Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Great work, as usual.  I really like the way all the shrouds line up on the masthead.

Superb!

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

very clean and precise work Bob...........rigging is very neatly done.   what is the advantage to stepping the mast one at a time?   I know that it's easier to rig the shrouds,  but are there any others?    might be something that I'll have to beat into my head.......I can't seem to keep myself from assembling the entire mast tree.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, nice job on the rigging! How do you strop your blocks, especially the ones attached to the mast? They are very neatly done. Too neatly done……:D :D.

Edited by Elijah

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks so much Denis, Elijah and the "likes".

Denis, I just think it is much easier to work on all of the lower rigging without the upper masts in place. For example, I didn't do the blocks at the mastheads until the shrouds were done. Seems much easier to me without the topmasts in place. Probably just a matter of personal preference. 

Elijah, take a look at post #375 on the previous page.

Bob

First, let me take this opportunity to wish all of you the happiest of holiday seasons and a New Year filled with good health and modelling.

Crowsfeet have always been one of my least favorite tasks. When faced with doing them, I look to find other things to do. In that spirit, I started work on the topmasts. About midway through, I kicked myself and decided that now was the time to do the crowsfeet. Thus, this update is about crowsfeet and not topmasts.

The euphroe blocks are made from pear strip (I just happened to have a piece that seemed exactly the right size). The tackle blocks are Syren 3mm and all of the line is Syren .008", which is correct for size according to AOTS. The problem is always the same: how to achieve tension on the crowsfeet without distorting the stay to which they are attached. If you're expecting that I've come up with some magical solution, you're in for a disappointment. Trial and error, pull here, tighten there, have once again been my solution. The result has not been entirely satisfactory, but seems to be the best that I'm likely to achieve. You can judge for yourself from the photos.

Bob

post-186-0-57336700-1482409446_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-41169700-1482409487_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-42721300-1482409510_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-38732000-1482409532_thumb.jpeg

The crowsfeet look pretty sweet to me Bob. Nice work. I have never had to do any yet but they look like they could be a bit of a "hair puller", again good stuff

I think they look great too Bob.....very well done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

WOW!  Excellent work!

It seems that perhaps the secret is that the crowsfeet are pulling at the same angle as the stay, rather than against the stay.

It has the look like it belongs.

Amazing.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Nice job on the Crowsfeet Bob, they're not on my favourite job list either, in fact I've still not tied them off just in case I disturb them  during the later rigging process.

Interesting that Peter Goodwin indicates 1½" circ line (0.20mm diameter at scale) for the Crowsfeet;

Steel shows ¾" circ line (0.1mm diameter at scale) in his tables for sloops of 300 tons so I went with 0.1mm line.

A quick check between Goodwin and Steel's tables shows that Goodwin indicates slightly heavier rigging  lines overall, and he quotes Lees in his sources list.

I wonder if I could have got away with  0.20mm line, I think slightly heavier line for the Crowsfeet  would make life easier.

B.E.

Nice, Bob, really nice.  I think one reason your crowsfeet look so good is that you lined up the holes in the euphroe as evenly as could be.  That was the step that continually tripped me up on my one crowsfoot effort (I didn't use a drill press). 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

The lower standing rigging is now complete (with the exception of the ratlines). This involved doing the deadeyes on the the lower tops, the futtock shrouds, the catharpins and the upper jeer blocks on the main.

The dead eyes are from the kit. I stropped them using wire, rather than the kit PE parts, The futtock staves are 1/32" square boxwood strip. The futtock shrouds are  seized to Syren plastic hooks. The catharpins are simplified, by simply tying them to the futtock staves.

The jeer blocks and their lashings are not entirely accurate either, but give a reasonable impression of their appearance at this scale. They are fitted only on the main, since the crojack on the mizzen has only a sling and no jeers.

In my usual spirit of procrastination, I will complete and mount the topmasts, and at least begin their rigging, before tackling the ratlines.

Bob

post-186-0-75613100-1483013018_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-22329400-1483013040_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-34415900-1483013062_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-03391400-1483013093_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-36365200-1483013116_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-45996800-1483013143_thumb.jpg

Well, the holiday family horde headed back north and it was time to get back to work.

First up was the the mizzen topmast and topgallant and their standing rigging. This involved making the masts, mounting them and doing the topmast shrouds, topmast backstay, topmast stay, topgallant backstay and blocks for the crojack, topsail and topgallant lifts, and the main topgallant braces.

Mast construction was straightforward, starting with dowels, shaped and tapered as necessary, and using the kit parts for trestletrees, crosstrees and caps. As before, the rigging was done using Syren line and blocks and kit deadeyes. I did face one dilemma. There is disagreement among the kit plans, AOTS and Lees as to whether the mizzen topgallant mast had shrouds and/or a forestay. As I read Lees, at this period (1742), there would be neither. I decided to go with that, although the kit plans show shrouds, but no stay, and AOTS shows both.

Bob

post-186-0-13959200-1483711542_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-63895700-1483711566_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-80892100-1483711597_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-69045300-1483711626_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-09310900-1483711652_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-44973700-1483711675_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-69388800-1483711695_thumb.jpeg