Finished - Albatros D.V by CDW - Wingnut Wings - 1:32 Scale - Plastic

CDW

Nice work on the Fleet, Craig.

I had some older cousins who built those size airplanes. They thought I was a lesser modeler because I built plastic. Nowadays, I work most mediums, just no RC stuff. Unless I add in Digital Command Control (DCC) trains. That adds so much to the fun of running trains, especially if you're into sound ops.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

57 minutes ago, Canute said:

Nice work on the Fleet, Craig.

Thanks, Ken. I am hooked on big biplane models. They fly so nice, slow, and aerobatic. They have a certain appeal unmatched by more modern aircraft. I suppose a lot of that has to do with watching biplanes work the fields crop dusting when I was a kid. Man, that was exciting to watch back then and stirred the imagination so much.

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

Looking somewhat like an unfinished bird's nest, the Albatros is ready for tying off the rigging on this old stringbag.

DSCN2394.thumb.JPG.b7de3f407e02ed83cf7ad35e7423835a.JPGDSCN2395.thumb.JPG.7b93cf1af725acdfc50801ac85d1ac22.JPGDSCN2396.thumb.JPG.aa6e01d61c88be565a2ef15cf79e1d9c.JPGDSCN2397.thumb.JPG.ae7fd332b59456099add435607ce628a.JPG

Did you get some fuse wire in the end mate?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I just harvest my own by stripping the insulation off of salvaged wire from old appliances and computer components, speakers, and such. Most of what I'll find in the hardware stores locally is heavier gauge wire used for other purposes. I have spools of wire suitable for electric fences and for hanging pictures, but nothing smaller, like armature wire. It's just not a thing many people would use these days. Not many of us do-it-yourself handyman types around anymore. 

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

I just harvest my own by stripping the insulation off of salvaged wire from old appliances and computer components, speakers, and such. Most of what I'll find in the hardware stores locally is heavier gauge wire used for other purposes. I have spools of wire suitable for electric fences and for hanging pictures, but nothing smaller, like armature wire. It's just not a thing many people would use these days. Not many of us do-it-yourself handyman types around anymore. 

My late farther showed me how to fuse a plug using fuse wire instead of using a fuse  - guess his idea was the wire would just burn out and snap, rather silly though.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Very impressive....

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

really nice bit of rigging there  :)     what did you use to seize it?  looks very life like............model's look'in really sweet!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Craig,

First class on build specifically the wire.:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Very nice tidy  - authentic looking work  - first class.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice  -  turning into a lovely build  - hoping my little outing will inspire me with my Mosquito build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Very nice  -  turning into a lovely build  - hoping my little outing will inspire me with my Mosquito build.

OC.

Hi OC, thanks for stopping by.

I just bought the 1:32 Tamiya Mosquito and am waiting for it to arrive. It will take up quite a bit of space. I guess I better start finding a good way to hang these airplanes from the ceilings to display them. 😵

10 minutes ago, CDW said:

Hi OC, thanks for stopping by.

I just bought the 1:32 Tamiya Mosquito and am waiting for it to arrive. It will take up quite a bit of space. I guess I better start finding a good way to hang these airplanes from the ceilings to display them. 😵

That is Great  - I will follow that with  a lot of interest  - you can be my eyes  so to speak, trust you are going to super detail it?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is Great  - I will follow that with  a lot of interest  - you can be my eyes  so to speak, trust you are going to super detail it?

OC.

When I receive the kit, will look it over to see if there are areas that need improvement. From what I've seen, it's great right out of the box.

Kermit Weeks takes his Albatros for a ride on a beautiful, sunny Florida day. If you ride east on I-4 out of Tampa toward Orlando, you'll often see Kermit flying one of his vintage warbirds. The man has some beautiful aircraft, I can tell you that with certainty.

It's funny watching this Albatros in flight...it really does sound just like a farm tractor.

Albatros D.V D.2078/17.  Ottomar Hagenmuller, MFJ 1, late 1917 (killed 5 Dec 1917)

Final Photos

These will be the final photos for my 1:32 Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V, Ottomar Hagenmuller. It has been a joy of a kit to build. I have two more copies of this same kit and will build each a little differently to represent the pilots who flew them.

A note about the kit decals: The decal sheets are about as good as they get. Everything in perfect register, all the colors bright and crisp. The decals are a little thicker than others. I found that the Solvaset decal solution worked best with these particular decals specifically to help soften and settle the decals to conform to the specific shapes and panel lines they were placed over.

This is a fine model and I highly recommend it...it's worth the money IMHO. Two thumbs up!

DSCN2422.thumb.JPG.89b97e541dca8e4f5f9a25c972c9fa95.JPGDSCN2423.thumb.JPG.6bab69c7b4566dbde1a3db2a4c28f2e7.JPGDSCN2424.thumb.JPG.f0ef632e8ed167c9a4930eace8deb4f0.JPGDSCN2425.thumb.JPG.0a90c9c406e844f0121481cc436020e9.JPGDSCN2421.thumb.JPG.89bd363f22385149e382292321af736c.JPGDSCN2420.thumb.JPG.fa9ea00afefe46e156919cb1a4740cb2.JPGDSCN2419.thumb.JPG.3ec9731db10adc2033dfa1b949a45218.JPGDSCN2418.thumb.JPG.e8b689e87f29e0948400baafb4bd351f.JPG 

She looks  Superb my friend  Full credit to you  what a fantastic job you have done.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Makes me remember one of the old airshows I went to  where there was a mass flypast of  Twelve Biplanes  - wonderful sight.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Super nice build, CDW.   And flight videos are just stunning in my opinion.   Spent more time than I should have watching those on Youtube and following various links around to other videos.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/12/2019 at 4:02 PM, CDW said:

Kermit Weeks takes his Albatros for a ride on a beautiful, sunny Florida day. If you ride east on I-4 out of Tampa toward Orlando, you'll often see Kermit flying one of his vintage warbirds.

Long time ago when I was in the games industry, we had a game con in Tampa one year and had a couple events at Kermit Weeks' museum. One was getting a chance to hear firsthand the story of the only guy in WWII to take off on a mission in a P-51 and land in a FW-190, Colonel Bruce Carr, who arrived at the dinner flying a P-51 at close to 300kts right over our heads as we stood out on the tarmac. I think he was 85 at the time.

Anyway, he got shot down by flak and bailed out and decided to surrender to the Luftwaffe, heading toward a German field. But he changed his mind, and just before dawn he stole a fully fueled and prepped 190, figuring out how to start it and eventually to get the gear up. He flew at treetop height back to his field in France, where he crash landed just before they were about to shoot him to pieces with quad .50s. I know the article says 40mm guns, but I remember Col. Carr very clearly describing them pulling the covers off the quad .50cals on M16 halftracks.

It's a really nice facility, airplane geek heaven.

Now that is a tale for the ages, Vossie.   I needed a good laugh and got it from the part about being on the ground after flying back and senior officer pops his head into the cockpit.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice clean and neat build Craig, particularly like your rigging, very tidy. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

very nice finished model...the wood grain prop and rigging really looks nice :)   I notice you did the lower wing roots......looks great melded into the fuselage.  the whole camo motif really works for the model.........such a sweet build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

22 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the wood grain prop and rigging really looks nice :)   

I tinkered around with a couple of different methods I never tried before on the prop/s, trying for a wood grain, laminated wood finish. The kit comes with four different props, so it allows for some experimentation. The one I liked best for looks, I didn't use. It was done with artist oil paint. It was taking FOREVER to dry though. In hindsight, I should have thinned down the oils with a reducer, like maybe lighter fluid...that would help for a much faster dry time.

I settled on using water color pencils for the prop in the picture. Wetting a fine tipped brush in water, then touching the pencil, and applying the water color that way in multiple coats. Those do a pretty good job of simulating wood grain. I think I need a higher quality set of water color pencils though. 

It was fun and a learning experience.