get the rest of the part I have ready on her  ;)

thanks to all those who hit the like button!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I like your work! :)   you have a way with plastic.......which is a 1-up.........you can imitate steel better than I  :D  :D   I love the wooden ship, but again.....there is style and grace with the steel ship as well.  I also think that there are other lesser known ships,  that are worthy to be modeled.   there is a challenge in that...don't cha think?   this build is a dual experiment

1)  using a hull of similar construction,  and create an entirely different vessel  {making use of those parts panels from kits}

2)  using known kit plans to scratch build a model from them  {putting some of the ones I have to good use}

I appreciate the kind comment........now if I could only learn to weather like you do ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finished doing the touch ups around the deck,  and I began cementing  in place the sub assemblies I've done so far for the build.   first to add was the rest of the smaller railings and the ice machine.

post-612-0-63796400-1423963047.jpg

the portholes were dug out of the box and Testor's window maker was used to fill them in.   when this dries,  it will become very clear.   the bollards were painted as well.

post-612-0-91489100-1423963298.jpg

the main deck entrance was next.......the touch up around the port side forward corner came out quite well.......even the small section of cap rail was done too.

post-612-0-60831400-1423963438.jpg

the bollards were then added to the deck.

post-612-0-29604000-1423963493.jpg

the fore deck railings were cemented in at this time.   I hadn't checked to see if the black box I added to the bow would be in the way.   glad to see they were a good fit.

post-612-0-61707300-1423963665.jpg

post-612-0-93222000-1423963679.jpg

time to add the rack / podium to the build.......I believe I've done everything.  whatever I've missed,  I can add still ;)

post-612-0-51063000-1423964160.jpg

post-612-0-25087300-1423964191.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I still need to do something about those crack lines.........have no idea what the shadow is in one of the pictures.  made me go look at her in the light......I can tell ya  ;)

I had finished cutting out the gauge decals for the dash

post-612-0-33525200-1423964572.jpg

they were added and the ships wheel as well

post-612-0-49950900-1423964643.jpg

the pilot house was finally cemented in place........took care of most of the foredeck crack line.

post-612-0-38731400-1423964804.jpg

post-612-0-27718200-1423964825.jpg

it was a bit of a trial,  but I got the dash in place.  pretty tight tolerance,  and the framing I put around the top edge didn't help either.   I thought about the front windows.   I simply took an oversize piece of clear cello and slid it between the dash and the inner wall.   then the dash was pushed the rest of the way to the wall,  trapping it in place.

post-612-0-74308500-1423965161.jpg

I think several hours has passed since I did the portholes.   I may have made a couple a little too thick......I've had this bottle for quite some time...it might be getting old.

post-612-0-30051900-1423965346.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking nice Dennis. Didn't know about Testors' Window Maker. That'll come in handy for the berthing deck lights in the Connie. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nicely done, Popeye.  That dash is wonderful and everything is coming together beautifully.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice progress Popeye.  Dashboard looks great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

The details look great Denis, your work puts a smile on my face.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.