Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

thanks Augie........as Mark wrote.......the times that try men's souls.   mine is  'nuth'in to get hung about........'  :D

so anyway........the preservers were set aside for a short time.......and then cemented in place.  as I mentioned,  the one with the minor defect  {really minor} was put on the bulkhead wall.

post-612-0-69535400-1431609422.jpg

the holder for this one was painted flat white.

post-612-0-87599000-1431609434.jpg

post-612-0-48672300-1431609447.jpg

I had one more plastic single block left over.  since the bead string is done,  I cut the excess off and seized the block to it.  it was then wound up in a coil and cemented with white glue to keep the coil together.   it was then cemented on the main deck under the podium.

post-612-0-48571600-1431609671.jpg

then......something amazing happened.......all the clutter disappeared!   the several months of dust and stuff......gone!

post-612-0-04354500-1431609862.jpg

the buoy string was cut into three sections.   the first section had a stub of rope sticking out.........white glue was squeezed into the hole,  and the stubble was tucked in to create a rope eye loop.   this one was to be placed in the top of the podium.

post-612-0-37791900-1431610131.jpg

the other two were of equal length.  for the ends of these two,  I did something a bit different.   trimming the rope stubbles off,  metal eye bolts were cemented in.

post-612-0-11403900-1431610262.jpg

the first one was laid lengthwise along the starboard side.

post-612-0-74590300-1431610397.jpg

the other one was laid down however it wanted to..........

post-612-0-21805300-1431611719.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

Absolutely amazing, the table that is, so clean…oh and the ship is nice too. :D  ;)  Only kidding the ship is magnificent.  Bravo!!

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Outstanding!!!work Denis.... all you need now is George Clooney and it's a done deal!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thank you  Sal,  Carl,  and all you fine folks who hit the like button.   the clean table......yea,  there's a reason for doing it.

in putting the last few pieces in place,  I feel this would be the best time to call this build finished.   oh,  I'm sure that there are a few more aspects I could add,  but confinement of space is beginning to be a problem.   some of the aspects I've added,  and some that I still had in mind,  would have been better done,  if the trawl rig wasn't in place.

post-612-0-45064100-1431617066.jpg

I did some modifications that wasn't on the actual boat,  but they are minor,  considering how close this build looks compared to the kit build.  I'm pretty amazed how close I got.   it's too bad I couldn't find the rigging directions for her....I could have gotten closer to that as well.   what the heck........I muddled through  ;)

post-612-0-63756100-1431617860.jpg

Frank......if your looking in......I tried.......I really did.   I guess George Clooney is too busy :(   I got the addresses for his agent and publisher,  and sent them a letter along with pictures.  I haven't heard back thus far.  I'm still holding the candle though,  perhaps I may hear something down the road......if I do,  I'll post it  ;)

post-612-0-20614400-1431618113.jpg

these are just a few pictures of the finished boat.  I will do some more for the gallery.......even some of the Lobsie twins.....they're about a year overdue.   I'm so very glad that you folks enjoyed the build.......I had an absolute blast in doing it!   should I add any more to her,  I will be sure to post it as well.

thanks for looking in and showing your support and suggestions!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Truly going to miss the (almost) everyday progress on her.  She's a spectacular example of what a working boat should look like.  And scratched to boot.  You deserve to be very proud, Denis.  The details are simply phenomenal.

I'll be looking forward to her 'reveal' in your gallery.  And, I just need to ask ......

WHAT'S NEXT, mate ??  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She is a masterpiece Popeye!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

You say, "what the heck........I muddled through".  What I say is that's some mighty fine muddling. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well done Popeye... a salute to you and the AG... post-76-0-95346700-1431637076.gif   It all just came together so well.  You have me re-thinking down the road.. maybe something other than a tall ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OMG!!!  thank you all for the kind comments,  and to those of you who hit the like button as well.  :)    yes Augie,  I am very pleased with how she came out.  I will probably still look over to the table,  expecting to see her,  when she's off the table finally.   I have been in and out for most of the day,  so I haven't made much progress on anything.  I do have a correction to make........I mentioned several months.......it's actually nine months.  I started snapp'in pictures the first of September, 2014.   during the time period,  roughly 824 pictures were taken of her progress.  my Word Press build log on her is the largest log I've done to date......93 entries.......94 when I add in the gallery  {I hate the term  'blog'.......it sounds so........'preppie'  :D  :D

it's amazing what an idea looks like in the flesh..........assembling the Boulogne hull,  and working on the Holiday Harbor boats.....   they kept me thinking about Andrea and it gave me time to think of what would need to be done to make it happen.   when I finally started.....it was very hard to turn off.

good question......what's next.  well.....I decided to start the Academy Titanic build.  nothing big at the moment.......I did a tiny bit of assembly and am currently making observations on a couple of ideas,  but I'm thinking of doing a mostly  'out of the box'  build.  I still have some research to do as well.

I'm still looking toward dwindling down my back logs......I may bounce around a couple of builds while the Titanic is going on......perhaps I'll settle in and finish another one  {I hope}.   got to get wood and stuff before I can go completely nuts again........got to replen the parts I stole from the other builds,  so my choices are narrowed down at the moment.  but I'll be back on track very soon  ;)

again,  I thank you for your kind comments, and following along on this crazy journey.  I'm very glad you all enjoyed this tangent I went on.  I know I did!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Mark!  thanks for the good word.  remember,  I started the hobby with the Nordkap.   I have a couple......well,  three sailing ships in my roster,  but the fishing vessel will always be a foundation for me.   I like them.......there is a much more open playing field.....I can go rampant with enhancements,  as long as I stay in the subject parameters.  the Lobsie twin build taught me that.  I think there is a beauty in all ships and boats.......especially the ones less noted.  I was so amazed that this boat had so little information and pictures......but I didn't check out the Gloucester harbor where she hailed from.  I relied mostly on online images and the Billing's instructions.   we build what we know,  my friend.......but if you ever want to try a build off your beaten path,  look around....there are kit out there......Dumas has a few.  I just hope the Licorne doesn't get jealous  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow. Can we go fishing now?  Loved following along with your build Popeye. Nice to see such a fine piece of craftsmanship come to lite.          Soooooooo what's next. Whatever it is I'll be looking for it.

Happy Modeling,

Marty G.

Magnificent work Popeye.  Your ingenuity and thinking outside the box is truly inspiring.

I'm looking forward in following your next project.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thank you folks for the super nice comments....and as always every one who hit the like button!  :)    so many inspiring people here......it's impossible not to learn something along the way.

thanks Marty.....I starting the Titanic build......and god knows what else.  I'll settle into one of my other builds  ;)

thanks Lawrence.......it was a good subject to work with.......it was fun to do.

thanks Piet......I hope you get into another project that has a lot of metal work.......I want to learn more.   I have to think outside the box......they won't let me in :D  :D

thanks John.....always a pleasure to have you looking in ;)   whatever happens concerning a case, I'll post it here  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

Congratulations on a job "almost done." Sorry to say mate but you have to do "that" "this" and "the other thing". Anything to keep this incredible log going. What a job and what a log. Thank you a million wouldn't be enough.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Dragzz  appreciate the good word!

thanks Greg.......kinda reminds me of the old 'outer limits' TV show intro.   depending on the subject,  one can go stark raving mad with adding detail and stuff.   I know I could have gone further with this subject,  but this is a good place to end off.   she's not too plain Jane,  and not over laiden with detail.....she's just right.......balanced.   it's the same way I feel as I look at her.......and still amazed with how she came out.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's right, I've got a saying: "it's Kellogg's" -not too heavy, not too light - just right. FYI it's from a TV commercial for a breakfast cereal called JUST RIGHT and it's slogan was not too heavy etc.

Your AG is perfect, but I'm going to miss your logs, that's all

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Late for the party but you did a hell of a job Popeye !

Something to be proud off !!!!!!!

I enjoy every post of your build just as the other 100 builds  before ....... :P  :P

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

I know what your saying Greg........I'm finding it odd not to think of the next thing to do to her.  it's funny like that........you build a kit...and yea,  you have fun doing it.  you plan.......and think.......and think some more.......soon to be done.....it's a nice looking build.   I can't describe how fluid this build was....the only thing I really really had to worry about,  was staying in scale.  I hope I did that well........I think I did  ;)  I do have a few other builds in mind.......there's the S.S. Olive Oyl,   the Orca {from Jaws},  and the Bat Boat.  {I added it Patrick,   it's official }  :D  :D     you just never know what will land on my table  ;)

thank you Sjors.........your enthusiasm knocked me clean out of my chair!   glad you liked the end result  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

Both boats are a good idea! With the S.S Olive Oyl would be an interesting idea, all you have to do is to make a huge shark eating half the boat, lol. But the bat boat would looooook greeeaaaat. It's up to you. Just let us all know when you start the new log, maybe by putting a note on this one with the link.

Havagooday

Greg

:D  :D  :D  :D  I'll see what  can be done  :D       I need wood  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great finish Denis, like others have expressed it was fun following along with the depth of detail that you put into this great looking model of a work boat.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Yup, great job Popeye and now I'm taking my Heineken crate and move to the Titanic yard.  As soon as your Bat Boat yard is set up I'll take another heineken crate over there too, to sit on  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Michael  :)  I posted the A.G.,  the Phylly C and the Denny-zen on my face book the other day........don't know why I did,  I hardly go there ;)    I was looking at the dates......do you realize that I didn't finish any boats in 2014.   that was my hiatus.......the whole summer was out the window.  after finally getting a little done on the Holiday Harbor builds,  I gave in and built the A.G.   best idea I ever had........the tangent I went off on,  really got me going!  thank you for the kind comment......it proved to me,  that every thought I had about that hull...was spot on!  ;)

thanks Piet......bring all you can...I'll help you drink it  ;)   hee...he.....the Bat Boat  {what the hell did I get myself into}!    I gotta get some wood before I can start.......I'll look at some pictures,  but if I need to, I probably can get away with using the templates for the lobster boat.....give it a bit of a twist ;)  if I get a start,  I'll post it in the Titanic build....so you'll know where to look  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It seems Revell makes the 1/25 scale kit Dennis. Not sure which version you're looking for. This one's the "Batman Forever" version.  http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Batman-Forever-Batboat-Plastic/dp/B004G3OALC

post-12186-0-27301000-1431913615_thumb.jpg

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild