10th-11th century Byzantine dromon by Louie da fly - FINISHED - 1:50

I just noticed this built and I like the figures you added. It makes it so much more realistic. Excellent craftsmanship. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

It seems to me that the Dromarch would be flailed round the head by the flag tails in any following wind.  I hope Louie was spared that, or wore an anti-swooping helmet

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Ah! But he has an awning over his head (yet to be added) which will take care of the banner tails.

But they certainly had those big banners  - in fact I'm being a bit conservative, if anything . . .

766999411_Blowinghair.jpg.e1c61193ec60b9be9ddaf529dc93ab62.jpg

From the Synopsis Historian of Ioannes Skylitzes (commonly known as the Madrid Skylitzes Chronicle, after the library where it's held)

And I've just realised I have another Byzantine pic of a steering oar with a tiller - check it out - it looks a lot like what I ended up making! Though it seems to me the steersman is holding it the wrong side of the rudder shaft.

1730772811_SermonsGregoryofNazianzusPantaleimonCod_6f_183r.JPG.e1c29b9105842a0ea012b7884ffd55ef.JPG

From the Sermons of Gregory of Nazianzus:  Pantaleimon Cod. 6 f. 183r

Looks as if Gregory's captive audience looks none too happy. "I have to row and listen to him?" The Madrid image has the steersman using a double-handed grip, I note.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

11 hours ago, druxey said:

The Madrid image has the steersman using a double-handed grip, I note.

The one in the blue, yes. It's a bit hard to see what the steersman in the red is doing. Maybe I should go through all the illustrations in the Skylitzes to see if there are any others showing anything worthwhile on this subject.

That is looking so busy and excellent with the crew  - really looking the part.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice work and research Steven.  I note that in the second image above (Sermons ....)  that the steering oar has another small cross piece where the swivel point would be.  Have you considered and/or eliminated that?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everybody for the likes and OC for the nice comment.

Pat, as far as I can work out that's the fixing point for the steering oar against the hull. They came in various types (the TAMU paper goes into them in considerable detail). I chose the triangular ones you can see in my pictures above,

1784116274_ScrapingboatdeMateriaMedicaConstantinoplemid10thcenturym652.240ra.jpg.fcaa9fd3dd55f68b20615c5a5ae2b3a5.jpg

but there were plenty of other types - "box", "socket" and even some where the steering oar actually goes through a hole in the hull..

I found a couple of interesting illustrations from the Madrid Skylitzes. First, I need to let you know that this manuscript is a Byzantine history and was produced in Sicily in the second half of the 12th century under the rule of the Sicilo-Normans. A number of different artists from various traditions and cultures illustrated it, which accounts for the different artistic styles. Most of the ones below are probably by Western artists, but the ones I've based the dromon on (such as the one above with all the flags flying in the breeze) are in the Byzantine tradition, produced by Byzantine-trained artists.

image.png.9cc3cc5d22c13b4f905a77d74255b251.png      image.png.ce09c7af16e6af1467b48d6de0c7590b.png

Two handed grip on rudder -     folio 132 verso.                                                                                                  folio 134 verso.

image.png.b1c2cb17125ec97ea0b9199e9ce8c5c0.png

This is the only illustration by this artist who is almost certainly West European.

image.png.12cb7b72f1e4d9348ce656868a8fd9c6.png

Probably single-handed. Folio 146 verso.

image.png.ade1b4cd65d87c73d9378f2b18a6708b.png

Folio 168 verso. Western artist, whose renditions of ships are very simplistic.

image.png.58cc33844be6a833bc47003156ae2f3f.png

From folio 138 verso. Note the beached galleys with their steering oars swivelled up out of the water. This appears to be the only rendition of a ship in the manuscript that shows both steering oars, though it's pretty certain that double rudders were a standard feature.

It is possible that in smaller vessels there was only one steersman who operated both rudders. Certainly when Tim Severin and his associates followed Jason's voyage from Thessaly to Colchis in what is now Southern Russia in the 1970, the steersman held one rudder in his right hand and the other in his left, and it worked well. Due to budget constraints their reconstruction of the Argo was smaller than Jason's 50-oared pentekontor.

However, each rudder shaft broke twice on the voyage and had to be mended. So the forces involved are considerable, even on a twenty-oared vessel.

The awning for the poop has been painted for a long time, with an eagle motif. And now I've painted the substructure to match the rest of the ship, particularly the castles. The columns are wood painted to resemble porphyry, the purplish marble reserved for Imperial use.

20201016_231436.thumb.jpg.bde937dc24fa6d676244d618adec0136.jpg

And now to add the figures I've been saving up all this time.

The Emperor (Alexios I Komnenos, known to the vikings as Kirjalax - from Kyrie (lord) Alexios).

20201017_103414.thumb.jpg.d4e311a7f97f8c34a8288c0e0886615f.jpg

20201017_103440.thumb.jpg.fb92b605607cb6f855bbf0ebdc387b34.jpg

And now the awning, and the flute-player who gives the time to the oarsmen (far right of the picture, in blue):

20201017_104410.thumb.jpg.b536e3d8b18c517a0fcc950a4b44313c.jpg

And the Emperor's Varangian (Viking) bodyguards:

20201017_105442.thumb.jpg.26af98ebd70ec65c623f9a8d5a0613c1.jpg

And two Imperial courtiers:

20201017_115312.thumb.jpg.286b7018b3fc9fd5b64639a5f87539dc.jpg

Unfortunately, you can barely see the Emperor under the awning:

20201017_115401.thumb.jpg.ae74f3973949fd7bb03f63c7fdfb99ac.jpg

20201017_115322.thumb.jpg.968ad7c95fa6920965c3b0405c5fb65d.jpg

I just have to tidy up a couple of ropes and the ship is complete, after more than 5 years!

20201017_115747.thumb.jpg.d56d561964c966c210272684c3e7392c.jpg   20201017_115854.thumb.jpg.917f8ae6f1eea252e5238adead295a5c.jpg  

I still have to complete the stand, add a nameplate and make a case. But that's it. I'm already having withdrawal symptoms . . .

From a view of accuracy,  details, research, and building... this is at least museum quality.  Maybe higher.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done indeed, Steven. It has been interesting to follow your journey into uncharted territory and ending up with a plausible result. I've enjoyed the presentation of what evidence you had in order to arrive at an outstanding conclusion. And thank you for putting up with my admittedly terrible puns.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

9 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

porphyry, the purplish marble reserved for Imperial use.

Oooh, my turn to show off pedantic knowledge! Geologically speaking, porphyry is an igneous rock (formed from cooling lava), whereas marble is metamorphic (physically and chemically transformed from limestone). However, in the building trade, "marble" is routinely used to refer to any crystalline rock that can be cut and polished regardless of origin. "Granite" is the same way in kitchens and baths; most "granite countertops" cause a geologist to bristle. 

Anyway, aside from the rare pleasure of applying my geologic background to model building, this has been such a wonderful journey through a period and ship-building style I knew nothing of. Thanks for sharing so much detail and context with us along the way. I am much the better for it.

Also, what happened to the horns on the guards' helmets? (ducks)

What's left for me to say, than: Outstanding work, Steven. I did not expect such a fast finish. You took me by surprise this time, well most of the times anyway. I am curious as to what you next build will be. Hat of to you!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I second all what was said: awesome, outstanding, magnificent. I learnt a lot from this build.

Congratulations,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

I do hope that you will put some photos in the Gallery, Steven. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That looks stunning Steven, and I think you may be selling your building skills a little short noting the scale of this model.  You have taken us on a wonderful voyage of discovery with this build, and I am looking forward to your next project - any hints?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Not only a stunning and beautifully built model, Steven, but also a journey of discovery through the Byzantine empire.

Lots of unclear evidence winnowed and crystallised into the Dromon.

You can be proud of it/her ( I have no idea whether Mediterranean ships are referred to as feminine!)

Many thanks for sharing.  
I can safely say that no one who viewed your build log will ever pull a hose without seeing ( in their minds eye) a lateen yard rising steadily with three unfurlers ( Tom, Dick and Mustafa?) ensconced thereapon.

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)

Good Morning Steven;

A very nice model; the figures of the crew give so much atmosphere to the whole view. A highly worthwhile return on all those years of effort, research and thought!

Congratulations and well done!!

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

A masterpiece.

This was a pleasure to follow. And very educational.

congrats 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks everybody for the all the comments. It's very nice to have finally finished this build, and I'm pretty happy with the final result.

17 hours ago, druxey said:

thank you for putting up with my admittedly terrible puns.

Actually, much appreciated.

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I do hope that you will put some photos in the Gallery, Steven. 

Just done. I had to figure out how to make it all work - never posted in the galley before.

6 hours ago, BANYAN said:

I am looking forward to your next project - any hints?

I've got a few ideas, but haven't made up my mind yet - so many choices . .  And I still have to finish off the Great Harry.

5 hours ago, liteflight said:

three unfurlers ( Tom, Dick and Mustafa?)

Mustafa must be an Arabian immigrant - which wasn't all that uncommon. A lot of mutual exchange of populations. But a more likely group would be Con, Theo and Iouannis . . .