HMS Hood by jim_smits - Hachette - 1:200 - part works

Hi all!

It's been a busy week and finally got the last of our stuff out of the old house and handed the keys back to the letting agents yesterday.

However still managed to find 20 mins here and there everyday to keep the hood build going. All the frames are complete and I've glued the main skeleton of the build together. Lego blocks and clamps were used to make sure everything was as true as possible. The build has also been screwed a base board to keep everything in place during planking.

I've tested the frame positioning with the deck pieces and everything is largely correctly in place. A few of the deck pieces will need a little extra sanding to get a nice fit, and a couple of the pieces are ever so slightly warped so they will need a little soak and reshaping.

This takes care of the first 10 issues or so. The next few issues start deviating to parts of the superstructure but I may skip and proceed straight to planking the hull. I just need to do some reading ahead and make sure that nothing is missed.

Further updates to follow....!

post-465-0-00743200-1462101144_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-03854200-1462101145_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-64886100-1462101145_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-21581400-1462101146_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-64418700-1462101146_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-11520300-1462101147_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Looks huge Jim!  I can imagine the planking at the stern to be a little bit of a challenge.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

That sure looks like a fun project Jim. All that work getting the parts collected must be akin to foreplay as its really gotten you interested. Even with moving the house you're getting work done. Looking forward to following your build.   Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Wow.

The auction for 100 issues which included the six issues I needed went for £310 in the end. Whilst I could probably eventually sell on the other 90 odd issues in excess that I would have received, I don't have that amount of cash floating around spare at the moment.

Looks like the search will continue....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I've slightly lied and decided to follow the order of the magazines for the time being. I'm now up to issue 21. The decks at the bow and stern are now fixed in place, with the only removable section now in the middle holding the superstructure.

I've now added the basic skeleton for level one of the superstructure. It's several sections of plywood fixed together but still loose from the deck. The sections are then removed and the corners are sanded round. Later etched brass is added to give some details to the bulkheads and doorways etc.

The next few issues will be starting the planking of the hull. I need to do a fair bit of sanding first though; the deck needs smoothing and then I need to do a bit of fairing on the frames. At least it wont be as drastic as the tall ships need to be near the bows.

Oh and it looks like the ship's cat is slacking off. Hope rats don't get in the stores......

post-465-0-07622000-1462389637.jpg

post-465-0-51330800-1462389638.jpg

post-465-0-04438300-1462389639.jpg

post-465-0-85952200-1462389639.jpg

post-465-0-30123700-1462389640.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I like the idea of having a model to guide the building of your model! :)

Just like a real shipyard!

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!

My son built the smaller Hood - I can now appreciate just how huge that bad boy is! 

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Nice framing! She is big, you won't need a bigger boat :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Not a lot of progress to report from last night.

I am now in the prep stage for planking the hull, so lots of sanding of frames to allow smooth flow of planking, and sanding of the deck pieces back to the frames. Even with a sanding block this is taking forever, so I might just bust out the Dremel (if I can find it since moving) and get that to do most of the hard work.

Anybody live in Germany? Apparently Hachette are doing the Hood magazine in Germany now.... Anyone able to find out?

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's been a busy couple of weeks both in and out of the shipyard but managed to put in at least a half hour session each evening and some more at the weekends. Next major milestone has been reached and I have completed laying the first planking layer bringing me up to the end of issue 28.

Given that there will be second planking over the top I have not been spectacularly precious about making the planking flawless and fit with no gaps. Therefore it has been pretty easy to complete without shaping of planks. However, given the hull is fairly simple anyway it hasn't been an issue and it has been nice to not have to constantly reshape planks and fit stealers and drop planks.

Next step will be a combination of a LOT of sanding and filling the gaps with PVA. My thinking here is that the sanding dust should mix nicely with the PVA in gaps to effectively fill them in. After that I will paint the entire hull in a PVA-water mix to strengthen the planking. This should give a solid hull ready for second planking.

Hopefully tomorrow wont be as wet as today and I can make a start on the sanding.

post-465-0-48832600-1463853346_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-37601700-1463853347.jpg

post-465-0-85243500-1463853347.jpg

post-465-0-31668500-1463853348_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-21841100-1463853349_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Looking good Jim, HMS Hood was a very handsome ship. You say "After that I will paint the entire hull in a PVA-water mix to strengthen the planking." I've always heard that PVA will not bond to set PVA, unlike hide glues, so that might make your idea problematic. I don't know what others experiences with this are though. See here for example: http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/repairing_furniture_joints.htm

"Unlike hide glue, PVA glue does not re-bond to itself so you must scrape off the old glue to bare wood."

I've tried the method before with success. The main idea is to soak into the planking and Solidify any remaining gaps, and then a quick sand down to prep for the second planking. The PVA should have no problems binding the second planking.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I agree with what others have said - applying Diluted PVA is a good idea but make sure you leave the whole area after applying, a good few days to dry then give it a good sanding to key the area.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks good planking. She will come up real nice w ith the second layer.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

You might want to consider either epoxy resin or polyester resin to toughen and fill the hull. Maybe some very light weight glass cloth and then resin with filler in it to fill the weave.  Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

I've done a monster session of sanding and filling gaps with PVA. The mix of wood dust and PVA have made for an excellent filler and the hull feels reasonably smooth. It's nowhere near a paint ready surface but given there is a second planking to go it is more than ready for that next layer.

I just need to crack out the dremel to finish shaping the deck edges and I can get cracking with the second planking.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I've done a monster session of sanding and filling gaps with PVA. The mix of wood dust and PVA have made for an excellent filler and the hull feels reasonably smooth. It's nowhere near a paint ready surface but given there is a second planking to go it is more than ready for that next layer.

I just need to crack out the dremel to finish shaping the deck edges and I can get cracking with the second planking.

Those sponge sanding blocks are Brill for sanding as they follow contours and are abrasive enough to sand down where you want to, ive used them for everything from household skirting to wood boats.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a large update unfortunately, been busy with work and other commitments but some further planking and filling managed. Next step is to add some laser cut pieces to form part of the bow and stern. I'll add some pictures this weekend.

One other update though is that I have managed to order issue 139 & 140 from eBay this morning. Bit pricey but I don't think I can be picky at the moment. Only 119, 132, 134 and 138 to go......

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Just to update with some images on the stern area.

So first image shows the stern as is, with the first layer of planking in place. The second is the laser cut ply piece in place and the third is the piece in isolation.

I need to get hold of some elastic bands and dunk the piece in hot water and get it shaped correctly before I attempt to get it positioned properly and glued. In addition the deck is slightly flush of the frames and where the ply piece would be once it is glued, so need a good sanding down to get the correct height.

I really need to start getting the AOTS book out now and start checking the pieces for some accuracy. I'm early enough in the build that I can alter the ship by amending the way I plank and how much sanding and filling is used. Time to get the digital caliper out....

post-465-0-92580100-1465045541.jpg

post-465-0-35126100-1465045545.jpg

post-465-0-88541700-1465045545.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

It's been a little while so apologies everyone. Very busy with work and life but I've been chipping in with 30 mins here and there most days.

I've gone slightly off the order of the magazines and skipped to issues 70 odd to pick up the bow pieces and finish the second planking upto the superstructure. Done huge amounts of sanding and filling and there is a fair bit to go as there are still some bumps and dips to sort before even considering painting. Will also be adding a couple of soaks of diluted PVA to really set the second planking solid and avoid any little chips and dings.

I also now need to start looking at the details of the hull and check the dimensions and plating etc. Want to be able to adjust now before too much else has been added.

Finally started adding some of the superstructure along with starting on adding some of the photoetch brass. I want to be able to get to the point where the hull and the first layer of superstructure are ready at the same time to be painted all in one go. After that decking and additional details can be added and the decks built up.

post-465-0-41884200-1469361515.jpg

post-465-0-51232700-1469361516.jpg

post-465-0-97976000-1469361516.jpg

post-465-0-10590800-1469361521.jpg

post-465-0-22350000-1469361524.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

now that is starting to look really nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Just managed to buy three of the four issues I am missing from a user on the Partworks Forum. Only missing issue 119 now!

Other than that not a huge load of progress to update you all with unfortunately. I have replanked the stern area as the kit instructions created a highly exaggerated profile which just looked wrong.

I need to re drill the port holes again and then look at using some styrene sheet to properly create the amour plating.

Been a bit busy with wedding preparations to really do proper work and probably not much will get done for next three weeks or so.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo