HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

Thanks, Remco. That is the same one I found. Maybe I will get a chance to use it on my next project.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous work as always, Remco.  Are you planning on planking the lower deck?  I did and then discovered I could not remove the riding bitt pin.  I had to remove the deck planking and reshape the lower part of the pin to allow it to be reinserted later.  Danny mentioned that encountered the same problem.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thank you for the compliments and the importand tip. I'm going to plank the lowerdeck but just a few bands, I'll make sure the bitt pin stays clear. Allthough I build the complete assembly now, getting it installed at a much later point will keep it from harms way while doing the rest of the decks.

I'll post some pictures of the complete riding bitt this weekend.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hi Remco

I'm in the process of converting your .pdf's into .doc (Word 2003) with OmniPage.

I hope this is what you wish. I don't know how I'll get them to your site or to you?

Someone will advise when I'm finished I'm sure.

If you would rather I stopped converting please inform me.

I was about to start my first project of 'King of the Mississippi' (a 20 year old kit),

but every time I look on this site and see the fantastic stuff being built by professionals (surely)

rather then being spurned on to start I find I’m looking for reasons not to.

Must break into the packs and once one is opened I’ll be of I'm sure.

Kind Regards

Urb

Real enjoy. Looking for forward. Thank you very much for sharing

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

Thanks guys. Urb, I've send you a pm.

Here's the whole assembly with the crosspiece and I decided to make the short version of the cleat (this is the piece that supports the upped deck beam) 

post-20-0-71046700-1371156069_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-32036800-1371156068_thumb.jpeg

Still need to add some ironwork, not sure if I'll add the hook on the inside or the outside. TFFM shows two options (V1 p 276

and p80 V2)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Nice going my friend, beautiful work.

Send from the Admiral's computer.  We are now in Coraopolis, PA and enjoying the kids.  I joined my grandson for a 6 mile hike this pm, really great.

We'll be back in Florida next week Thursday.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 1 month later...

Hi Remco

it really is a delight to sight your buildlog. I highly admire your skills from what can be seen to date. I`m quite  new to the Forum and glad to have come across it.

Regards,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Oh oh oh ...

How do you tell someone they're INSANELY good at model making ... do you just tell them? Like that?

Crikey ...

Sam

You can tell him, we did before, but the only response we got from him so far is

that he keeps on throwing away previous work, and showing us something even better.....

Jan

Thanks Nils, Greg.

Oktay, I use Castello Boxwood, aka lemonwood for 95% of the build the rest is Swiss pear and Holy.

Sam, I take that as a big compliment. Jan is right, I'm a perfectionist looking for the limits of what can be done with the materials I use. This sometimes results in redoing parts most of us would find just perfect (and they are right).

For the moment no updates, life is getting in the way and the time I do get to spend in the workshop is devoted to a plastic kit I bought recently and some figure sculpting and painting.

Sorry guys, Kingfisher will have to wait 

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

A pity, I was wondering whether or not you took plastic as serious as wood....

Take a guess Jan ;-) I'll try to sneak in some pics somehow withour breaking the forum rules..

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

Put those pictures in here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1940-other-hobbies-interests-or-pastimes-that-you-enjoy/   and then forget that I told you...  :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Remco,

Put those pictures in here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1940-other-hobbies-interests-or-pastimes-that-you-enjoy/   and then forget that I told you...  :D  :D :D  

I added some pics from my sculpting adventure.  Pics of the plastic kit will come in due time

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

lovely work Remco

the timber on the Framework must be very Close to the real historic ship. Ist a pleasure to go through your buildlog from beginning onwards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 5 weeks later...

I got fed up with the plastic kit and it served it's purpose, I back working on my KF.

Shaping the parts at the bow is a little tricky but fun especially with the scarph joints and the mast partner that has it's carlings cut from the onder side of the beam. Partially fixed partially test fitted here's the progress to date. Having the fore mast finished already helps to align all parts. 

post-20-0-54949700-1380364797_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-60001600-1380363986_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-08674500-1380363988_thumb.jpeg

Nils, thank you. Indeed the frame work is close to the real thing but not completely. I did not make the chokes as separate parts but they are part of the frame timbers. 

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Nice to see you back at it Remco. I've missed your beautiful work. I wonder what miniature challenges we can throw your way again....... ;)