Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Do

Thanks so much Lou and the "likes". How's the Fair American coming along, Lou?

Bob

Doing well, made up some deck furniture and added pin rails - Still need to add a few bits, there is a difference between the LSS and MS plans.... need to update my log!

Lou

horizontal plane looks fabulous Bob.........the hull looks superb!   I'm sure,  with your expertise,  the vertical plane will be equally awesome!  ;)

onward and upward! :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Masting and rigging is now underway. All of the masting and rigging work will be done using AOTS and Lees as the primary references. Rigging sizes will be based on the tables in AOTS. I've begun by making up and mounting the bowsprit and jibboom. 

The bowsprit was made from a piece of dowel. The dowel was tapered, then the fore end was filed square.Tenons were cut into both ends. The cap was made from boxwood strip, as were the bees and bee blocks. I chose not to use the kit parts for any of the bowsprit construction. Lastly, the jibboom saddle, the spritsail yard saddle and the various cleats were made from boxwood strip and added. The bowsprit was finished with golden oak stain and wipe-on poly and the fore end painted black.

Next, I did the wooldings, using Syren line and paper hoops. I then added the dead eyes for the bobstays, the shrouds, the main preventer stay and the spritsail fixed lifts. The deadeyes are from the kit and all of the rope is Syren.

The jibboom is a dowel, tapered, with the rigging stop filed in. A simulated sheave for the jib rigging was drilled and cut in, as well. The jibboom was also stained golden oak, with the ends painted black. After mounting the jibboom to the bowsprit, the ensign jack was made from dowel, painted black and mounted to the cap. Finally, holes were drilled in the cap for eyebolts and the first two were added.

Before mounting the bowsprit-jibboom assembly to the hull, I did the mainstay heart and collar. This was a testy task for aging eyes and hands, with the seizings done in very tight quarters.

Bob

post-186-0-24055700-1479219873_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-58694900-1479219899_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-04122900-1479219960_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-83599600-1479219998_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-74839400-1479220021_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-54106600-1479220055_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-70633900-1479220079_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-17325500-1479220097_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-78542000-1479220127_thumb.jpeg

That bowsprit looks great Bob

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

very well done!  very impressive  ;)   really like the stay heart........better to have done it now,  than with the bow spirit in place!   awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Dirk, Nils, Denis and the "likes".

You're so right about the stay collar Denis. It was hard enough doing it first.I can't even imagine what it would have been to do it with the bowsprit in place.

Thanks so much Don. If you promise not to tell anyone else, I'll share my secret with you. ;)  I cheat. The tenons are separate pieces of square strip wood that are pinned and glued in place.

Bob

Hi Bob.

Getting caught up on what I'd missed and it was fun to look in on your great progress.

As always you're doing a fine job. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rigging for the bowsprit consists of the gammoning, bobstays and shrouds. They are now complete. As previously indicated, the deadeyes are from the kit and the line is from Syren. The hooks attaching the shrouds to eyebolts in the hull are the lack plastic ones from Syren. Line sizes are from the table in AOTS. In cases where the the size falls between the Syren sizes, I round up or down to the nearest size, but tend to go smaller in cases of doubt, rather than larger, because I prefer a lighter look to the rigging.

Work is now underway on the lower masts.

Bob

post-186-0-22013600-1479822671_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-21962400-1479822694_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-40998000-1479822733_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-75864300-1479822756_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-28149600-1479822778_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-65656500-1479822799_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rafine

Exquisite as usual Bob!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy