Finished - Albatros D.V by CDW - Wingnut Wings - 1:32 Scale - Plastic

CDW

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Craig, the motor looks real. Well done.

I hadn't looked at these aircraft. My last squadron flew SPAD VIIs and XIIIs at the tail end of WWI. (yeah, they're that old).  And their 2 kills were Fokker DVIIs. Looks like Wingnut doesn't make SPADs, but they do do the Fokker. Hmmm....

Thanks Ken.

No, WnW hasn't done Spads yet, but I'll bet they will eventually. For now, go for a Roden kit of the Spad. They do it in 1:32. Not sure of fit and finish but should be good.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Richmond said:

The Wingnut Wings Website https://shop.wingnutwings.com/ has massive discounts (many greater than the 25% you quote) for the whole of April while stocks last if you buy direct.

Some of the really expensive models such as the Felixstowe are now more reasonably priced.  I was tempted but I have 2 WNW in my stash and I want to keep to my strict annual budget and besides my stash is getting too big :)

I am stunned at those reduced prices. What a deal.

Here is the new technique I tried.

Step 1 - Paint "plywood area" with a base coat of Tamiya flat white. 

DSCN2334.thumb.jpg.10c73843ae78bf3c679697685184c37a.jpg

Step 2 - Make irregular brush strokes with yellow ochre ink over the primed area.

DSCN2335.thumb.jpg.7cd919dfc62753798d5a881688bdb1cc.jpg

Step 3 - Blend ink (after 10 minutes drying time) using a brush dampened with water and maintain irregular brush strokes.

DSCN2336.thumb.jpg.61517868673e7b2a2692a64435d3c4f2.jpg

Step 4 - Coat of Tamiya clear yellow.

DSCN2337.thumb.jpg.a786b96ee1dc147d2aad6c5656691895.jpg

Step 5 - Coat of Tamiya clear orange.

DSCN2338.thumb.jpg.103fb9c93d8d39b0d5b2ee249c19847b.jpg

Step 6 - Coat of Tamiya clear.

DSCN2339.thumb.jpg.4cf309dddb359f0e5f5118b6e8871d9d.jpg

In retrospect, next time I will make my ink strokes heavier and a little more profound to show the "grain" a little better. I may have gone a little too heavy on the yellow and orange clear coats. Learning experience.

Reminds me a little of Dusty Springfield, too. I vaguely remember that band. C'mon, late 60s college?? NYC FM rock stations were very eclectic in their playlists back then, especially the late , very lamented WNEW=FM 102.7. Very laid back DJs, like Scott Muni, Roscoe and Alison Steele - the Night Bird. <Sigh>

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

very nice progress....the engine looks great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 hours ago, CDW said:

It's their product number 87140. 

Essentially, it's a turpentine and dark ochre oil mix.  

(I should have said "burnt umber" mix)

Ahhh - you threw with wash - I am aware of their panel line accents -  I have only seen these used within panel lines using capillary action not as a panel wash per se.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

13 minutes ago, Richmond said:

Ahhh - you threw with wash - I am aware of their panel line accents -  I have only seen these used within panel lines using capillary action not as a panel wash per se.

Oh yes, they are perfectly suited for use as a wash. Their composition is what we used for many years prior to today's wealth of pre-made wash products.  

Work went slower than I wanted to do the cockpit area, but it was fun and again, a learning experience. While the parts for these Wingnut Wings models are beautifully molded, they are (some) very small and easily broken if handled too heavy. I broke several pieces along the way.

At the forward bulkhead, you'll see the gun magazines in aluminum paint, and a fuel tank in brass paint. Added details not included in the kit are switch levers on the instrument panels made from soft fine brass wire; a bulkhead cover on the aft bulkhead made from paper to simulate a canvas cover on the real plane, fuel lines on the fuel tank made from soft brass wire; control cables made from ez line for the control stick to the control surfaces.

Next is the engine bay.

DSCN2340.thumb.jpg.0c959ca8488f2c3136ed26a78b37b54a.jpgDSCN2341.thumb.jpg.5a92a083acf526dbd02d6826959e338f.jpg

DSCN2349.thumb.jpg.675088d411ce0589f8fd0bae0a0856af.jpgDSCN2350.thumb.jpg.1936708570c971a47281254defb54bc5.jpgDSCN2352.thumb.jpg.e8b9a8818d395c556802a8b8eda96c72.jpgDSCN2353.thumb.jpg.1b20a9073dc7d3307a8304628204aef3.jpgDSCN2354.thumb.jpg.59541c39a27f19439dae04ffe5f4f9fd.jpgv

Some really nice work going on there  - looks so real.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC and JCT, for your support.

Just to give an idea of the fit of this kit, here are some photos that show the dry fit of the fuselage halves with the inner bulkheads inside. Once a little thin Tamiya cement is applied to the seam line, the joint will virtually disappear. A very well engineered kit. With all the inner bulkheads, it's a testament to the company's attention to detail for this to fit that well.

DSCN2355.thumb.jpg.6cc9b11d3c1f9a15967e3ecb360fdcf3.jpgDSCN2356.thumb.jpg.b9449cdb61bd9ee4c845173abaa60fee.jpgDSCN2357.thumb.jpg.851d372caf9279f253c39144dae88e7b.jpgDSCN2358.thumb.jpg.f2e455cb3eb0f04a4faa173e65ec7ee1.jpg 

CDW, the Mercedes D.III engine had three versions, the D.III, the D.IIIa and the D.IIIau, the latter having a higher compression ratio, putting out about 185hp. Now I'm not remember the details but as I recall the D.IIIau had red stripes around at least the first cylinder if not all of them, to indicate to mechanics the different engine as the cylinders and heads were not exchangeable between the D.IIIa and D.IIIau versions. That would be another nice touch for the engine, most late war DVas flew with D.IIIau engines.

Also does the kit have the small strut that was added to the front of the wing V struts, leading to the leading edge? One of the biggest problems of the Albatros-built D.Vs was the single spar lower wing that it inherited from the D.III. This gave it little resistance to twisting, and aerodynamic flutter resulting in loss of one or both lower wings occurred frequently. Later in the war, Albatros tried to address this by adding the small leading edge strut.

Oddly, the Oeffag-built Austrian Albatrosen were much better aircraft. After licensing it for production, the Oeffag engineers corrected many problems, including redesigning the lower wing to have two spars and their aircraft could dive at much higher speeds than the German versions, and were also considerably faster. Only drawback was the Schwarzlose MGs, they were terrible aircraft guns with a slow ROF.

BTW, I have a painting of Fritz Rumey and Josef Mai in D.Vas coming into land at the Jasta 5 field in Cambrai over my fireplace :)

Hi Vossie

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your Albatros knowledge with me. I looked for the extra strut in the kit, but none is supplied. The kit provides marking choices for 5 different aircraft: Eduard Ritter Schleich, Jasta 21, Sept. 1917; Ottomar Hagenmuller MFJ 1, late 1917; Otto Kissenberth, Jasts 16b, mid 1917; Fritz Rumey, Jasta 5, March 1917; Ernest Udet, Jasta 37, mid 1917.

Right now, I am inclined to choose the Rumey version if for no other reason, I like the colorful markings and paint. 

It is pretty clear that these were "Fly by eye" aircraft. Not much in the way of gauges or controls, But still an interesting cockpit, The different colors are a nice change as well. Are they suggested colors or your choice?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

check out some of the decals here:

PheonDecals.com - Home page

I have a 1:28 scale Fokker D VII that is from Raben's Ravens,  Jasta 18.........another squadron from this Jasta is Berthold's Boys.  there are two Albatross sets they show here that are pretty neat.   look'in real good my friend  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

22 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The different colors are a nice change as well. Are they suggested colors or your choice?

The colors used are call outs found in the instructions. The instruction booklet contains quite a few detailed photos of each of the subject sections of the aircraft. Unfortunately the photos are old WW1 black and white, not color.

9 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

check out some of the decals here:

PheonDecals.com - Home page

I have a 1:28 scale Fokker D VII that is from Raben's Ravens,  Jasta 18.........another squadron from this Jasta is Berthold's Boys.  there are two Albatross sets they show here that are pretty neat.   look'in real good my friend  :) 

Denis

Man, those Albatros decal sheets are awesome! It's hard not to love WW1 aircraft for their colorful markings.

Your 1:28 Fokker is not an easy kit to find any more. I think the last time I saw that kit available was around the millennium. Maybe RoG has re released it since then?

it's an older Revell kit...in the Pheon line up,  it number 17.   haven't found out who the pilot was here's a picture of it

2096033427_1.jpg.2e5159f0500de38c1c4713dadb169510.jpg

I'd like to collect a few more of these planes in this scale.......very nice build.  I have a Guillow's Fokker Dr 1 that I want to do in either one of these squadrons {Raben or Berthold}.  I have red and white tissue,  so it may as well be Raben's Dr 1 ;)   20 inch wingspan...gonna be a big girl!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks like they might have benefited by replacing the struts with the type used by the D VII 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree Denis. The Revell line of WW1 aircraft were beautiful. I built the Spad, the DR1, and the Camel long ago. I remember when they came out in the late 60's and built mine then. The D.VII came out way later, so I missed that one. It came out in a period of time when I wasn't buying and building.

I often wondered why Revell chose to model these in 1:28 scale rather than the more popular scales of 1:32 or 1:24.

37 minutes ago, CDW said:

Unfortunately the photos are old WW1 black and white, not color.

Probably just as well. Anything in color would probably have been altered by hand and I would think the accuracy of the colors would be highly doubtful anyway.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey