La Jacinthe by Kortes - FINISHED - 1:42 scale - French schooner

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Looking great, Kortes.    I have  a question though... the line that I have circled in red below.  I think that would stop the rudder from turning

Actually Mark, if you look at the first photo in post #186, I think you can see a little better that the line in question is actually behind the rudder and the only connection to the rudder is via the hanging chains.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Dave,  you mean this one?    I don't think there's enough slack in the chains for that.  But I'm probably wrong.IMG_1154.thumb.JPG.900ad36bcb03b50be3ab86783fe0db38.jpg.7fd410a79329e29177de19dd83f8d5f1.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greetings, Mark. You're right. In fact, in the first version, the chain was longer, but sagging did not look very aesthetic and I removed one link. I would now remake this knot. Chain links needed to be made smaller  - in that case everything would work out. BUT, in my defense, I can say that the length of the chain does not interfere with the turn of the control blade, I have checked that. :)

12 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Well Kortes, your work is quite a step above what most of us here can produce and it can make a lot of us feel somewhat inadequate.  On the other hand, work such as yours can only inspire us to try to do better. 

I feel you about your desire to remake portions of your project that you are unhappy with as I find myself doing the same thing with my Phantom.  I have remade some of the ships deck houses several times, until I was happy with the results.  While there exists the popular notion with some people to “just get er done” as they say, I don’t subscribe to that school of thought at all.  As I often said at work, “Why does it seem that there is never enough time to get it done right, but always time to do it over?”

Thank you, dear Dave for such a high evaluation of my work. I was also studying on the works of such outstandings Masters Dmitriy Shevelev, Mihail Bezverhiy, Sergey Bykov, Igor Kapinos, Aleksey Baranov and many others, whose  level of mastery is unattainable for me. But the attempt to reach even for a little their level of mastery gives the possibility to grow. You are right - if one has the feeling of dissatisfaction, then one has to try to remake the knot or the work, in some cases I had more than three of such attempts.

My best regards, Alexander.

Oh my....what wonderful workmanship....

Be it rope or wood work...you have superbly mastered the art of model ship building.

I'm working in a much smaller scale...(1/128) and if I could pull off such attention to detail....it would be a miracle.

Love your work.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Greetings, Rob
Thank you so much. I have always had a profound respect for the modelists who work in a small scale. I think its a very special category of people. You are right, such a detailing is really on the verge of comrehension. It requires special vision, skills and instruments.
My best regards.

I apologize to the moderators, but I will ask a question in Russian: как долго сможет сидеть матрос на этой банке в этой шлюпке? Even the American understood... I ask a serious question, I had to work the oars for a long time, sometimes calluses appeared on the ***!

On 5/16/2019 at 5:26 PM, KORTES said:

IMG_1025.JPG

I really really like that the ship's boat is mounted on top of a hatch.

The only time that hatch is going to be open is when stores are going in.  Stores which are being ferried across by the boat.  So there's no time when you'll want to open the hatch without already having the boat in the water, out of the way.

Very clever use of deck space.

‘I looked into a book on trigonometry once,’ said Martin. ‘It was called A Simple Way of Resolving All Triangles, invaluable for Gentlemen, Surveyors, and Mariners, carefully adapted for the Meanest Understanding: but I had to give it up. Some understandings are even meaner than the author imagined, it appears.’

Kortes - you work continues to be inspirational.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

2 hours ago, aviaamator said:

I apologize to the moderators, but I will ask a question in Russian: как долго сможет сидеть матрос на этой банке в этой шлюпке? Even the American understood... I ask a serious question, I had to work the oars for a long time, sometimes calluses appeared on the ***!

Вопрос Ваш я понял.

Мне непонятны два момента.

Первый, - о какой шлюпке вы говорите?

Второй, -почему вопрос поднят в разделе такелажа а не ранее ?

И наконец, если речь идет о шлюпке « Гиацинта» :

I think the time that would be necessary. And if we are talking about the saving of a life, in this case even longer. As we are talking about a navy sailor, who is not a VIP person to travel with the greatest comfort possible. I'm sure you agree with that.

My best regards.

I have made parrels.

I have made the parrel - trusses by myself.
If anyone would find it interesting.
During the working process I have tried several modes of making parrel trucks. Taking into consideration the size of the elements I found that the following mode was the best. I have grinded out a template, in my case D = 2,3 and 2,1 mm , I cut it in required sizes. Then I have drilled the holes (I haven't spent much time on the hands free tool, made it out of the things I had on hand, the mode is the same as when I drilled the holes in dead-eyes).

IMG_1769.JPG

Next, with a little tightness, we stick a workpiece on a toothpick, which is clamped in a cartridge, and process with a sandpaper, on one and then the other side to the desired condition. With a little practice the elements are practically of the same size. 

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

Steady hands and sharp eyes.   Beautifully done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

21 hours ago, KORTES said:

With a little practice the elements are practically of the same size

I think you must practice a lot. They look perfect to me. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Sails.

No matter how much you study the experience of the Masters, you still make your own mistakes.

I tried to dye the fabric in a folk way, in the broth of onion peel. I liked the color, but  problems began later, when gluing. Thre was an unexpected reaction of the colored fabric and the glue MOMENT Carpenter. So the first set of fabric went to the bin.:(

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

My greetings, dear colleagues,

My work on the sails is coming to an end. After a series of trial and error I got almost two sets of sails. I present the final version. Material - cambric, painted with artistic oil paint diluted in white spirit.

For the moment all that is left is to make a reef-band.

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG