USS Kearsarge by CDW - Revell - 1:96 Scale - PLASTIC

This will be my place holder for when I begin my build for the early 1960's vintage 1:96 Revell Kearsarge.

The kit box has seen the ravages of time and is collapsed. However, I am fortunate the contents are still sealed in the original plastic bags intact.

There are several things noteworthy about this particular model...

**the first thing that catches my eye is how much better the plastic parts look when I compare them with more modern releases of other 1:96 Revell ship kits. It shows how good those molds were when they first came out.

**the parts are molded in multiple colors of plastic

**the hull halves came pre painted/copper clad from Revell

**note how straight the hull halves are. when dry fitted, it's a much more perfect fit than modern releases of similar Revell ship models. requires little - no pressure at all for the halves to fit tightly together.

My kit instructions were never in the kit (when I first received it). I will have to rely on the CSS Alabama instructions to some degree to determine what goes where if that is possible.

Anyway, I promised some fellows pictures of the Revell USS Kearsarge kit, and here they are.

DSCN2667.thumb.JPG.ecaab63f40b10174e7279bb9812fdf40.JPGDSCN2668.thumb.JPG.e0fd4ca7dad48108601ed6e454b1bc8d.JPGDSCN2670.thumb.JPG.85615d46904729d7fb1a6a7b71150a53.JPGDSCN2671.thumb.JPG.1904e6d0c24db00ed30a64404c7ea2eb.JPGDSCN2672.thumb.JPG.529782cb0ea3ddd734923ef6263d9bd1.JPGDSCN2673.thumb.JPG.8b0cc46d292b6bb1f3d41ee40cd552c2.JPGDSCN2674.thumb.JPG.230c701a80b6a2fc96cdb3c3bfda7dfe.JPGDSCN2675.thumb.JPG.d17248aec7c9c58a24510608f9876575.JPGDSCN2676.thumb.JPG.09447e71c73c392a1d894b10953bbe4f.JPGDSCN2677.thumb.JPG.db0a2d9d0ddd901f338eae5df1940441.JPGDSCN2678.thumb.JPG.2b3b685e5ff045e9eb589f5b39c230f9.JPGDSCN2679.thumb.JPG.f8fd1db83e56e984fc583d3b8027c5a2.JPG

Here yea go, looking forward to your build.

Revell Kearsarge instructions and rigging layout.

USS Kearsarge Revell2004.PDF

USS Kearsarge - rigging with blocks.pdf

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Sorry $700 was an understatement or maybe a different seller - its over a $1,000 with PP -  Maybe you should put it back in the box and get it on Ebay :)

Anyway here it is 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-S-REVELL-USS-KEARSARGE-MODEL-KIT-No-H-391-1200-CIVIL-WAR-STEAM-SLOOP-SHIP/123317340811?hash=item1cb6494a8b:g:9eQAAOSwUZZbdu3p

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

11 hours ago, CDW said:

Jonathan, you are 'da man!

Thanks

CDW, these are from the 2006 kit release from what I understand. Glad to help as I have done a extensive amount of research on Kearsarge for a possible future build. Also BlueJacket does have their plans for sale at their website if you want to advance the build in detailing.  Here's build blog from MSW

I do have some Naval Museum model images  if you want them. Amazing that the kit is still in such great shape for the parts and pieces, watch for cracking on some of them as my Alabama does have cracking on the hull and some pieces just broke in my hands. Looks like yours won't have that problem from what I see, so just a heads up as a possibility. 

Edited by Jonathan11

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Dont know if its the same one  - but there is one on ebay now for $925  excl  postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-S-REVELL-USS-KEARSARGE-MODEL-KIT-No-H-391-1200-CIVIL-WAR-STEAM-SLOOP-SHIP/123317340811?hash=item1cb6494a8b:g:9eQAAOSwUZZbdu3p

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

CDW, these are from the 2006 kit release from what I understand. 

According to Scalemates the 2006 version is a rebox, and it could be of the 1961 kit, therefore not much or indeed anything has changed. Of course there may be other versions in between that have not made it to Scalemates yet.

I also noticed there is a detail up set for the guns - not sure if its still available.

Anyway here is the link for the newer kit -  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05603-civil-war-steam-ship-uss-kearsarge--103477 with kit reviews and walkarounds and of course your version https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-391-uss-kearsarge--194949.

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

for certain you have the early production of the kit ;)   there should be a date stamp....likely on one of the deck sections {that's where it is on the Cutty kit}.  I have seen where Revell Germany is producing some of the 1:96 kits.......uncertain if they are using the original molds.  ......and yes....if it is an older release,  the dollars are up there....especially if there is proof of date and the box and contents are in pristine shape.......I've seen it for $300.00.......the Alabama is right up there too.   odd,  since the Alabama has had two other releases since the first production.  not sure about the Kearsarge.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

I would be very interested in seeing your build once you get started.    I found my kit on facebook last year.    The box looks to be in similar condition to yours.   All the parts are still in the sealed plastic bags.  No cement though!   Judging by the yellowing/aging of the paper inside the box I am thinking this is an old kit.

kearsarge kit.JPG

On 6/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, CDW said:

**the hull halves came pre painted/copper clad from Revell

It's a second run Revell kit from the '60's of the old Adams molds of the late '50's.... in their day they were the top of the plastic modeling world....

The 1/96th Connie is from the same class and company.... (and I would say that the molds have held up well seeing as they are in their third iteration)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

when I bought the U.S.S. United States back in the 90's,  I paid $89.99 for it........I believe that's what the others in the series went for.  I built the C.S.S. Alabama.....Also built the U.S.S.Constitution and the Cutty Sark.  I've already built my second Cutty Sark,  and I've got in my stash another United States and Connie kit.  these were great kits back in the day......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

9 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've got in my stash another United States and Connie kit.  these were great kits back in the day

Yeah, I've got the Connie in mine as well along with the Heller Victory, someday I'll get around to building it again.....

That particular Kearsarge kit today sells for well over 1,000 dollars if you can find one in mint condition... There's a guy that has a beat up one from his stash on evilbay CA right now and he got a 1,200C price on it It's the only one available for sale.... And actually Revell re-released the Kearsarge kit a few years back.....

The kit being offered is a builder grade kit not a collector grade.... so one needs to be careful with the old stuff.... It's one of the reasons I got out of kit collecting, there are several that are worth it but most of the old classics have been re-released over the last decade or so and aren't really worth that much anymore..... The last one I bought was a Heller La Reale De France mint in a perfect box..... and three months later Heller re-releases it.... It's like any other investment in old items, The internet and online auctions has really hurt the kit collectors valuations hard and has almost extinguished the market for them..... (although there are still a few rare gems out there if you can find one)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Actually, I have both Kearsarge and Alabama, plus Connie and a Cutty Sark from the 60ies (no Sails). Since I am still occupied with my plans restauration work and some other endeavors, I would be willing to hand them over to somebody who has more need. If interested, post a personal message. Pls keep in mind the size of the boxes and they are based in Mönchengladbach/Germany (near Cologne).

Greetings

Thomas

The $1050.00 listing is still there on eBay but it seems that they are commonly available even on eBay at $200 or less.

The fantastic aftermarket sail set from Hismodel is available @ $70 though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-USS-Kearsarge-1-96-set-of-Standard-sails-for-mode-sewed-on-CNC-machine/224069164620?hash=item342b901e4c:g:X4MAAOSwnNVfq~Uc 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

but it seems that they are commonly available even on eBay at $200 or less.

Unfortunately brother there are only two Revell H391's on American Ebay according to Picclick, (Ebay indexer) the 1,050.00 (including shipping which has been available at that price since September) and the one for 174.00 (shipped) that is 2/3rds built and obviously been sitting on someone's shelf for an untold number of years... (based upon the dust and dirt all over the already assembled hull, a massive cleaning job before you could ever hope to finish it and the seller, who isn't the original owner, doesn't know if it is complete)

All the other auctions for Kearsarge are for accessories for that 1/96 kit or for the 1/700th LHD.... Revell Germany's #05603 (2004 reissue) has been out of stock since 2013..... It's a very popular model and it seems like there are none of them available at this time....

It's a real gem if you can find one..... Either the original or the reissue

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

As usual, I suppose I was not precise enough in my comment, favoring a general statement trying to cover a period of time in general. I based the statement on prior sold listings on eBay over the last few months. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1312&_nkw=Revell+USS+Kearsarge&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=0&_odkw=Revell+USS+Kearsarge+1%2F96&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

In the second part of my statement I was not referring to what was PRESENTLY available but what HAD been sold over the last few months. Again it was meant as a general statement without regard to condition or location. On a slightly closer inspection, and I do mean SLIGHTLY, it appears that there has been as many as eight kits sold in the last few months on eBay alone. While this does include two more modern kits, both in the UK it of course does not include the $1000, (+ $50 for shipping) kit available that as you say has not, and will probably not sell at that price. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The model # is H-391 the 1200 is the pressing number, smaller is earlier.... The oldest one I've ever seen offered for sale was H-391:264 The second number has nothing to do with the model itself but the production schedule it was pressed under...

Quote:

51 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I based the statement on prior sold listings on eBay over the last few months.

Good point brother, if you ARE actually looking to buy, sold listings on e-bay is the best place to start, it is where I would start..... that way you have the general value of the kit in question. It appears to me as the kit is worth somewhere between 200 and 250 retail not counting shipping... (if you can locate a retailer that has one) and it absolute proof why that other one for a grand is still sitting there, it simply isn't worth a thousand dollars... So if you find a listing for the original 1961 kit below 200.00 shipped as a BIN, (for an untouched kit) you have a good deal given current market conditions... I would not pay more than 80.00 for the Revell Germany re-issue in untouched condition....

That is how I approached buying rare model kits back in the day, it's been over a decade since I've had my fingers in the market, but it doesn't appear that much has changed outside of there being fewer rare kits nowadays compared to back then....

Do your research first....

Thanks Lou....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

It is always the same: Once you have located a kit, you have to see how it gets to your desk. Transfer cost, customs, taxes can be ugly.

As far as it concerns REVELL Germany: They are looking closely on the used kits market to get their inspiration what kit to re-publish. I used to visit them a few years ago and wrote an article in our LOGBUCH about it. Most impressive was their storage of moulds. Great! It felt like seeing at my own teenager time while wandering around in that warehouse.

One has to understand that REVELL puts huge effort in re-working old moulds before re-publishing a kit. We were shown the works on the moulds of the 1:48 Mitchell bomber. Since moulds are, even as the strong steel blocks they are, worn out by the time. In order not to publish a kit that looks as worn out with low precision, the old moulds are worked over intensely, test-shots are run, the moulds reworked until the „old new“ kit meets the standard. I still love those olde kits like the USS MISSOURY, the USS CONSTITUTION or the old 1:48 scale Monogram propfighters.

Regards

Thomas

most of the time,  there are tell tale aspects to be able to tell which production it is.  it does make a difference to a savvy collector.  I have been chatting with a fellow from the Netherlands,  and he suggested I look at the Scalemates site.   here you can see a production timeline and box changes along the way.  I bought the Budweiser Clydesdale wagon model a short time back,  and until the other day,  I had been hard pressed to find out when it was produced.  interesting to find that it was produced in 1978.  the bad thing about the kit,  is that it has stick on decaling and they are kinda degraded..beginning to peel off the backings.  I've been looking for them,  but it's looking like I'll be making decals and fudging the rest with paint.  the site lists thousands of known models  amazing how many Connie,  Cutty,  and Victory models there are out there!   the do list the C.S.S. Alabama and the U.S.S. Kearsarge.  they show you how many folks on the site have the kit......I guess it's up to you to see if they are willing to part with it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yesirree brother, Scalemates is the best modelers resource out there, but even with that being said, they don't have everything. and as far as old models there are some that aren't even listed on the web, anywhere....

Two years ago I went into my local hobby shop with one such kit, an original Idea toy company turtle ship, the rubber band powered one.... along with a few of their motorized tanks.... Untouched in mint boxes....

The owner of the store took them in trade and gave me run of the store choosing any five models he had in the shop, I went home with over 1,000.00 worth of models that day....

When I went back the next day, the turtle ship and two of the motorized tanks were long gone, (probably in his personal stash) and he had a huge smile on his face...... Was more than happy to make the exchange.... There is some very very rare stuff out there that never sees the likes of auction sites or old model kits....

Quote:

• 1 year later...

Just got a re-issue version for £40 on eBay, sounds like I got very lucky - I was the only bidder! Very excited to see it when it arrives, looks like a very interesting kit, though I won’t be starting it for quite a while.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.