Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

the best laid plans on mice and men........nothing to do,  but repair it.   letting it dry a while longer,  I went over the smear with fine paper..........still a bit too soon..........so I waited a bit longer,  and then hit it again with the paper.

post-612-0-32476400-1422536361.jpg

I fussed with it a bit longer.......then took her back down stairs to re shoot the area.   the paint is still fresh, but it shows promise.   as it cures,  the color will deepen,  and will hopefully hide the defect.

post-612-0-19367700-1422536827.jpg

when I was more sure about the repair,  I removed the masking.  this is probably a half hour later in the drying time.

post-612-0-69528600-1422536906.jpg

with more time added to it,  I could put her on the stand for these two.   I will flip her upside down again for the over night.

post-612-0-30563500-1422536990.jpg

post-612-0-87477000-1422537003.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sorry about the mishap Popeye.  But now she's looking pretty sharp.  I guess we won't be hearing how she looks too 'white' anymore  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks for the good word Carl and George.......it's what I get for bringing her up too soon......especially with other stuff in my hands.  if I had just left her down there a bit longer,  but with the temp in the cellar being rather low,  I didn't want to chance a slower drying time.  I took a picture of her this morning........you can just make it out.

post-612-0-71168200-1422537819.jpg

yea......I could wait a couple of days,  re-sand the area,  and do another shoot......but I am out of this paint,   just enough for touch ups.   it's rendered insignificant now........but with close inspection,  it can be seen.

I dunno.........I'm still up in the air about it.........I may just leave it as is ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Knowing you, you'll experience it as a hughe blemish on your pristine work. You'll be sanding and spraying it all over again. You'll even get new paint to do it. I might be wrong, it just may be that I might be wrong ... :huh:

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

paint is funny George........if you look at one of the pictures,  it looks like the 'skin'  got pulled back around it.  this is what paint actually is,  a skin.   pulled back like that......via sanding,  it looks like an injury..there is swelling.   looking at after pictures,  you see the swelling slowly disappear.......now to see it,  it has to be at an angle.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well actually, I'm not to familiar with these acrylic paints on models, but on a car finish, lacquer can be spotted in, but enamel can't be without being visable to some degree. Like you say, right there up close, you can see it, but in the pics, it looks fine.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

thanks Augie,  Carl,  and George.  I took an inventory on paint.........I have

3 bottles of signal red

1 bottle of bright red

1 bottle of crimson

tough choice,  because these are already spoken for.  gonna take a while to get this color paint,  if choose to redo.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

good paint job Popeye..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks for the good word gents........very sad......I've chosen to redo to a color a bit brighter.   I've taken two other pictures using regular light,  and they show the defect quite well.  the bad part about it,  is that the starboard side is the most prominent side to view the model,  to leave the defect there would take away the looks.  wish I didn't have to.........I liked the color  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

deed is done Patrick ;)  .....and don't try and talk me out of it either!  :D  :D    

it was like zero here this morning..........even with two water heaters and two furnaces in the cellar,  the temp was less than desirable.  I blew the whole 1/2 oz bottle of signal red on her!  I'll most likely have to do something else for the day.......I had put her on the stand, and the keel got a couple of nicks out of it.   I'll make sure the hull has time to fully cure.  I'll be right back with an update  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

just looking at these two pictures convinced me.......that...and the rack / podium is on the port side...not a good side to show her.

post-612-0-13167800-1422552938.jpg

post-612-0-67875400-1422552951.jpg

these were taken using natural light.   after weighing out which hue to go with,  I sanded the bad spot on the bottom.....along with a couple of others I noticed.   I did get scared after I had sprayed it......one of the pictures showed it...like I didn't sand it enough.  but,  later pictures,  after I had removed the masking,  it could be hardly seen at all.

post-612-0-74331000-1422553316.jpg

post-612-0-65633300-1422553331.jpg

here's the one that scared me

post-612-0-64214600-1422553366.jpg

post-612-0-27477100-1422553403.jpg

post-612-0-31939800-1422553422.jpg

the same area after the masking was removed

post-612-0-87716100-1422553840.jpg

post-612-0-42499400-1422553857.jpg

it's not totally gone....the only way would have been to strip the hull.   done it once already.......not a pleasant road to go down.  but it's to the point where I can be happy with it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"Ouch" on its way to become "Yeah"

If you could not fix this, who other can ?

Spices of our hobby

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

The ultimate problem is every time you look at it you will automatically look at that spot, me on the other hand may not even see it because the rest of your build is so good to look at. I love it, I think it looks fantastic.   They always say you are your own worst critic.

Happy modeling,

Marty G.

popeye its looking great now that its in paint keep it going buddy 

Beautiful paint job Popeye and very nice recovery!  Hey, a mishap can happen to anyone.  I had one like that after I finished painting an airplane with acrylic enamel.  The difference is - - thousands of dollars.  It took me more time to redo a similar thing and all on my own time.  I won't tell how I did it but nobody could see where the blemish was, worked though the night and next morning too.  :(  :angry:

I learned to be more careful and have patience.  I'm sure you're thinking the same now  :)  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks John,  Lawrence,  and Dragzz.........a bit more touch up on the green {that I saw in the pictures},  and then the over spray,  and then I can get back to fitting out the deck  :)

no Carl........you weren't wrong...I think you knew it was coming  :)  thanks my friend.

you could come over Nenad......your becoming quite a color coordinator ;)  thanks!

very true Marty.....not like I sell these boats though......they're just for my own pleasure :)  besides......where I post build logs on the open web,  I don't want the whole world to think I'm off my nut for letting something like this slide.........just here on the site  :D

I know that very well Piet.......but it still doesn't stop me from tripping up every once in a while  ;)  you are right though......I didn't do the same thing the second time around ......and it came out fine  :)  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Excellent work, Popeye.  Fixes go along with this hobby for some reason. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good Denis.... doesn't it tick you off when things mess up.... :angry: good thing you know what you're doing  ;)

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Mark,  Sjors,  and Frank!  :)     this time is definitely a keeper!   I will let the hull dry for the weekend.....the first time suffered a couple of chips from the stand {probably put it on there too early}.   I'll examine it for sharp edges and make the adjustments.  that's what I get for trying to rush things along.   with all the hulls I've done in the past.......you'd think I'd know better  ;)

thanks for the good words and the likes!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence.......perhaps I can get a dry fit together,  and show what she looks like in color  ;)   I put the prop on,  so that step is finished.   more soon....thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just breezing past Denis, excellent fix mate and a good finish.

Your upper deck detail is a work of art and looks superb so you should be very pleased and proud of her.

Well done buddy.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie  :)   when I get back to work on her,  I hope to do a dry fit.   but actually,  if I touch up all the over spray,  I can pretty much fix many of the parts on permanently.    but the first real order of business,  is get the pilot house done and the roof on,  so I can work more on the trawl rig.   another major snow storm has fallen........need to clean up the mess before I can do anything else ;)

thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: