Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do You enjoy Rigging your ship?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Torbogdan

Torbogdan
  • Members
  • 98 posts

I enjoy it, I´m not very good at it but it is fun. 

• mtaylor, -Mike-, CaptainSteve and 2 others like this

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Despite the frustrations along the way; if I have a good belaying plan then I enjoy rigging the model as much as building her.

cheers

Pat

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, donrobinson and 1 other like this

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

-Mike-

-Mike-
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPhetchabun, Thailand

My favourite rigging line is the last one! 

I enjoy tying down the shrouds and now I have a system that works for me I'm happy doing the ratlines. Fixed rigging, no problem but when it comes to the running rigging I'm just plain clumsy and ham fisted - drives me mad at times. Plenty of coffee breaks while I try and compose myself and go back to it! On top of that I have the very bad habit of getting somewhat impatient because I'm close to finishing.

Next time I'll do better..... :rolleyes:

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, Rick01 and 2 others like this

Mike

When all else fails - read the instructions.

current build

Model Shipways    Flying Fish

completed

Billings   L'Etoile (1996)

Billings   Mary Ann (2012)

Occre     Brig Aurora (2013)

AL          J.S.Elcano (2014)

Duffer

Duffer
  • Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, CT, USA

ca.shipwright said it best - 'an hour of rigging is better than an hour of therapy'.  

I too enjoy rigging, and will do extensive research to make it as accurate as I can.  That includes the color of the various lines, chaffing considerations, size of the lines, tension (sag), and all the associated blocks, bullseyes, fairleads, deadeyes, and ironwork.  

After a few hours of rigging though, I find a good glass of liquid refreshment (ale, rum, bourban) straightens out the eyesight and loosens the muscles....

Keep building and above all, have fun~!                     Duff

allanyed

allanyed

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationAve Maria, Florida

To answer the question, yes I enjoy rigging.  

As I mostly work on British vessels, I live by Lees Masting and Rigging for the details on everything from dimensional information to some fine drawings on blocks and other pieces.  For schooners, my second love, Chapelle's American Schooners book gives a lot of details on rigging these vessels.   David Antscherl's Volume IV of TFFM offers a lot of great information on rigging.  Peterson's Rigging Period Ship Model offers a lot of good information on rigging a late 18th century frigate.   With these there is no reason to fear masting and rigging due to putting the wrong line in the wrong place, or using the wrong size or belaying points, some or all of which may be reasons why so many don't like rigging.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed, 17 December 2016 - 10:59 PM.

• mtaylor, davyboy, druxey and 3 others like this

Current Builds Litchfield (50) 1730, Effie M. Morrissey  

I can explain it to you but I can't comprehend it for you - Ed Koch, former NYC mayor

David of Berwick

David of Berwick
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I am new to the hobby - being in only my second build (the Mary Byrne) - but during my first build I found the rigging part to be very enjoyable. However I also found it very frustrating whenever I list tension or couldn't get a knot tied. Yes, rigging is enjoyable - but so was the Gil work, the planking and the deck furniture....
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.